Objectivism Online Forum

An Israel Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

Greyhawk

Hi. Thought I'd add a thread about the cultural things we like about Israel. Its arts, films, music, landscape etc. I don't want this thread to get political so please no commenting on its political, ideological, military (etc) aspects.

I thought I'd start by posting some music I love from the country.

is an excellent singer I first learned about thru the film "Walk on Water"
I swear it took my a year to find it :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BtK9cSjAiY, a prominent gay Israeli does some awesome dance music.

So, post your own :wacko:

Hi. Thought I'd add a thread about the cultural things we like about Israel. Its arts, films, music, landscape etc. I don't want this thread to get political so please no commenting on its political, ideological, military (etc) aspects.

That's hard, largely because ISrael has been responsible for many military innovations. The IAF was first in the modern era to use unmanned aerial drones for surveillance and combat, for example. Israeli industry has developed really good guns like the Uzi submachinegun and the Galil rifle.

But let's try. there's the whole idea of "smart" pills. Essentially miniature camera/sensor probes one can swallow. What for? well, to take pictures and data from the intestinal tract in a way that's less invasive than endoscopy (and more extensive, too,as the pills reach areas endoscopes can't get to). It has drawbacks, such as lack of control of the probe, and the patient must wear a receiving/recording device unitl the pill passes the tract (in the usual manner, naturally; and no the pills are not reusable).

I am quite shocked nobody mentioned wine. :)

Especially red wine from the golan heights. That is such an extraordinary climate and it generates superb wines.

Of course even here we find it difficult to leave politics aside as the golan heights are topic of debate.. I personally consider it wonderful that it is still part of wonderful Israel.

Try for example Gamla (Red Wine).

Its amazing to hear singers like

singing in Hebrew. Until the Zionist project Hebrew was about as vibrant a language as Gallic or pig latin.

You can read about the ressurrection of the language in just a hundred years, from the bones of a religious liturgy to a language spoken everyday by millions here.