Objectivism Online Forum

Bioshock 2

Rate this topic

Here's a recent videoclip about the forthcoming sequel to the vaguely Rand-inspired videogame, Bioshock. It's looking great! (Warning, it's quite spoilery re. the gameplay.)

For the record, I thought the original game, while still taking the mainstream position that Objectivism is naive, and would be disastrous in practice, was surprisingly more sympathetic to it than one might have expected from a mainstream product.

(What I mean is, I expected it to be a complete trashing of Rand's ideas, but actually the "logs" from the early times of setting up Rapture gave a good sense of life, capturing the excitement of setting up such a bold enterprise - and there were other revealing little touches in the "logs" and the general storyline that showed Mr Levine to be not totally hostile to Objectivism, such as the fact that the engineer responsible for the design and maintenance of Rapture remains throughout a sympathetic "Objectivist" character, very close to the Randian ideal, as do a few others.)