Objectivism Online Forum

Can college increase your self esteem as much as productive work?

Rate this topic

Hazmatac

Like the title says, can application in college increase your self-esteem as much as getting a job? I wonder because Rand says specifically "productive work" should be one's purpose, not learning. My situation:

Not really 100% certain I still like it, but I am going to be going to school shortly for film, and I get paid to go because my dad's a disabled veteran from vietnam so I don't have to work while learning. Will this increase my self-esteem as much as a job, or more or less? Thank you.

Like the title says, can application in college increase your self-esteem as much as getting a job? I wonder because Rand says specifically "productive work" should be one's purpose, not learning. My situation:

Not really 100% certain I still like it, but I am going to be going to school shortly for film, and I get paid to go because my dad's a disabled veteran from vietnam so I don't have to work while learning. Will this increase my self-esteem as much as a job, or more or less? Thank you.

Of course it can. There are many kinds of productive work. Work on yourself counts as such, so long as you are not mooching in order to accomplish this goal (and you're not). Go to college and enjoy it. You will never have another chance not only to gain depth of knowledge in your chosen field but broad knowledge of anything and everything that interests you at the same time. The source of your self-esteem during college will be laying the groundwork for the rest of your life as well as having an amazing time.

Like the title says, can application in college increase your self-esteem as much as getting a job?

Yes. It most certainly did for me.

I wonder because Rand says specifically "productive work" should be one's purpose, not learning.

I would consider it to be productive if you value the subject and intend to pursue a career. If you truly value film then learning and mastering your craft is certainly productive.

Not really 100% certain I still like it, but I am going to be going to school shortly for film

What makes you uncertain and why? What school do you plan on attending?

What makes you uncertain and why? What school do you plan on attending?

Well, I am uncertain because I have not done it in a long time, and don't know if I will like it in the same way. Should though. Also, I plan on attending DeAnza college in California.

Well, I am uncertain because I have not done it in a long time, and don't know if I will like it in the same way. Should though. Also, I plan on attending DeAnza college in California.

What exactly did you do and what exactly do you want to do specifically within the film industry? I assume you intend on working in the actual film industry, not just studying film history and then teaching it. Have you ever worked on a production? If so, what did you do? Why not try and get a job as a Production Assistant? That is an entry level position that someone without much experience or any can take. Do you intend to make your own films or do you want to work on big budget motion pictures?

What exactly did you do and what exactly do you want to do specifically within the film industry? I assume you intend on working in the actual film industry, not just studying film history and then teaching it. Have you ever worked on a production? If so, what did you do? Why not try and get a job as a Production Assistant? That is an entry level position that someone without much experience or any can take. Do you intend to make your own films or do you want to work on big budget motion pictures?

I'm not sure exactly what I want, what's with the questioning?

Learning is always a prerequisite before being productive, so learning is as valuable as working when it stands in the means to ends relationship.

Creepy. Maybe he wants a part in your first movie. :P

Questioning yourself in such a manner is a way of finalizing your decision to go to college rather than go to work immediately -- nothing creepy about it.

In either case, yes, it is productive. I am certainly grateful for my college education, even though it didn't land me a better job, since it gave me a better perspective on the history of the world (Liberal Arts, physics and philosophy). Going to college will help you to organize your mind, and it is really difficult these days to have a productive and well paying career without at least some college. If you can learn more about film and learn to use that knowledge to build a career, then it will definitely be worth while. Try not to accept the crap they will be throwing at you in college about the nature of man, and while you are in college, you will be exposed to other avenues, if you would like alternatives. It's not going to cost you anything except time and thinking, so go learn and enjoy the experience :)

There are many things that can increase a man's self-esteem, but it is important to remember that self-esteem is an issue created by the individual (albeit, with societal factors influencing). If you're using college as an escape, as an excuse to put off a productive life for four years, then I do not think one should view college as a remedy for low self-image. If, however, you are going to college to explore the opportunities of the world, to expose yourself to new people, to look for something you find passion in, then college is perfectly fine, even if you major in art history or something regarded generally as "useless."

Having said that, college was a life-altering experience for me. I had my values and ideals in tact by the time I left high school, but I went to college far away from all my friends and family, and as such, had to learn to cope with learning who I was as a personality. By the end of the endeavor, I figured out I was not at all like the lost little boy I assumed I was, and that in fact, I am much more of a commandeer, a man brimming with confidence whose only real adolescent problem was my strained relationship with my family and some of my friends back home. After figuring out I work best as a leader and that I had a great talent in writing, these qualities both contributed to fostering better self-esteem. However, if I had to point out the one part of my self-esteem that improved more than anything, it was definitely my self-image. In high school, I felt awkward and like a loser, only to find that in college, I had the opportunity to cast off the chains of adolescent social drama and build my own life. And that, simply being around new people, more than anything helped turn me into the man I am today.

No kidding, I was class of 06 and I'm STILL paying...

I'm lucky enough to have my parents funding my tuition bills, but even that isn't enough. If I didn't work 30hrs a week, on top of being a full-time student, I'd be done for.

Let me elaborate a bit on this, because I'm experiencing a somewhat similar thing as the OP at the moment.

I am doing a similar type of study as film production - I'm double majoring in Recording Arts (audio production and technology), and Digital Synthesis (a more scientific major). The former is basically film school for music and audio, and find that it is a very unimportant thing to have a degree in, for the most part. At the end of the day, film and audio production majors alike spend an assload of money to learn things that are easily discovered from being in the industry for a few years. And plus, working in the industry will get you money, or at the very least top experience and good credentials, whereas college will just be a drain on your finances in addition to those things. When you graduate, many people your age in the industry will have already been employed for 3-5 years, and therefore have the upper hand.

Unless you're pursuing more academic and more intellectual fields of study, where lecturing will be found more often than workshop-based courses, you may not find it as beneficial as you'd like. Workshop-based courses and other small-group study/learning environments, are easily found without having to go through a university, are cheaper, and are often better quality courses with more one on one time. If your primary motivation is to get the experience necessary to technically operate machinery and understand various practical aspects of your industry, then you may be much better off, in the long run, working your way up the ladder.

Then again, your mileage may vary; I don't have any real interest in the least of becoming a studio rat or any of the other BS jobs that this major "prepares" you for. Anybody can be an expert knob-twiddler, in the end, so it's best to approach this kind of thing by asking yourself: Do I want to challenge my mind, or improve my muscle memory, by paying for a four year education program? If your answer is the latter, I would recommend skipping the college thing. In the arts, to this day, it is not necessary to have a degree, and some of the most successful people who have pursued these fields - even the youngest and most contemporary ones - avoided college altogether to pursue their dreams.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck to you!

Why did you ask this question in the first place? I'm merely trying to figure out your situatuion. It's hard to give someone advice when you don't exactly know what it is they want. I'm a recent fim grad myself and I'm trying to gain some insight, so that I may give you some advice, but if you are not interest thats fine.

Creepy. Maybe he wants a part in your first movie. :o

Damn! You got me. I surf the internet all day looking for potential film school attendees and then I slowly coax them into giving me valuable information. :D

well in case you are just trying to help as you say... I'm not sure exactly what I intend to do, but I remember I liked shooting and editing my movies, so probably something in that area. I do intend on working in the film industry or changing my major. I have worked on production in high school. I shot and edited some movies for film class. Production assistant sounds good. Well, I would probably like to both work on my films and others, but its not definite, and I don't even know if I still enjoy shooting/editing, although I think I do. Thanks.

Creepy. Maybe he wants a part in your first movie. <_<

lol