Objectivism Online Forum

Dealing With Juvenile Delinquency

Rate this topic

AllSeeingEar

So when your child starts to run out into a busy street, you're not going to stop them? C'mon, a parent does have the moral authority (and responsibility) to use force on their children.

Heinlein never had any children. If he had, he would be aware of the fact that children don't associate the pain of a beating with whatever it is they did wrong--they associate it, correctly, with the parent or authority figure delivering the punishment. The only thing punishments of this type accomplish is teaching the children to hate and distrust their parents and become experts at deception.

I don't think the corporal punishment system was the main thrust of that quote. The main part was our revolving door justice system for "children" up to 17 years old.

I don't think the corporal punishment system was the main thrust of that quote. The main part was our revolving door justice system for "children" up to 17 years old.

Unlike others in this thread, I've read the entire book many times--in fact, I just finished re-reading it last week. The application of corporal punishment is, in that book, considered to be *the* way to properly discipline children *and adults*. Yes, he complains about the revolving-door justice system, but the corporal punishment idea is much larger than that single complaint and runs throughout a large portion of the book.