Objectivism Online Forum

Intelligent women enjoy sex more than 'bimbos'

Rate this topic

A study of more than 2,000 female twins showed that those with greater emotional intelligence had larger numbers of orgasms.

Emotional intelligence (EI) is the ability to monitor and manage feelings and emotions in oneself and others.

The findings suggest that low EI is a risk factor for female orgasmic disorder, one of the most common sexual problems suffered by women.

Up to 30 per cent of women find it difficult or impossible to reach a climax during sexual intercourse. Women in the bottom 25 per cent of the emotional intelligence range had twice the normal risk of infrequent orgasm.

Lead author, psychologist Andrea Burri, from King's College, said: "Emotional intelligence seems to have a direct impact on women's sexual functioning by influencing her ability to communicate her sexual expectations and desires to her partner."

The results of the study appear today in The Journal of Sexual Medicine.

FULL ARTICLE HERE from the UK Telegraph

----------------

I am not sure how many grains of salt to take this with, but it was kind of interesting / funny, none-the-less.

Do you guys notice this correlation in your own history of sexual partners?

EI + maturity .... absolutely. (any aspect of life will be better given that combination)

That's weird. I've always, how should I say this, "worked" just fine, and my fellow and I have some great times in bed. But I never considered myself emotionally intelligent before. General intelligence sure, no question, but I always think of myself as someone who's smart about everything BUT people, who generally mystify me, and I don't consider myself particularly empathetic which I thought was part of EI. On the other hand, I have almost too much empathy for the people I care about so maybe that's why, it's just a matter of the person's value to me.

An attractive woman with no brains.

Huh. In my experience attractive women are usually quite emotionally intelligent, in fact well beyond average people. They have to be, to be able to pick up on small signs of trouble when selecting between the many willing partners they encounter on a daily basis.

I'd say the opposite of emotionally intelligent women would be emotionally unintelligent women, not bimbos. So why use the word at all, especially since the study is conducted on twins, who tend to look alike?

So why use the word at all, especially since the study is conducted on twins, who tend to look alike?

The word 'bimbo' was used in the header of the story (which i copy/pasted into the title of the post), and I'm sure was the choice of the writer/editor -- for shock value -- and not a word used by the scientists in their journal article.

Edited by athena glaukopis

I think it makes sense that people(not just women) with a high EI have better sex. Those who can manage their emotions well are likely more secure, mature and understand and communicate better with their partners - empathy should also help in taking pleasure in each others pleasure. They are more in tune with themselves and their partners which should make it easier to just let go and enjoy it. On the opposite side we have insecurities, weird hang-ups, poor communication and understanding as well as no connection with the partner.

I can't say i'm drawing these conclusions from my own experience though, because they have been few and I prefer emotionally mature women.

• 2 weeks later...

Emotional Intelligence IS NOT Intelligence itself. I've read that women of the classical kind of intelligence actually have trouble having orgasms. I really don't like that the article confuses being socially comfortable and being able to understand abstract reasoning.

Emotional Intelligence IS NOT Intelligence itself. I've read that women of the classical kind of intelligence actually have trouble having orgasms. I really don't like that the article confuses being socially comfortable and being able to understand abstract reasoning.

Heh...well, at least I don't have THAT problem. My IQ is just shy of 190 and thirty seconds or less is not unusual for me, if ya know what I mean. I'm really glad I'm not a guy or I'd be the worst lover EVER. Luckily women just keep goin.

I'm a mild Aspie, which pre-supposes a low EI. At the same time, I would hardly refer to myself as a 'bimbo', and I don't really think any former partners would either -- I don't care for the either/or aspect of the title, but the findings are interesting.

If I have a high overall intellectual compatibility with someone and we have sex, it has always been very satisfying. For me, that has always been a prerequisite for any type of emotional interaction, one which I'm unwilling to compromise. That being said, I shudder to think what would happen if I had sex with someone who I felt to be daft.

In general this is in line with what I have seen, both in relationships, and in neuroscience. (In college undergrad courses.) Emotional involvement in the act is one of the major factors in the power and time a biochemical response, (such as orgasm) is triggered within the brain, and therefore it makes sense that people who better understand the emotions that they have will have a better sex life. That said, it is not the only factor. Biology, mental health, emotional attachment to a partner, age, and past experiences will all play a part as well.

I've seen their bread trucks around town. I laugh every time.

Oh, there's more to laugh about. Have you seen their mascot? It's a cutesy bear cub that looks as though he's made out of bread dough, he wears an apron and a chef's hat emblazoned with a "B."

It gets better. Back when elections were an excercise in political theatrics (only one party ever won them), many people nulled their vote by writting-in a candidate. One popular write-in was Bimbo's mascot, known as "El Osito Bimbo" (The Little Bimbo Bear).

It can work the other way around, too. Back in the 70s there was a campaign by Parker Pens translated from Engish to Spanish. The English slogan reffered to using their pens to "Avoid Embarrasment." This was misstranslated into Spanish as "Evite el Embarazo," which means "Avoid Pregnancy."

I've also heard that the sounds "Coca-Cola" literally mean some nonsense phrase in various Chinese dialects.

Oh, there's more to laugh about. Have you seen their mascot? It's a cutesy bear cub that looks as though he's made out of bread dough, he wears an apron and a chef's hat emblazoned with a "B."

It gets better. Back when elections were an excercise in political theatrics (only one party ever won them), many people nulled their vote by writting-in a candidate. One popular write-in was Bimbo's mascot, known as "El Osito Bimbo" (The Little Bimbo Bear).

It can work the other way around, too. Back in the 70s there was a campaign by Parker Pens translated from Engish to Spanish. The English slogan reffered to using their pens to "Avoid Embarrasment." This was misstranslated into Spanish as "Evite el Embarazo," which means "Avoid Pregnancy."

I've also heard that the sounds "Coca-Cola" literally mean some nonsense phrase in various Chinese dialects.

Yes, I've seen the little Bear and he looks like a fifties throwback. He's cute but also vaguely terrifying. The mistranslation is hilarious - I remember in high-school Spanish us ladies were cautioned about the false phoneme "embarazada," of which the improper use could cause, well, embarassment.

Yes, I've seen the little Bear and he looks like a fifties throwback. He's cute but also vaguely terrifying.

He's very old. Probably dates back to the 50s if not earlier.

As for terrifying, many brand mascots are vaguely so. But MS's Clippy is really terrifying :P

The mistranslation is hilarious - I remember in high-school Spanish us ladies were cautioned about the false phoneme "embarazada," of which the improper use could cause, well, embarassment.

The Spanish word "embarazoso" does mean "embarrasing." It's not use dmuch (not in Mexico, anyway, other countries sue Spanish differently, including the Spaniards)

Bibendum isn't terrifying! :P

That's a matter of opinion. He does remind me of the Marshmallow Man in Ghostbusters.

Hmm. Bibendum... Bimbo... ;)

Seriously, the fixed cheerful grin in many such mascots is creepy. Like the old-time clowns who had a smile drawn on their faces. Why do you think the Joker is so effective in Batman? He's always mindlessly smiling.