Objectivism Online Forum

anyone know the name of this song?

Rate this topic

The Wrath

It's quite an old popular Italian song that I remember my parents playing in the 50's or 60's. I'm sure Mario Lanza sang it.

I will ask an Italian friend for the title tomorrow.

Beautiful.

That's it, thanks Fletch.

The song is "AMAPOLA".

Spanish, not Italian. The opening line of the lyric is ' Amapola, lindisima amapola ", roughly trans.

"Poppy, the most lovely poppy".

I see Andrea Bocelli sang it - that'll be the C.D. to buy!!

There was an English version that wasn't the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq1mfY88W6o

Go to the 3:40 mark. This is a beautiful song, but I don't know what it's called. I've tried finding it on the movie soundtrack, but none of the samples on Amazon sound like it.

It's definately Amapola composed by Ennio Morricone, 1984 soundtrack of "Once Upon A Time in America". If you go listen to the whole song, length about 5.26 - at around 3.46 or so, is your mark.

Why are people mentioning lyrics/singers? When there are none?

The film only used the instrumental version.

The original [ according to Wiki] was written and composed by Joseph La Calle, a Spanish composer, in 1924.

It has been performed by several artists , including an English version by the Jimmy Dorsey Band in the '40's.

And more recently by Bocelli. You can Google the lyrics in both languages.

The film only used the instrumental version.

And that's the one the topic starter was after.

The original [ according to Wiki] was written and composed by Joseph La Calle, a Spanish composer, in 1924. It has been performed by several artists , including an English version by the Jimmy Dorsey Band in the '40's. And more recently by Bocelli. You can Google the lyrics in both languages.

I should probably just say "by composer, Ennio Morricone" not "composed by, Ennio Morricone", then.

Thanks! I'll have to find it and download it now.

This movie has one of the best, most haunting soundtracks of any movie I've ever seen. The subject matter is...questionable, at best, but the music is the best I've ever heard, in terms of conveying the emotions of the characters.

Edited by The Wrath