Objectivism Online Forum

Things Like These Make Me Smile

Rate this topic

Today I had a job interview for a marketing role. Anyway, the employer was looking through my resume while interviewing me and was probing me on certain points. He gets to the section of my resume that lists my interests and sees reading. He asks me what I like to read.

Me: I mainly read fiction. My favourite is Ayn Rand.

Him (in a very toneless voice): So you're selfish?

Me: In the way that Ayn Rand defined it, yes.

Him: You believe in Laissez Faire Capitalism and no welfare for anyone?

Me: That's right.

Him: You always try to be rational?

Me: Absolutely.

Him (smiling): I just put a big tick next to your name.

:o

sounds like someone is getting hired... :confused: my geography professor recently had us fill out "profile" cards in wich we write stuff like nicknames, place where we were born and interests... I jotted down "Huge Ayn Rand Fan". The next time he called role though as he said my name he looked at me and said "ah yes... ms. gil-james..." and frowned. he had mentioned at the first class meeting that he was an avid environmentalist so I knew what I was doing....but I had to anyways.

Sounds like you had a great interview. I'm glad to hear that there are other people out there who value logic and reason.

However, from the standpoint of an HR person and hiring manager, that line of questioning curls my toes. You almost always avoid asking people about their hobbies etc because this kind of stuff just may come out. That manager as well intentioned as he was set him and his company up for a lawsuit. All it would take is someone who isn't an Objectivist that didn't get the job to find out and 1-2-3 they can claim discrimination. Chances are in a court they wouldn't win but it'll take you thousands if not tens of thousands to defend yourself and settle.

It's really sad that I think like that but having interviewed so many people, I've learned to be subtle about it. Like I've got a copy of AS, a Peanuts book, and some technical manuals on my desk. I can judge how observant the applicant is by if they bring the books up and which do they talk about. It tellls me a little about the person. Even then, I try to disuade them from talking about the books.

So for those Objectivists that interview people, please be careful. Even the most well meaning and rule following person will get sued, it's sadly a matter of mitigating risk as much as possible.

Today I had a job interview for a marketing role. Anyway, the employer was looking through my resume while interviewing me and was probing me on certain points. He gets to the section of my resume that lists my interests and sees reading. He asks me what I like to read.

Me: I mainly read fiction. My favourite is Ayn Rand.

Him (in a very toneless voice): So you're selfish?

Me: In the way that Ayn Rand defined it, yes.

Him: You believe in Laissez Faire Capitalism and no welfare for anyone?

Me: That's right.

Him: You always try to be rational?

Me: Absolutely.

Him (smiling): I just put a big tick next to your name.

:)

However, from the standpoint of an HR person and hiring manager, that line of questioning curls my toes. You almost always avoid asking people about their hobbies etc because this kind of stuff just may come out. That manager as well intentioned as he was set him and his company up for a lawsuit. All it would take is someone who isn't an Objectivist that didn't get the job to find out and 1-2-3 they can claim discrimination.  Chances are in a court they wouldn't win but it'll take you thousands if not tens of thousands to defend yourself and settle. 

Yes, I know - this is why I was so surprised at him asking such explicit questions. Most other interviewers ask such trite rubbish that it makes made sick.

And getting the job is certainly not guaranteed. I still need to be interviewed by 2 more individuals and then a panel. Also thrown in are IQ and psychological tests. So all I'm certain about at the moment is that I will progress to the next round.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I didn't think it was necessary to start a whole new thread for this, but along the lines of, "Things that make me smile" something small, but nice, happened today. I work at a fast food restaurant, and this woman came through the drive-through this morning. I noticed a book in her passenger seat at one point, and it was, "The Virtue of Selfishness." It was nice seeing a random person have that book with them, and I told her, "That's a very good book." To which she replied, smiling, "I'm glad you think so." Now I'm not completely postitive whether that was a sarcastic comment or not, hehe. Like I said, small thing, but nice to see.