Objectivism Online Forum

Shakedown by Ezra Levant

Rate this topic

flatlander

Ezra Levant, former publisher of the Canadian magazine Western Standard, holds the dubious distinction of being the only journalist on Earth to have faced legal sanction for publishing the infamous Mohammed cartoons that appeared first in the Jyllands-Posten. He was ordered to appear before an investigator at the Alberta Human Rights Commission, and was interrogated over his "intentions" for publishing the cartoons.

I read Shakedown recently, and it is a disturbing read. The Canadian Human Rights Commission, along with its provincial counterparts, represent a very ominous threat to freedom of speech in Canada. The cases presented in Shakedown sound like a cross between a Monty Python sketch and a chapter lifted straight out of Orwell's 1984. They are political correctness run amok. Imagine a ridiculous scenario where a McDonalds' worker complains to the government about the company's hand washing policy, and not only is she paid tens of thousands of dollars not to go to work, but McDonalds had to pay her $50 000 for her "dignity" and "self respect". This is one of the more comical cases in Shakedown. Each case presented is more terrifying than the last.

Canadians should be horrified by the soft tyranny being perpetrated by our ever-expanding government. Levant's book should serve as a wake-up call to Canadians. I strongly recommend that any Canadian on this board read Levant's book. Our Charter of "Rights" and "Freedoms" already does not recognize property rights. Now freedom of speech (Canuckified into "Freedom of expression" by our bureaucratic elites) is under a full frontal assault as well. Our elected government is unwilling or afraid to stop the erosion of individual rights. Do we have a representative government, or is Parliament mere window-dressing, covering up the fact that we have a tyrannical bureaucracy calling the shots?

One begins to think of Ominous Parallels when faced with this reality.

• 5 weeks later...
Yet another reason (if any more than the fact that the party is founded on Reason were needed) to support Freedom Party of Canada!

How true. Freedom Party is the only party in Canada that advocates real human rights. I would vote for Paul McKeever without hesitation and if I ever run for political office it would be with Freedom Party.

Levant's book illustrates how far Canada has slid down the abyss. Our mainstream political parties are interchangeable and virtually indistinguishable. And arguably irrelevant. The bureaucrats run this country and are so entrenched that no elected politician dares to oppose them, even if they wanted to. The CHRC has become a quasi-judicial thought police force and the silence from our government is deafening.

I've already paid for a Freedom Party membership... Now if it would only arrive I could begin calling myself a Card carrying Freedomer. :D

The two main parties are Bad and Worse, then of course there are the NDP and the Greens, Horrible and Irrelevant respectively...

The two main parties are Bad and Worse, then of course there are the NDP and the Greens, Horrible and Irrelevant respectively...

This is so on the mark that you could just have said: Bad, Worse, Horrible, and Irrelevant and I would have known what you mean.