Objectivism Online Forum

When politicians hit the law of causality

Rate this topic

MichaelH

KPFA had an interview with a politician from Sacramento this afternoon. A quick recap: the state of California is many, many billions of dollars short of being able to pay its bills. (Current estimates are $21 billion.) Voters made it clear in a recent initiative ballot that they do not want new taxes or budget-shuffling to make up the difference. The state has to cut spending.

The governor has suggested completely cutting state welfare, and state-sponsored health care for children. The politician being interviewed was articulate but panicked on the radio; "Spending is down, taxes are down, there's just no more dollars in the chest! Nobody will lend us money!" <snip> "The governor's cuts are draconian! They'll hurt people!"

The host asked, reasonably, "Well, then, what should we cut?"

The politician almost wailed into the microphone: "I don't know! I don't know what else we can cut! But if we cut this, children won't have health coverage!"

The host: "So there's no alternative..."

"There's no alternative plan! There's no alternative plan in place!"

It's right out of Atlas Shrugged. Things are collapsing, and they can't cope. This person was terrified by "If we cut health care for children, the children won't have health care!" Yes. That's cause and effect. Welcome to being a rational person.

(For the record, the host suggested an Obama federal funds bailout, and the politician said it wasn't going to happen.)

Attention politicians: welcome to the real world, where actions have consequences. We hope you'll enjoy your stay.

Moderator's Note: khaight and Space Patroller, I deleted your posts. I know this is a subject that makes it difficult to maintain a civil tone, but we have an explicit prohibition on vulgarity in the Forum Rules, so please try to observe it.

Roger that.

Moderator's Note: khaight and Space Patroller, I deleted your posts. I know this is a subject that makes it difficult to maintain a civil tone, but we have an explicit prohibition on vulgarity in the Forum Rules, so please try to observe it.

Very well, I shall try again.

Attention politicians: welcome to the real world, where actions have consequences. We hope you'll enjoy your stay.

Honestly, I hope they don't. I want them to be frakking miserable.