Objectivism Online Forum

Coffee

Rate this topic

Which is?

You can't easily switch from one unit to anotehr in Imperial.

There are four pints to a quart, four quarts to a gallon. See, based on units of four, as pointed out previously. We divide an hour into quarters too, as in a quarter after or a quarter 'till, or a half past, which is two units of four. Simpler than all that liter/milliliter mess.

A milliliter is a thousandth of a liter. Therefore 250 milliliters are a quarter liter. That's simpler than learning different names for fractions of the same measure.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't easily switch from one unit to anotehr in Imperial.

I don't use Imperial.

A milliliter is a thousandth of a liter. Therefore 250 milliliters are a quarter liter. That's simpler than learning different names for fractions of the same measure.

Not really. I've never liked the Metric system. Personal preference, just like I like incandescent bulbs rather than those stupid CFLs.

And 'yall are getting ripped off paying for your gas in liters rather than gallons.

Edited by Maximus

I'd like to echo D'kian on the issue of measurement systems. Being in construction, I've had to deal with both systems by themselves and mixed together in documents, and having to convert back and forth. I've found metric to be far better in terms of accuracy (more whole numbers, less fractions), and far easier in terms of changing units of size (ie going from meters to centimeters to millimeters or the other way).

Also, I think metric is easier to use in the sciences where things are measured in micrometers etc, where they're so small that 0.000003 ft is hard to visualize compared to 0.00000003 ft.

I guess it might just come down to tradition or what you're more comfortable with, but it does make sense to have everyone on the same page for esier communication of ideas. Constantly converting between different units is a pita that can led to confusion and errors.

[@ Mods: I think this topic should be split from "Coffee"]

As for coffee, I enjoy the smell, although sometimes it just smells like burning. I can't take plain black though, I need some other flavours mixed in. I'm more of tea man anyway (he says with some trepidation).

I don't use Imperial.

Then whatever the anme is for the mishmash of units you do use.

Not really. I've never liked the Metric system. Personal preference, just like I like incandescent bulbs rather than those stupid CFLs.

Heh. I'm having a bit of a battle with my parents over that. They're using halogen spots for their apartment and paying a huge utility bill every month. I've told them they should switch to CFLs, but they paid a lot for the halogens, and so....

I began using CFLs about six years ago, once I found some that shine sunlight-like yellow rather than neutron star-like white. I change them a lot less often than incandescents and I pay less for electricity than I used to.

So there.

And 'yall are getting ripped off paying for your gas in liters rather than gallons.

No, we're getting ripped off on gas because oil is a government monopoly asnwerable to no one. When oil prices go down worldwide, gas prices go up to make up for lost foreign exchange. When oil prices go up worldwide, gas prices go up to keep up with worldwide prices.

And now this thread ahs floown to widely off topic. I'll just say then that I have 2 to 3 cups of coffee per day.

Then whatever the anme is for the mishmash of units you do use.

Imperial is (or was) used in the UK. As I understand it (and if I am wrong please correct me) the US system and the Imperial system differ on liquid measure only. Miles are miles in both places, pounds are pounds. (Though both the US and UK had troy pounds and ounces for measuring precious metal, and avoirdupois ounces for everything else. Troy was standard for everything until Queen Elizabeth I for some reason switched everything but precious metals over. She left out precious metals because changing their measures would have bollixed up the monetary system.)

Yes, it's a mish-mosh. I think it comes down to what you are used to. I think pretty well in both systems, and I see advantages to both.

There are no Metric units of time.

You and I must be talking about a different standard then (I had the SI or "Systeme Internationale" in mind). Anyway, let's drop this distraction and talk about coffee! I'm curious to hear Space Patroller's explanation of the exact mechanism by which the consumption of hazelnut-flavored coffee turns me into an agenda-driven wuss! (Or is it the other way around?) :P

You and I must be talking about a different standard then (I had the SI or "Systeme Internationale" in mind).

What I mean is the time units are not Metric specific. Everyone uses them.

You sound just like the gentiles who say "in our calendar" when talking about the year. As if the calendar the whole world uses were particular to Mexican Catholics.

Anyway, let's drop this distraction and talk about coffee!

Can't talk. Drinking coffee. :)

You and I must be talking about a different standard then (I had the SI or "Systeme Internationale" in mind). Anyway, let's drop this distraction and talk about coffee! I'm curious to hear Space Patroller's explanation of the exact mechanism by which the consumption of hazelnut-flavored coffee turns me into an agenda-driven wuss! (Or is it the other way around?) :)

You know, one of the benefits of being gay is being allowed to try different things that seem to shrivel up the balls of straight men. I don't like show tunes, but I do like an iced raspberry mocha and beers with fruity flavors. If being a "man" means drinking nothing but bitter hops and good ol' American soil, I think I dodged a bullet.

Coffee purists think that if you add anything to coffee (other than water) you're guilty of a horrible sin. An offshoot of this sect believes in adding a minuscule amount of cream (never milk) at least on special occassions.

Me, I buy brands I like, pre-ground, and use a drip amchine (stand by for abuse) which I keep clean. I also have a small espresso/cappuccino maker (I've heard abuse in italian, too), for which I buy coffee ground to a different spec, and I do use an espresso cup (but not a cappuccino glass).

You know, one of the benefits of being gay is being allowed to try different things that seem to shrivel up the balls of straight men. I don't like show tunes, but I do like an iced raspberry mocha and beers with fruity flavors. If being a "man" means drinking nothing but bitter hops and good ol' American soil, I think I dodged a bullet.

This reminds me of the couple I once saw on the street. The girl had a pink handbag, and wanted to do something (don't remeber exactly what, the important thing is she couldn't do it with the bag in her hand) so she asked the guy to hold the bag for a minute. The guy said "I can't hold it, it's pink." The girl kept asking, saying "It's only for a minute," "Don't be so stupid," etc., but to no avail: the guy just couldn't bring himself to hold a pink handbag in public. The girl began to sound quite frustrated with him in the end--I would say, understandably so...

I like my french press a lot. From my experience the coffee tastes better (because most filters get rid of some of the flavor molecules, or something like that), and I think it's a little less acidic. It is also much more efficient because you need less coffee to make it a strong brew. In most drip machines you need to put an insane amount of coffee in to get it to a decent strength coffee.

I hate to rain on your parade, JMV, but antacid is probably the one thing you don't want to take for a stomach problem, or a digestive aid. Source: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009...cteria-and.html

As far as how coffee gets drunk...Cuban espresso always always always has sugar. In the words of Celia Cruz you cannot have Cuban coffee without AZUUUUUCAR. My dad is one of those people that drinks coffee with no sugar or cream. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't drink cheap ass American coffee. My preferred coffee type is Starbucks, and my preferred espresso is La Llave. I like to make coffee in a French press, and espresso in a stovetop espresso maker. If I make coffee in a medium sized espresso maker I usually like to have at least 7 or 8 teaspoons of sugar in the espresso.

It is also much more efficient because you need less coffee to make it a strong brew. In most drip machines you need to put an insane amount of coffee in to get it to a decent strength coffee.

I put one teaspoon of grounds par cup brewed in the drip machine. How much do you use?

Besides, with the drip the machine does the coffee. With the french press you make it :D