Objectivism Online Forum

Atlas Shrugged Selling in Record Numbers

Rate this topic

By from The Ayn Rand Institute Media Releases,cross-posted by MetaBlog

Atlas Shrugged Selling in Record Numbers

Irvine, CA, July 13, 2009--Penguin USA, publisher of the four American editions of Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged, has reported that in the first half of 2009 it shipped well over 300,000 copies of Atlas Shrugged to distributors, bookstores, bookstore chains, online resellers, libraries, businesses and other institutions.

As Dr. Yaron Brook, executive director of the Ayn Rand Institute, noted, “Considering that in the first half of 2008 Penguin shipped about 85,000 copies, the spectacular jump to 300,000 copies in the first half of 2009 represents an increase of almost 250 percent in gross sales of Atlas Shrugged!

Reports from industry sources indicate that more copies of Atlas Shrugged were sold in book stores and by online resellers in the first half of 2009 than in all of 2008, when a new all-time annual record was established with more than 200,000 copies of the novel sold in the United States.

“The spike in sales of Atlas Shrugged more than a half century after its initial publication is truly remarkable,” Dr. Brook pointed out. “Annual sales of Atlas Shrugged have been increasing for decades to a level not seen even in Ayn Rand’s lifetime. Sales of the U.S. paperback editions averaged around 70,000 copies a year in the 1980s, and doubled to about 140,000 copies a year in the current decade. And the pace of sales has been accelerating recently, reaching an all-time high during the novel’s 50th anniversary in 2007, surpassing this mark in 2008, and on course to set another record in 2009.”

Almost 7,000,000 copies of Atlas Shrugged have been sold since it was first published in 1957.

---------------- 

dYadekdXKIo

Cross-posted from Metablog

There was a comment on the HBL that Atlas Shrugged is being carried at Costco. Costco normally only carries books that it figures it can get a quick turn around on.

There was a comment on the HBL that Atlas Shrugged is being carried at Costco. Costco normally only carries books that it figures it can get a quick turn around on.

I was in Costco yesterday and lo and behold there was Atlas Shrugged amongst the Dean Koontz and Daniel Steele. I wonder if I could by it by the pallet?

I was in Costco yesterday and lo and behold there was Atlas Shrugged amongst the Dean Koontz and Daniel Steele. I wonder if I could by it by the pallet?

At my Costco, there was a big stack of them with "best-seller" stickers next to the John Adams biography.

post-1-1248150066_thumb.jpg