Objectivism Online Forum

What to do when parents force you to lie?

Rate this topic

Hazmatac

The scenario: My mom argued with my dad and me and left somewhere unknown (for the last two days). My driving test is today. My dad's headlight is out, we need a new car. He calls up his friend, but says to say that mom somewhere where we know, to make my dad look good. I am opposed to it and we fight over it.The issue never gets brought up. He threatened never doing me any more favors if I don't lie about mom. What should I do?

Alternate Scenario: I am a 8 year old and mom makes me late to school, tells me to lie and say we had car problems. Should I go against her and tell the truth? What should I do?

Thanks.

Both scenarios involve being embarrassed about a situation which is not anyone else's business. You can comply with the spirit of the request by deflecting away any questions leading to the sensitive topic. That would avoid embarrassing anyone further and keep you from lying. Deflection can be gentle as in artfully directing the conversation or a blunt "none of your business", whatever is warranted by the nosiness of the person prying into your affairs.

Both scenarios involve being embarrassed about a situation which is not anyone else's business. You can comply with the spirit of the request by deflecting away any questions leading to the sensitive topic. That would avoid embarrassing anyone further and keep you from lying. Deflection can be gentle as in artfully directing the conversation or a blunt "none of your business", whatever is warranted by the nosiness of the person prying into your affairs.

Never thought of none of your business, that's a good one. I would have gone with "I don't feel like disgussing it right now." Thanks

Never thought of none of your business, that's a good one. I would have gone with "I don't feel like disgussing it right now." Thanks

More tactful, and so probably less alienating to others when you say it. I'd start with, "I'd rather not talk about it" and if someone is pushy, then move onto, "I said I don't want to talk about it, and since its none of your ****ing business, I'm not going to, so stop pushing your nose where it doesn't belong before it gets hurt." <_<

Haz, we obviously don't pick (or buy) our parents, and despite what our culture and Christian "morality" expects of you, you do not have to value your parents. From what I know about you, you may be in a position where you must live with them, at least for now, so you will just have to make things work until you can get out on your own. As others stated above, there are ways to get around your situation without lying, so I would tell your dad that is how you plan to approach the situation. (Hopefully, your dad will learn something from you in the process.) :)

Haz, we obviously don't pick (or buy) our parents, and despite what our culture and Christian "morality" expects of you, you do not have to value your parents. From what I know about you, you may be in a position where you must live with them, at least for now, so you will just have to make things work until you can get out on your own. As others stated above, there are ways to get around your situation without lying, so I would tell your dad that is how you plan to approach the situation. (Hopefully, your dad will learn something from you in the process.) :D

Thanks Kelly. Indeed, I have to live with my parents for the time being for my mental health, but I am slowly getting better. Thanks Kelly and thank you everyone for the advice :)

You can also try to explain your situation to your father. He might confuse your general aversion to lying with laziness, spite, or some nameless fuck-you-dad. I'm sure he won't evaluate the situation on rational terms unless you walk him through it.