Objectivism Online Forum

Sarah Palin Resigns

Rate this topic

Here it is. She'll be gone by the end of the month.

She didn't really give a reason. A lot of people are guessing it's in preparation for a Presidential run in 2012. If she plans on running then, this seems like the worst thing she could do. It makes her look flaky.

So, for 2012, that leaves the GOP with the options of...Well, all I can think of is Romney.

Here it is. She'll be gone by the end of the month.

She didn't really give a reason. A lot of people are guessing it's in preparation for a Presidential run in 2012. If she plans on running then, this seems like the worst thing she could do. It makes her look flaky.

So, for 2012, that leaves the GOP with the options of...Well, all I can think of is Romney.

It doesn't really matter who the Republicans choose to run in 2012. They're not going to get elected. From what I can tell, Obama is here to stay.

I'm pretty sure that if the economy remains as it is in 2012, Obama won't stand a chance. Why would you think otherwise?

Because he'll be running against a Republican. Never underestimate the ability of the Republican Party to shoot itself in the head. My utterly random guess: they'll nominate Huckabee, and I'll vote for nobody for a second time.

I'm pretty sure that if the economy remains as it is in 2012, Obama won't stand a chance. Why would you think otherwise?

Obama is the new "teflon don" -- just wait 'till you see what he'll squirm out of.

Unless people understand that government is the cause of and not the solution to our economic downturn, nothing will be blamed on Obama. In fact, if the economy gets worse it might even be better for him than if it recovers. If it gets worse that means that "Capitalism has failed" and that Obama needs "broader powers" and "more time" to fix its problems.

Just think of Bush as Hoover and Obama as Roosevelt. Roosevelt was elected 3 goddamn times during worst economic conditions imaginable. The only reason he left the White House was because he died. Be on the lookout for any proposed changes to term limits in the next 4-6 years.

It makes her look flaky.

That won't stop people from voting for her. I know one person who voted for Palin because "she's a mom". I know several straight guys who voted for Palin because "she's hot". If Republicans pair her with Arnold Schwarzenegger, they'd have a serious chance in 2012.

I'm not saying that's a GOOD thing. That's just my analysis of the situation.

I'll say good for her and the family.

Legal issues have been generated to use up their money. Sounds like there was some accountability under her, but, hey, that's not viewed well in US governments anymore so it seems. The party that she was a part of was blaming her as part of their not getting a crappy candidate elected. So, why be involved? Walk away and let things shake it self out or shake itself to death.

They cannot pair her with Ahnuld, because he is not eligible to be President of the United States, being foreign born.

Do they check for that? :D

I don't see Arnie as a solution to problems when his state is bankrupt.

Edited by SD26

Regardless of her caliber as a politician and executive, she and her family did not deserve the vicious personal attacks the media subjected them to for no better reason than because she dared to compete with their cult leader.

I think stupidity and hypocrisy always deserve to be made fun of.

Also, a "vicious attack" tends to leave death and carnage in its wake. Words leave some hurt feelings at worst, so perhaps we should call what she was subjected to criticism, and characterize it as fair or unfair, depending on our respective opinions. Leave "vicious attack" to describe atrocities, which are in fact being committed all the time: just recently, an abortion doctor was subjected to an actual vicious attack for no better reason than because he dared to compete with an actual cult's irrational commandments (commandments to which, incidentally, Sarah Palin fully subscribes to).

Regardless of her caliber as a politician and executive, she and her family did not deserve the vicious personal attacks the media subjected them to for no better reason than because she dared to compete with their cult leader.

Mean jokes and ruthless reporting have been main stays of every prominent politician for a very long time. I have no sympathy for Palin in this regard.

• 4 weeks later...
Mean jokes and ruthless reporting have been main stays of every prominent politician for a very long time. I have no sympathy for Palin in this regard.

almost true, if you can't stand the kitchen sink, get out of the heat BUT, the rule was that the family was kept out of it, obscene and borderline obscene were off limits and you don't see the leftists treated the same way. Unitl the advent of Rush Limbaugh, it was pretty much 100% one way. Now try to make jokes about the Kennedys' offspring. Chelsea Clinton was off limits. imagine if someone did a joke about Sasha Obama and Henry Gates.

Ironically, when it was 100% one way. Palin would have gotten sympathy and probably enough to make a difference, so talk radio has evend the score

I dislike Mrs. Palin ("You actually can see Russia from Alaska!") and disagree with her on many issues, and would normally welcome her being out of power. However, the people of Alaska elected her a full term, and she is disregarding their wish by giving up on governing for a few months to attempt her eventual bid for the Presidency (we all know she will attempt it soon).

If she finds it too dificult to govern the 700,000 people of Alaska for a few months, how can she possibly expect people to let her govern over 300,000,000 people for four years?

Just some fun trivia - During the RNC, she made a point about her firing the cook, presumably because she thinks its good to put someone out of a job in the middle of a recession and she believes that cooks don't need to support themselves (or families if they have one).

Just some fun trivia - During the RNC, she made a point about her firing the cook, presumably because she thinks its good to put someone out of a job in the middle of a recession and she believes that cooks don't need to support themselves (or families if they have one).

I think you're mistaken in this particular presumption. I don't see why you would presume that she thinks cooks and their families don't need to support themselves.

I dislike Mrs. Palin ("You actually can see Russia from Alaska!") and disagree with her on many issues, and would normally welcome her being out of power. However, the people of Alaska elected her a full term, and she is disregarding their wish by giving up on governing for a few months to attempt her eventual bid for the Presidency (we all know she will attempt it soon).

When this first came out, some of the Palin apologists were saying that one of the motivating factors of her resignation was her status as a lame duck governor. It's a shame that none of the television hosts I saw rebuked the liars spreading this message, given that she didn't even finish one term; and it was her decision to not run for re-election.

If she finds it too dificult to govern the 700,000 people of Alaska for a few months, how can she possibly expect people to let her govern over 300,000,000 people for four years?

LOL!

"Disregard their wish"... So, what, you're advocating slavery? Any elected official may decide to leave office if they wish as free individuals.

As for this cook issue, "presumably because"... Unless you know, what are you saying? Putting someone out of a position is the right of an employer. If there isn't value for value, its wrong. Are you claiming that she should keep someone employed for altruistic purposes?

"Disregard their wish"... So, what, you're advocating slavery? Any elected official may decide to leave office if they wish as free individuals.

Yeah, I mean, God forbid someone put themselves and their family before the State.

Good for her. I hope she chooses to stay out of politics permanently.

As much as I dislike her religious nuttery, I believe the leftist and mainstream media (but I repeat myself) attacks on her were way over the top. (Note that Biden has said many a stupid thing, and so has Obama, and neither have been called on it.) I've noticed that *any* conservative is an "idiot" by the time the MSM gets done with them. Reagan, Quayle, Palin... and Bush (well, the MSM thought he was conservative). God help you if you have a modicum of brains, are conservative, *but* are a terrible public speaker. (Anyone who thinks Bush is literally a moron has never tried to fly a fighter jet.) About the only one who escaped that caricature is Gingrich.

The barrage of legal actions brought against Palin reminded me of what happened to Gingrich--as soon as he achieved national prominence, the left started filing ethics complaint after ethics complaint, figuring one would eventually stick. (The rules are quite complex; it is probably possible to find a violation by any politician who did not completely fund his campaigns out of his own pocket. And let's not go into what those rules due to stifle issue advocacy....)

I disagree. I think Bush is actually a very smart man, if not well-spoken. But I don't think the attacks on Palin are unjustified. Depending on what you mean by "stupid," then you can make a very real argument that Palin is stupid. If stupid means "fundamentally unable to comprehend certain things," then maybe not. But if stupid means "ignorant," then it's pretty easy to make the case. How is it that a VP candidate doesn't know what NATO is? Or is unable to name more than 1 SCOTUS decision?

I disagree. I think Bush is actually a very smart man, if not well-spoken.

His aptitude was likely not with speaking. That I think is a major problem for someone who is president, because speaking well is vital to the job. At times we had to rely on Tony Blair to make strong arguments against terrorists, because Bush’s arguments weren’t nearly as forceful and effective as they could have been. That was one of the things I liked about Reagan, he was great with words.

But I don't think the attacks on Palin are unjustified.

In most cases they are over the top and/or off point. If I criticize her, I do so based on substance. The left should be able to as well, but they typically do not.

Depending on what you mean by "stupid," then you can make a very real argument that Palin is stupid. If stupid means "fundamentally unable to comprehend certain things," then maybe not. But if stupid means "ignorant," then it's pretty easy to make the case. How is it that a VP candidate doesn't know what NATO is? Or is unable to name more than 1 SCOTUS decision?

Stupid is not the same as ignorant. She is definitely ignorant of many issues that someone in her position should not be. However, I maintain the she is smart and that she has shown real talent as a speaker and debater.

I really don't want to see her back in politics, because she represents the religious right. Having said that, I think she's basically a good person.