Objectivism Online Forum

Star Wars

Rate this topic

jfortun

Not only am I picking up the DVD set, but I'm also picking up the new Star Wars game, Battlefront.

One review I read said that it accomplishes a more "battlefield" oriented feeling than Battlefield 1942. There's bots running around which are easily dealt with, but add bodies to the battle. Despite the less than competent A.I., the bots do draw a distinction from the other real players running around so that it feels very Hero vs. (anti)Hero when you engage the other real people. As a big fan of the Battlefield series, I'm hoping the game is well done.

The review was less enthusiastic about the single player aspect of the game.

VES

I feel like a crack addict just waiting for it!

Agree, I've tied my belt around my bicep and am thwacking my arm for the boxed set. Though I must say I'd be happier if the actual original trilogy was being released as well. The version coming out now is the one re-released and enhanced in the last decade. Not that I didn't love them, I just love some of the rawness of the 77 release.

Lucas said he'll release the origianl unaltered series "later". So I have a feeling I'll have 10 completely different boxed sets like my collection of Blade Runner dvd's. :)

In all seriousness, I got my first job as a broker because of Star Wars. At the very end of a very tough interview Jeff my old school broker potentially new manager asked if there was anything he'd need to know "if I couldn't find anyone else to hire and hired you?" My reply was I was insisting on taking the day off in 3 years when they re-released Star Wars in 95.

He was so blown away that I had the cajones to insist on having a day off a few years in advance of a job I didn't have, he hired me on the spot. Of course, that sort of thing is viewed as a good thing in the brokerage industry.

Agree, I've tied my belt around my bicep and am thwacking my arm for the boxed set. Though I must say I'd be happier if the actual original trilogy was being released as well. The version coming out now is the one re-released and enhanced in the last decade. Not that I didn't love them, I just love some of the rawness of the 77 release.

Lucas said he'll release the origianl unaltered series "later". So I have a feeling I'll have 10 completely different boxed sets like my collection of Blade Runner dvd's.  :)

Here is an interview with George Lucas about the new boxed set. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him releasing the original versions to DVD.

AP: Why not release both the originals and special editions on DVD?

Lucas: The special edition, that's the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it. ... I'm not going to spend the, we're talking millions of dollars here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me, it doesn't really exist anymore. It's like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it. But I want it to be the way I want it to be. I'm the one who has to take responsibility for it. I'm the one who has to have everybody throw rocks at me all the time, so at least if they're going to throw rocks at me, they're going to throw rocks at me for something I love rather than something I think is not very good, or at least something I think is not finished.

Then again, Lucas also made a statement that he would not release any of the films on DVD until all six were complete. He also said that Episode 2 was going to be filmed on digital "film" and was only going to be released in theatres that had digital projectors. So he's been known to change his mind.

I think some of added scenes in the 90s versions actually took away from the movies, especially that added scene with Jabba the Hutt in Episode IV. The unaltered originals are available on laserdisk. So if you want high quality DVDs of them, you'll need laserdisk player, a video capture card and a DVD burner.