Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand And Society

Rate this topic

In Ayn Rand's works, there is always more than one hero and prime mover. For e.g., AS has loads, Fountainhead has quite and few, even Anthem has two:- Prometheus and Gaea. What does Ayn Rand say about a society in which there is only one lone hero, where no one lives or wants to live up to the ideal of man except him? Won't it be torturous for him to live knowing that all that he can experience, he can only share with himself, no one else and that no one fully understands him.

In Ayn Rand's works, there is always more than one hero and prime mover. For e.g., AS has loads, Fountainhead has quite and few, even Anthem has two:- Prometheus and Gaea. What does Ayn Rand say about a society in which there is only one lone hero, where no one lives or wants to live up to the ideal of man except him? Won't it be torturous for him to live knowing that all that he can experience, he can only share with himself, no one else and that no one fully understands him.

Fortunately, reality isn't like that.

Yes, but it would be interesting to know how Rand thought a rational person would behave in such a situation.

BTW

In AS introduction, she says a rational person should live up to the ideal of man even if all the people around him fall short of it.

In Fountainhead introduction she quotes her novel We The Living where she says something like

"I want it , real and living in the hours of my own days. I want to know that there is someone who wants it to. Otherwise what is the use of working oneself, exhausting oneself for years for an impossible vision? A spirit too needs fuel. It can run dry."

Isn't there a conflict between the two statements.

Please correct me if I have misquoted the above statements.

Yes, but it would be interesting to know how Rand thought a rational person would behave in such a situation [where he was the lone rational individual in society].

Ayn Rand does tell you how a person would act in a situation like that. He would flee into the Uncharted Forest to seek a new start.