Objectivism Online Forum

Can a little 'altruism' be a value, like Charity?

Rate this topic

F*ckCommunism

what about altruistic careers?

i know a few people who want to become psychologists or physical therapists-isnt that a good thing to help teach people to become more self sufficient?

the reasons for the careers i hear are "i like helping people and seeing them overcome their difficulties" and 'i like to work with people'

?

Edited by dawn_w

I know a few people who want to become psychologists or physical therapists-isnt that a good thing to help teach people to become more self sufficient?

Why single out psychology and physical therapists? How about teachers, personal trainers, and steel-workers. For instance, an architect might say he wants to help people live in affordable, beautiful, functional houses. Bill Gates might say he wants to help people use computers easily.

You'd have to dig below that first statement to see if it is a superficially altruistic formulation or if the person is truly altruistic.

Why single out psychology and physical therapists? How about teachers, personal trainers, and steel-workers. For instance, an architect might say he wants to help people live in affordable, beautiful, functional houses. Bill Gates might say he wants to help people use computers easily.

You'd have to dig below that first statement to see if it is a superficially altruistic formulation or if the person is truly altruistic.

well i am just talking about people i know who told me they were going into those fields-of course you can expand on it like you did in your reply.

you are right-you do have to dig below it-have to think on that one.

what is the objectivist opinion on superficial altruism and true altrusim? forgive me on this one-i am new to the philosophy-maybe this would be better off in the question forum?

thanks

dawn

I should rephrase that-superficial altruism of course is not a good thing-what is the Objectivist opinion on true altruism?
According to Objectivism, altruism is not good. The more truly altruistic you are, the more evil you are (ceteris paribus). So, for instance, someone who holds an explicit altruistic philosophy but really helps people only because he thinks it'll get him into heaven, is -- in that regard -- less evil than a person who sacrifices himself "because it is right to sacrifice and to suffer".

Therefore, if a person's altruism is superficial, I'd question why he needs even that much; however, I would typically give him the benefit of the doubt.

According to Objectivism, altruism is not good. The more truly altruistic you are, the more evil you are (ceteris paribus). So, for instance, someone who holds an explicit altruistic philosophy but really helps people only because he thinks it'll get him into heaven, is -- in that regard -- less evil than a person who sacrifices himself "because it is right to sacrifice and to suffer".

Therefore, if a person's altruism is superficial, I'd question why he needs even that much; however, I would typically give him the benefit of the doubt.

thank you.

d.