Objectivism Online Forum

Been There, Done That

Rate this topic

In 1981, my Rightist confreres, including some Objectivists were referring to the Mujihadeem as "the Afghan Freedom Fighters". Now I'm no dope and said, "Do you know what Mujihadeem means? 'Holy Warrior' as in 'Jihad'. Now what have Islamic fanatics to do with freedom?".

Cue "crickets.wav"

The comes Charlie Wilson's War.

I got annoyed; stupidity does that to me and it really grinds my groin when it is displayed by self-proclaimed Objectivists, and was told "Hey they're fighting the Sovs" to which I said "You will find that there are worse things in this world than the Soviets [Holy Peikoff; Batman]. What if they win? They hate us as much as they hate the Russians. These are Islamic fanatics and we're 'the infidel' ansin 'kill the...'" The Islamic Fundies had been on my radar since late 1977 when the "Islamic Republic" thing started to gether steam. You don't need to be D'Anconia to know where the copper is. Just keep your eyes and ears open and your head on a swivel.

I was told. "Let them have Afghanistan, the land is terrible and good for nothing anyway" I said "except for a staging area to take a shot at us, which they will surely do the first chance they get"

Now, one of the problems we were having in Bosnia was with Mujihadeem in c1996-8" Big surprise to me, Right? And of course you know 9/11.

Would you say that as with Afghanistan, so with Iran?, I'd bet my turban on it. If you ever saw on the History Channel "Khomeini Declassified" you would come away with the idea that these people hate us to the bone and it's pretty much universal in Iran. They're nothing like us in temperament or belief and Shia is more virulent than then Sunni, Sufi or Drous and doesn't take a back seat to Wahabi Islam. So this big deal over the protesters is a choice between ruby and crimson or sky and azure. Any Westernisms are but a thin veneer and only of a tiny fraction of the population. The protests are NOT about freedom.

Now I heard one of the "best of Hanity" repeats over the weekend and guess what

"...Iranian freedom fighters"

Why do I get that Groundhog Day feeling? It's like the end of that classic 1953 sci-fi/horror flick INVADERS FROM MARS.

Edited by Space Patroller

• 3 weeks later...

Haha.. anyone recall Rambo 3?

In which Rambo teamed up with the Afghan "freedom fighters"?!

The whole "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing got taken a little too far in some people's minds apparently.

Edited by QuoVadis