Objectivism Online Forum

Hegelian dialectic

Rate this topic

What's the deal with this from an Objectivism view?

I'm trying to grasp the concept of this dialectics thing so I can form an view on it, but the phrase "wtf" is the only thing that comes up after every try.

Edited by IRn101

The thing is, a friend of mine was apparently taught this dialectics thing as his reasoning method for philosophy. Whenever we start talking about philosophy, it's like our language totally differ. He has this annoying habit of keep agreeing to things then started to argue against them right after, which I attribute it to this dialectics.

But the point is, I want to grasp the concept of dialectics to point out its flaws. So far I'm getting the understanding this system of reasoning believes every idea/point-of-view/philosophy-system has an extreme opposite, and the goal is to find that opposite idea and then somehow synthesis the both of them. And the idea is that the end product is somehow better, or "transcends" it's two progenitors.

So far from my limited understanding of this thing, I think the flaw "Garbage in Garbage out" applies. I'm hoping others here who knows better might want to elaborate on the topic.

The thing is, a friend of mine was apparently taught this dialectics thing as his reasoning method for philosophy. Whenever we start talking about philosophy, it's like our language totally differ. He has this annoying habit of keep agreeing to things then started to argue against them right after, which I attribute it to this dialectics.

Hmm. This may be what I was taught to use. Could you recount an example of your friend using this against you?

Edited by ctrl y

Hmm. This may be what I was taught to use. Could you recount an example of your friend using this against you?

That's the thing, he doesn't.

It's like to him, every ideas/philosophical system is the "same", and regard them on equal grounds, where's there's no right and wrong. He would bring up all sorts of views for the sake of just bringing them up, and regards Objectivism just one among the many sheeps that should be flexible enough to be "synthesized" with other systems.

Upon further study on the dialectic thing. Apparently the system seems to give no distinction between the metaphysically given and the man made. To this system of reasoning, every idea is somehow a metaphysically given, and there's no right and wrong to it, it regard ideas just is. And if you trace this reasoning back, the system becomes true to it's materialistic root and does not recognize human consciousness (volition..etc.), that's the very reason it regards all ideas as metaphysically given and the human mind some sort of factory that produces them mechanically.

So with this foundation, Hegel goes to say that every ideas has it's metaphysically opposite, the anti-thesis (yin-yang..etc.), but if you logically scrutinize both opposite ideas enough, you can somehow bridge them together to arrive at an new idea that transcends the 2 previous ones. And if you keep doing this with all ideas, you will keep getting closer and closer to the one "ultimate truth".

So yeah, so far the fundamental flaw of this dialectic thing from what I've researched is that: Rejects human conciousness/volition ---> regards all ideas streamed from human mind as metaphysically given with no right or wrong.

I made this thread to double check my concepts and conclusions. Didn't expect only so few here dug into this Dialectic thing before, considering it was the reasoning method, and only philosophically system taught to the whole 60-70's generation in Asia.