Objectivism Online Forum

ABC's Earth 2100

Rate this topic

gags

Is anyone watching ABC's "Earth 2100"? It's currently showing and only 35 or so minutes into it, I have to say that it's the biggest bunch of crap I've seen in a long time.

The show is an incredibly alarmist look at how our civilization will have collapsed by 2100 if we don't seriously cut back our current living standard. They are showing the fictional life of an imaginary woman born today and how all hell breaks loose over the next several decades. They are illustrating this woman’s story by showing an unending parade of enviro-freaks talking about global warming, food shortages, energy shortages, plagues, massive storms, floods, etc….. all caused by mankind using the incandescent light bulb and driving Hummers. They just showed a scene where Las Vegas is suffering from water shortages because evil capitalist companies running de-salination plants decided to cut off all water supplies. Now there is a riot as people from Mexico stream across the border and the police gun them down. This thing makes Gore's movie look like a conservative, low key assessment of how the planet has a really bright future.

Apparently ABC is now in the business of shilling for Obama's carbon tax. This is grotesque and beyond belief. There hasn't been a single voice of sanity on the show so far.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Earth2100

Is anyone watching ABC's "Earth 2100"? It's currently showing and only 35 or so minutes into it, I have to say that it's the biggest bunch of crap I've seen in a long time.

The show is an incredibly alarmist look at how our civilization will have collapsed by 2100 if we don't seriously cut back our current living standard. They are showing the fictional life of an imaginary woman born today and how all hell breaks loose over the next several decades. They are illustrating this woman’s story by showing an unending parade of enviro-freaks talking about global warming, food shortages, energy shortages, plagues, massive storms, floods, etc….. all caused by mankind using the incandescent light bulb and driving Hummers. They just showed a scene where Las Vegas is suffering from water shortages because evil capitalist companies running de-salination plants decided to cut off all water supplies. Now there is a riot as people from Mexico stream across the border and the police gun them down. This thing makes Gore's movie look like a conservative, low key assessment of how the planet has a really bright future.

Apparently ABC is now in the business of shilling for Obama's carbon tax. This is grotesque and beyond belief. There hasn't been a single voice of sanity on the show so far.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Earth2100

Yeah, we have it on right now. It all seems incredibly speculative.

It all seems incredibly speculative.

In an age when technological advancement is proceeding faster than it ever has in human history, this show takes the view that technology will stand still for the next 100 years while the planet's population explodes and resources disappear. Its absurd.

They just showed a scene where Las Vegas is suffering from water shortages because evil capitalist companies running de-salination plants decided to cut off all water supplies.

Pfft. That alone is the kiss of death for this program's credibility. It's not science, it is naked propaganda.

JJM

I watched a total of about 2 minutes where they were talking about the consumption of beef and how "Americans" couldn't expect people in the rest of the world to eat like them so they had better cut back.

Yes... Absolutely... If I don't eat Alberta beef, that means some tribesman in Africa will suddenly see a porterhouse appear on his plate... (if he doesn't have some superstitious prohibition from eating cows meat in the first place).:)

The damn show ran for an excruciating two hours. My eyes glazed over after the first 10 minutes, but I continued half watching and doing other things for about an hour. I then tuned back in for the last 10 minutes and got a chuckle when their "experts" told us about solutions that would help save the planet. Apparently, we all need to grow gardens (here in Michigan that works for about 4 months of the year) and start using compact flourescent bulbs. We also need to start driving cars that seat two, fold up when you park them and are owned communally. If we take these simple steps, then everything will be OK and our grandchildren will still have a planet on which they can live a meager existence.

Of course, there was also the mandatory pronouncement that nothing meaningful could be done without governments around the world forcing everyone to follow the prescriptions of the Neo-Malthusians who are held out as authorities on this sort of thing.

In an age when technological advancement is proceeding faster than it ever has in human history, this show takes the view that technology will stand still for the next 100 years while the planet's population explodes and resources disappear. Its absurd.

Well, after all what has science done to ease the shortage of whale oil? Nothing! Whale oil supplies today are even more scarce than they were in the early 1900s. That's why today we sit in the dark after sundown: we have no more whale oil for our lamps. :)

Well, after all what has science done to ease the shortage of whale oil? Nothing! Whale oil supplies today are even more scarce than they were in the early 1900s. That's why today we sit in the dark after sundown: we have no more whale oil for our lamps. ;)

If technology could only find a solution for the dreaded double post... now that would be something! It might even be carbon neutral! :);):P

Well, if the philosophical course of this country isn't changed soon, how can anyone think that technology will continue moving forward as fast as it is today? (I already wonder how much faster it should be moving right now.) I did not watch the program, and I'm sure it was over the top, but I completely expect to see technological progress in this country slowed to a crawl as we speed towards a statist government/dictator. (Just like in AS, right?) :)

We will go the way of Manchurian China, where centuries of innovation were brought to a halt by Manchu bureaucrats. I did not waste my time on this blatant enviro-nutjob propaganda. I'm sure millions of brain dead viewers sucked it in like mother's milk, and are huddling in their homes, reading Earth in the Balance by candlelight as we speak.

I hope nobody's surprised at this. What did you expect of the the Alarmist Bullcrap Company; the truth? They aren't shillling for Obama's scheme. He's implementing theirs. As I said. the media was not taking orders from Moscow. Moscow, and now Washington DC where there are more Marxists than in all of Stalingrad. is taking their orders from the media. Do you think the empty-heads in DC could think anything up on their own?

I hope nobody's surprised at this. What did you expect of the the Alarmist Bullcrap Company; the truth? They aren't shillling for Obama's scheme. He's implementing theirs. As I said. the media was not taking orders from Moscow. Moscow, and now Washington DC where there are more Marxists than in all of Stalingrad. is taking their orders from the media. Do you think the empty-heads in DC could think anything up on their own?

Word. George Soros.

Another hard-hitting fact-finding report along the controversial lines of "The Prophecies of Nostradamus", but with better special effects.

True enough.

I'm doing my part to "save the planet". I'm building a plasmatic laser cannon to fend off the coming alien invasion from the star Alphacenturi.

Btw, kainscalia, I have competition for your avatar:

http://cdn-www.dailypuppy.com/media/dogs/a...n_samoyed10.jpg

:pimp:

Word. George Soros.

It's beyond Soros. He's just the current incarnation, and goes back to Roosevelt and even Wilson.

It's more like a hive with each "bee" conditioned to do its part and to know its part by the gist of the issue and being trained Indy 500 drivers. turn left at 200 mph.

This has been building up for 4 generations. The old dodge used to be that the reporters were straight but the editors were pinko. Now, according to Howard Feynmann at Newsweek in the late '90's, talking to Rush Limbaugh, it's the reporters that are lefties.

To show haw it is, I heard P. J. O'Rourke doing a comic commentary on NPR. For those not in the know. O'Rourke was the first to apply the nterm "nazi" to libs, specifically "safty nazi" in a 1984 book about manners. Then he wrote VACATIONING IN HELL which was rabidly pro-American and then came REPUBLICAN PARTY REPTILE which proposed that the Republican Party was more amenable to personal freedom than the Democratic. Now he's humping for Radio Pravda.

In another thread, David Odden, commenting on dictatorship, put the emphasis on censorship. Bad choice. With the major media as the lead phalanx of the totalitarians, censorship is a very minor issue. Plus they can let the 7% of media that is not part of the body live since they pose no threat and can be used to say "see, we have no censorship". In fact the Establishment media are out to crush what's not part of the hive in a peer-to-peer pogrom by simply outnumbering, attacking and outspending them. and it doesn't help that guys like Boortz are easy targets, Savage is an actor, Rush is relatively shallow, Gingrich has been compromised and the cons are still touting the Iraq war and still don't want to hear any criticism of the policy and refuse to listen to people who tell them that it's a lost war (the goals were either illusory or floating abstractions). So they almost discredit themselves. The person who engineered the election of Obama was McCain, among other thing, putting his face so far up the nether regions of the major media that if he sneezed, they got a high colonic.

However, the common perception is in error. Rush refers to the major media as "State run media". On the sruface, that would appear to be the case because the focus is on the political end since that's where the apparent action is. The order of things is that the pols are the arms and legs of the George Soroses of the world.

True enough.

I'm doing my part to "save the planet". I'm building a plasmatic laser cannon to fend off the coming alien invasion from the star Alphacenturi.

Now you're working my side of the street!

If television existed in 1909, imagine what Earth 2000 would have looked like? Or what Earth 1900 would have looked like in 1809.

Where are we going to get enough horses? How will we have enough to eat when everyone is moving to urban areas?

I bet none of those programs would have included Boeing 747's, Space shuttles and iPod's

If television existed in 1909, imagine what Earth 2000 would have looked like? Or what Earth 1900 would have looked like in 1809.

Where are we going to get enough horses? How will we have enough to eat when everyone is moving to urban areas?

I bet none of those programs would have included Boeing 747's, Space shuttles and iPod's

That program would not have existed in 1909 except as a comedy making fun of the backward . Don't forget, for the last 30 years the Educrats have been busy indoctrinating and brainwashing the kids in school. The leitmotif of the early twentieth century was best express in the song EVERYTHING'S UP TO DATE IN KANSAS CITY" and the operant phrase for something that was state of the art was "Just like New York"

Well, given the prevalence of eco's in the media getting enough horses ought be no problem. For every eco there has to be the front of the horse somewhere.