Objectivism Online Forum

New Objectivist Here

Rate this topic

I thought I'd introduce myself, I'm a 23 year old student of Biochemistry (Technically biology + chemistry dual major because the biochemistry major didn't have any real biology in it) who when playing Bioshock was introduced to the Objectivist way of thought. I ended up reading up about it, and although it seems the game was designed to argue against objectivism, it had the opposite effect on me... I think anyone open to reason and logical thinking would also become an objectivist after playing Bioshock.

I'd also like to know if there is any reading material that anyone would suggest to help introduce me to objectivism.

Thank you for taking your time to read my introduction and pre-emptive thanks for the reading advice.

I'm glad to hear you are interested.

I suggest Atlas Shrugged first. After that, move onto the nonfiction like Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand.

Her collections of essays like Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal, and The Virtue of Selfishness are quick and worthwhile reads.

I thought I'd introduce myself, I'm a 23 year old student of Biochemistry (Technically biology + chemistry dual major because the biochemistry major didn't have any real biology in it)

G'day Hobkin.

I'm a former QC lab tech, myself, constantly doing various biochem tests on input lake water and intermediate product. Man, I'm getting sore eyes just thinking about cell-counting with that stereomicroscope and hemocytometer!

There are at least two biologists here I know of, too, so you're not alone.

Yours is a novel route to Objectivism, though from this point forward I suspect wont be unique! I haven't played Bioshock myself, so I can't comment on the content.

I'd also like to know if there is any reading material that anyone would suggest to help introduce me to objectivism.

Most people are introduced via Ayn Rand's novels: We The Living, Anthem, The Fountainhead, and Atlas Shrugged. There is also a considerable amount of non-fiction by Miss Rand and other Objectivists. To get started, the Ayn Rand Institute has a suggested reading list. From there, go where your interests and needs take you! If you have difficulty getting materials locally, there is always the Ayn Rand Bookstore, which includes a lot of material not generally available elsewhere.

JJM

Edited by John McVey

I'll also suggest Craig Biddle's Loving Life for a complete newbie who's interested in reading nonfiction but not extremely technical stuff.

I don't mind technical stuff, I enjoy reading and learning. In fact, I don't think it would be fair to call yourself anything (EG. Objectivist) unless you know a significant amount about it, so the more technical the better! ;) That wont stop me from reading your suggestion though.

I don't mind technical stuff, I enjoy reading and learning. In fact, I don't think it would be fair to call yourself anything (EG. Objectivist) unless you know a significant amount about it, so the more technical the better! ;) That wont stop me from reading your suggestion though.

I'll second Scott's recommendations: Atlas Shrugged, then OPAR. Since you're willing to go into technical detail, this is the most straightforward route to the core of Objectivism. Other recommended books are good additions, and will fill in many important points, but the first two books give you the base to build on. OPAR answers so many questions it's scary. It explains why religion is wrong immediately, based on the nature of reality, and then builds from there.

There's a recommended phrase to explain your position as you're developing. "I am not yet an Objectivist, but I agree with Objectivists on many points." (Others may recommend alternate phrasing.) This allows you to state your current understanding without any confusion about your claim representing Objectivism. I use this phrase myself because I'm not yet fully integrated, but I am working on it!

Welcome to Objectivism and the forum!

I agree with K-Mac.

TVOS contains the simplest and most concise explanations of the main points of Objectivism I've run across yet.

I just felt like if I had read that first, I would've gotten so much more out of Atlas Shrugged. Of course, I'm looking forward to reading AS again and again. ;)

Bioshock is a great game, I also thought that at first the game was criticizing Objectivism, but I now think that it was actually pushing for it. Andrew Ryan was at first an Objectivist, but became more unprincipled as time went on. His lack of Objectivism was the downfall of Rapture.

I wish I had read The Virtue of Selfishness first, but Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead would be a good place to start as well. Here's The Ayn Rand Institutes recommended reading list.

Thank you, book-marked! I'll see if I can get them all on Kindle. (When I get it, job first, then my savings of silver in a safety deposit box, THEN kindle and the books)

You've all been so helpful, can't wait to read up!

I thought I'd introduce myself, I'm a 23 year old student of Biochemistry (Technically biology + chemistry dual major because the biochemistry major didn't have any real biology in it) who when playing Bioshock was introduced to the Objectivist way of thought. I ended up reading up about it, and although it seems the game was designed to argue against objectivism, it had the opposite effect on me... I think anyone open to reason and logical thinking would also become an objectivist after playing Bioshock.

Thank you for taking your time to read my introduction and pre-emptive thanks for the reading advice.

I suspect that you are not an Objectivist. An Objectivist knows and agrees with all of the conclusions that Rand reached and incorporated into her essays and novels. If you had done that, you would not be asking for a reading list.

I suspect that you are not an Objectivist. An Objectivist knows and agrees with all of the conclusions that Rand reached and incorporated into her essays and novels. If you had done that, you would not be asking for a reading list.

No they do not. An Objectivist agrees with the *core* of the philosophy, not, say, every conclusion Ayn Rand made about psychology or physics or whatever.