Objectivism Online Forum

Atlas Shrugged on Floor Displays at Largest Bookstores

Rate this topic

By Yaron Brook from The Ayn Rand Institute Media Releases,cross-posted by MetaBlog

Atlas Shrugged on Floor Displays at Largest Bookstores

Washington, D.C., June 29, 2009-- Shortly after Independence Day, new free-standing floor displays of Ayn Rand’s novel Atlas Shrugged, first published 52 years ago, will be placed in more than 850 bookstores across the United States. Borders will display the novel’s trade edition at 520 of its stores and Waldenbooks will feature the mass market paperback edition at 336 of its stores. Thousands of copies of Atlas Shrugged will be on display.

Barnes & Noble also had copies of Atlas Shrugged for sale in special floor displays in most of its bookstores from late May into early June.

According to Dr. Yaron Brook, executive director of the Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights, “This is the most prominent and widespread display for this novel in all of its publishing history. It is particularly remarkable because it comes more than a half century after its initial publication.

“The fact that the largest bookstore chains in America have chosen to make such a prominent display of Atlas Shrugged is a testimony to the current and growing interest in Ayn Rand’s novels and ideas, and an encouraging sign for America’s future.

“As Americans confront the scary growth of government control over their lives and the economy, they need, more than ever, to learn about Ayn Rand’s conception of a new morality of rational self-interest and her unprecedented defense of freedom and individual rights.”

---------------- 

n1e9kpF845g

Cross-posted from Metablog

post-622-1246296335_thumb.jpg I've seen this display in a Philadelphia Barnes and Noble store. They stuck it between two employee office doors, away from fiction, where customers aren't likely to go. It's on the third floor, same as fiction, but nowhere near fiction, closer to arts and crafts. It smacked of "We'll do it, but we won't like it."

I've seen this display in a Philadelphia Barnes and Noble store. They stuck it between two employee office doors, away from fiction, where customers aren't likely to go.

That's awful! It's been front and center at the bookstores I've been to and when I mention it to bookstore employees, they always say something about how classics are so much better than modern books, etc. Must be your location...deep in the heart of union and liberal hell. ;)

Edited by K-Mac

That's awful! It's been front and center at the bookstores I've been to and when I mention it to bookstore employees, they always say something about how classics are so much better than modern books, etc. Must be your location...deep in the heart of union and liberal hell. <_<

Ain't it the truth!

Over here in Fort Collins and Colorado Springs I have seen two borders that portray Anthem, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged prominently as part of the highschool reading lists. Both at central parts of the store, too. I took a picture, but it's in my phone now and I can't quite find my phone.

At a mall in Rochester in the Barnes and Noble there is a large poster of the 25th Anniversary cover of Atlas Shrugged at the front of the store, along with 3 or 4 other iconic novels.

I've seen those classic posters. Actually, they've been using those for years, including ATLAS, so that's a bit encouraging.