Objectivism Online Forum

Rand in Pop Culture

Rate this topic

So, the other night I thought I'd search for Wikipedia articles that link to Ayn Rand's page and see what turns up. Here's some of the areas which Rand apparently indirectly influenced.

Did you know Rand has her own asteroid named after her? Yep. I know there are thousands so perhaps it's not entirely shocking but still kinda cool. According to the article the "10895 Aynrand is a Main-belt Asteroid discovered on October 11, 1997 by G. R. Viscome at Rand Observatory". Naturally you'd wonder if the observatory is named after her too or just a coincidence? I'm unable to find out anything else about it however.

O.T. Nelson allegedly describes his novel "The Girl Who Owned a City" as "his intent in writing the novel was to translate the Objectivist philosophy of Ayn Rand into terms children could understand." I had never heard of it before so I can't say if it's any good but I'm generally skeptical of the quality of anything produced in the 70's.

There are three separate musical groups bearing names inspired by Rand's fiction. Two chosen for their meaning and one which just thought it sounded good.

One is a solo singer/songwriter named "Roark" (website / myspace). According to his wiki page: "He chose the name Roark from a favorite novel, Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead," and its protagonist, Howard Roark. "I wanted to take something with meaning, as opposed to just looking through the dictionary for random words."

The other is a band of three musicians called "We the Living" (website / myspace) It seems as though the previous incarnation of their band may also have been Rand inspired, which was named "The Profits". Quoting the interview: "Roney was also a student of law and philosophy during his years at the UW. He grew up in Baraboo and spent seven years of his childhood in the Madison Boychoir. His new band, We the Living, are named after the Ayn Rand book and are guided by the idea that people need to stand for something." Edit: the singer has a blog as well.

On top of that the band "Collective Soul" apparently took it's name from a line in The Fountainhead, which is "collection of souls" (of course she meant it negatively).

Personally, none of their music is my style but I still find it interesting Rand's influence has found it's way into such different areas.

Edited by IchorFigure

O.T. Nelson allegedly describes his novel "The Girl Who Owned a City" as "his intent in writing the novel was to translate the Objectivist philosophy of Ayn Rand into terms children could understand." I had never heard of it before so I can't say if it's any good but I'm generally skeptical of the quality of anything produced in the 70's.

I read that book when I was a kid and liked it. Can't remember what it's about anymore though...

The "Bioshock" video games are full of warped references to Ayn Rand.

Although there are several big misconceptions found in BioShock, one shouldn't dismiss the game entirely because of those. Apart from being a high quality game in general, the city of Rapture and the character Andrew Ryan are captivating.

Rush's song "Anthem" and album 2112. But that's old hat. Less know is the Simon and Garfunkle line "I've been branded and Ayn Randed a communist because I'm left handed." (Or something like that.)

So, the other night I thought I'd search for Wikipedia articles that link to Ayn Rand's page and see what turns up. Here's some of the areas which Rand apparently indirectly influenced.

Did you know Rand has her own asteroid named after her? Yep. I know there are thousands so perhaps it's not entirely shocking but still kinda cool. According to the article the "10895 Aynrand is a Main-belt Asteroid discovered on October 11, 1997 by G. R. Viscome at Rand Observatory". Naturally you'd wonder if the observatory is named after her too or just a coincidence? I'm unable to find out anything else about it however.

There are three separate musical groups bearing names inspired by Rand's fiction. Two chosen for their meaning and one which just thought it sounded good.

One is a solo singer/songwriter named "Roark" (website / myspace). According to his wiki page: "He chose the name Roark from a favorite novel, Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead," and its protagonist, Howard Roark. "I wanted to take something with meaning, as opposed to just looking through the dictionary for random words."

The other is a band of three musicians called "We the Living" (website / myspace) It seems as though the previous incarnation of their band may also have been Rand inspired, which was named "The Profits". Quoting the interview: "Roney was also a student of law and philosophy during his years at the UW. He grew up in Baraboo and spent seven years of his childhood in the Madison Boychoir. His new band, We the Living, are named after the Ayn Rand book and are guided by the idea that people need to stand for something." Edit: the singer has a blog as well.

On top of that the band "Collective Soul" apparently took it's name from a line in The Fountainhead, which is "collection of souls" (of course she meant it negatively).

Personally, none of their music is my style but I still find it interesting Rand's influence has found it's way into such different areas.

Edited by spaceplayer

The line if from "A Simple Desultory Phillipic" fronm PARSELY, SAGE ROSEMARY AND THYME and is "I bee Rolling Stoned and Beatled til I'm blind. I been Ayn Randed and nearly branded a Communist cause I'm left-handed. That's the hand to use. Well, Never Mind" from 1966-7

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...n+and+garfunkel

A band out of the Boston area in teh 1990 timeframe called Atlas Shrugged

Edited by Space Patroller

Apparently the Rand Observatory IS named after her. Here you can find info on 'her" asteroid, and the claim that the person who built the observatory as a tribute to her. One G. R. Viscome apparently...who seems to be pretty unknown, at least according to Google.

Apparently the Rand Observatory IS named after her. Here you can find info on 'her" asteroid, and the claim that the person who built the observatory as a tribute to her. One G. R. Viscome apparently...who seems to be pretty unknown, at least according to Google.

Ha! Wow that's cool, good find.

Here's a notable actress I found through the wiki links who cites being highly influenced by Rand. According to her page, Amber Heard is quoted as saying "After the death of her friend, Heard met her first serious boyfriend, who introduced her to the writings of Russian-born atheist Ayn Rand. "I've read all of her books," says Heard. "Ever since then, I have been obsessed with her ideals. All I've ever needed is myself."

One other thing, which is a reminder. The new episode of the Simpsons which parodies the Fountainhead will be on this sunday I believe. The Simpsons has snubbed Rand in the past so I'm curious how it turns out.

That is waa-a-ay outtasite

I wonder If I can integrate that with Space Patrol? Warren Chaney (Director at SMALLVILLE and a huge SP fan) will kill me: He knows a bit about Rand but thinks she has an "Existentialist" attitude

c1998 I saw a rerun of JEOPARDY in which the members of a book club, the name of which I forget, were asked to name the book that had the most influence on them and the answer was THE FOUNTAINHEAD

Of course there are many perosons who take from Rand only what they want, I've known a couple who think that Rand was advocating "if you want it just take it" hedonism devoid of any rationality. This shows up in DIRTY DANCING

Edited by Space Patroller

I really liked 'the girl who owned a city' when I was younger. A virus runs through the population that kills everyone over 15(ish), and for a while the kids riot and form gangs until one girl finds a fortress-like city and recruits other good kids who can be productive. They even get the power running again. I don't remember much more than that, but as I recall it had some good messages regarding productivity, self-defense, and rationality, among others.

• 2 weeks later...
I really liked 'the girl who owned a city' when I was younger. A virus runs through the population that kills everyone over 15(ish), and for a while the kids riot and form gangs until one girl finds a fortress-like city and recruits other good kids who can be productive. They even get the power running again. I don't remember much more than that, but as I recall it had some good messages regarding productivity, self-defense, and rationality, among others.

Maybe I should check it out someday.

Here's a website I stumbled across today for a company called Ellist Wyatt Interactive. It's not exactly pop culture but I liked the Art Deco flash banner too much to not comment on it.