Objectivism Online Forum

Permission...

Rate this topic

Zip

I would like to do a series on my blog (Uncommon Sense) called "Rand's Rational Rants" composed of direct quotes/sections of Rand's work like the money speech from AS and other quotable passages from TVOS and CTUI but I'm unsure if I need permission to reproduce these selections or where I would be able to get the permission.

Is posting the actual copyright and date of the material and attributing it as one would for an essay sufficient?

I'm not planning on making Objectivist comment on the content but I intend to let it speak for itself.

If anyone can answer these questions I'd appreciate it. Thanks

I would like to do a series on my blog (Uncommon Sense) called "Rand's Rational Rants" composed of direct quotes/sections of Rand's work like the money speech from AS and other quotable passages from TVOS and CTUI but I'm unsure if I need permission to reproduce these selections or where I would be able to get the permission.

Is posting the actual copyright and date of the material and attributing it as one would for an essay sufficient?

I'm not planning on making Objectivist comment on the content but I intend to let it speak for itself.

If anyone can answer these questions I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Whatever you do, don't call them "rants." It's a cute combination, but a "rant" is generally pejorative.

That would be entirely irrelevant. You can either ask for permission (in which case the estate would set whatever conditions they want) or you can proceed without permission. If the latter, you have two hopes. 1: Nobody will notice or 2: you can invoke a fair use defense at your trial.
Oh, too bad, that closes out option 2! Seriously, you are allowed to make permission-free quotes for the purpose of commentary. Maybe a good IP lawyer would spin a no-comment as being a comment, thus bringing you into the realm of fair use.

I feel fairly confident that posting Galt's Speech or the Money Speech would constitute copyright infringement, with or without added commentary. When you go beyond a couple of net paragraphs, you're probably at the edge of the allowed. An attorney would probably have the obligation to tell you to not copy anything without permission (they are supposed to advise you to not get in trouble), but once you've done it, they can construct the best possible argument that what you did was actually legally okay.

Thanks for the answers. Who would I contact to get permission from?

I might consider commenting but really, to paraphrase Shakespeare I might as well throw perfume on a violet. :)

Edited by Zip

I whould think the "official" Objectivist institutions should be the place to ask. Try ARI's website and go on from there.

Thanks, found it... and in case you were wondering

Estate of Ayn Rand

c/o The Ayn Rand Institute

2121 Alton Pkwy, Suite 250

Irvine, CA, 92606