Objectivism Online Forum

My letter to Congressman Culberson

Rate this topic

Dear Congressman Culberson,

I recently watched a broadcast on CSPAN of you speaking with some high school students. I found myself agreeing with almost everything you said as you spoke about taxes, quantitative easing, the federal reserve, the second amendment, the size of government, and fiscal responsibility. The fact that you compared Bush’s economic policies to Obama’s was also a breath of fresh air.

Then a student asked you a question about gay marriage and I instantly watched you clam up. You attempted to sputter some nonsense about how homosexuals are unable to propagate the species as a negativism, and then went on to imply that if we were to allow or condone ‘that kind’ of sexual behavior, we would inadvertently be condoning ‘other’ sexual behaviors.

My fiancée turned to me after the broadcast and said, “How can a man be correct on some issues and so utterly wrong on others?” My answer to her was, “It’s easy. He has no concrete principles.”

Mr. Culberson, you have been blinded by your ‘faith.’ You accept some ideas about free markets, individualism, and personal responsibility, but you threw them all out of the window with your ridiculous sentiments about gay marriage. You recognize that individuals should have rights, but you do not understand where those rights come from, nor do you understand how those rights are grounded.

Two consenting adults that wish to cement their relationship by way of contract does not violate or impose duty on the rights of other individuals. A gay marriage may upset you, but that does not give you the moral authority to deny it from happening. A gay marriage may be against your religious ideals, but that does not mean autonomous, rational adults should be subjected to your opinion.

Our government was founded to secure individual rights, not to bully with force those that don’t agree with a certain viewpoint. The whole point of our republic is to protect the smallest minority (the individual) from the whims of the masses. Fifty-one percent of the population should not be allowed to vote away the intrinsic rights of the other forty-nine percent; nor should they be allowed to vote away the rights of one single person.

Mr. Culberson, I will not lie and say that I respect your opinion on gay marriage- I do not. But I would respect you more as a person if you were willing to set aside your bias and fight for the rights of all individuals: gay, straight, or otherwise.

Regards,

ers