Objectivism Online Forum

New Artwork

Rate this topic

JMeganSnow

Have you done this with vector graphics? That must have taken alot of work.

I like the second one better because it has more natural skin tones and doesnt look as smoothed out as the first one. The pectorals on both of them are friggin awesome though. <_<

Have you done this with vector graphics? That must have taken alot of work.

Two words: Gradient Mesh

And it's not really any more work than "painting" it the old-fashioned way--I know, I've done things like this that way. I like this way better.

Impressive. I recently got my hands on an older version of Illustrator and have just begun making some logos for print on tee shirts and coffee mugs, but I'm nowhere near your level of skill.

Do you use a mouse or a graphics tablet?

Both. I use my Wacom tablet for actual "drawing" and my mouse for "rearranging". I find that it's easier to do good lines with the tablet and easier to do good precision clicking-on-stuff with the mouse.

Very nice, Megan. You know, I have given up on drawing with my tablet much because I can't seem to get the same quality of line I would when drawing on paper- the whole thing is rather clumsy for me. THen again all I have is a Graphire 4, which is okay but not the best. I have the impression that I would be able to draw better with one of those touchscreen tablets they now have--- which are of course prohibitively expensive.

I have the impression that I would be able to draw better with one of those touchscreen tablets they now have--- which are of course prohibitively expensive.
I have an Intuos, and identical lines to pen- or pencil-and-paper can easily be made under the right settings in Photoshop; no need to buy the uber-expensive touchscreens. The only major differences are "paper" texture as you draw, and looking up at the screen instead of down at what you're drawing. You get used to both after a while.

Very nice, Megan. You know, I have given up on drawing with my tablet much because I can't seem to get the same quality of line I would when drawing on paper- the whole thing is rather clumsy for me. THen again all I have is a Graphire 4, which is okay but not the best. I have the impression that I would be able to draw better with one of those touchscreen tablets they now have--- which are of course prohibitively expensive.

It takes practice, but everything gets better with practice. One thing I have found with the tablet is that it's better to make lots of short strokes rather than single long loose strokes the way you would with actual pen/pencil on paper. The computer has a habit of picking up lots of "noise" with long strokes and you never get quite what you want. You're not so much "drawing" on the computer as you are *guiding* the computer to draw what you want it to draw.

Well, maybe you’re just not using the right brush. Some of them will allow you to accomplish more natural strokes than others. I am not familiar with the Graphire4, but I think you can buy around eight intuos3 tablets for the same price as a touchscreen. Unless you want to throw your money away, you should probably get an Intuos3, because that is all you need.

Thanks for your feedback on the intuos 3. I looked it up an it's currently going for around $327 - not bad, but I probably won't be able to buy one for a long while, as I have to plunk down $1400 for room and board for an operatic summer program. Gotta have priorities I guess :)

Keep up the good work, Megan!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...