Objectivism Online Forum

Senate Passes Health Care Bill

Rate this topic

The Senate passed a $600 million health care bill requiring every American to get health care, and making employers and the "wealthy" take up the costs. The Democrats are on a full-court press to get this enacted into law, and the Republicans are not standing up for individual rights, but rather complaining about the costs and the deficit.

Looks like socialized health care is just around the corner.

The Senate passed a $600 million health care bill requiring every American to get health care, and making employers and the "wealthy" take up the costs. The Democrats are on a full-court press to get this enacted into law, and the Republicans are not standing up for individual rights, but rather complaining about the costs and the deficit.

Looks like socialized health care is just around the corner.

The legislature is giving Americans what they want. According to NPR this morning, most Americans want universal health care so long as they don't have to personally pay for it. The legislature waves its magic wand/gun and tries to make it happen.

It can't work long-term, of course, but they're trying.

Fortunately, it ony passed the committee, and still has to get through the full Senate. I will be interested to see what prison term is imposed on people who fail to get health insurance.

Exactly. If this passes the legislature, we still have the possibility that the SCOTUS will at least recognize the government has no power to make us buy anything.

Exactly. If this passes the legislature, we still have the possibility that the SCOTUS will at least recognize the government has no power to make us buy anything.

Not bloody likely. The SCOTUS hasn't stood up for economic liberty for many decades, and I see no reason why they would start now.

I know we usually talk about how obnoxious and illogical liberals can be, but this time they're making me seriously angry because they are directly trying to destroy my livelihood. I work at an architectural firm who specializes in houses on Nantucket, serving a client base that is largely comprised of millionaires. We've had to lay off more than half our employees due to the lack of work, and now they're going to greatly reduce the disposable income of our clients and more or less completely starve us of any work. Same goes for all the contractors and other trades that work in the high-end residential business. And for what? So we can all die of curable diseases on waiting lists for the government to decide whether we deserve health care? How can these liberals possibly claim they are helping anyone when they're throwing us under the bus and expecting us to thank them for it?

The House version of healthcare "reform" costs $1.5 trillion and they plan to fund it by cutting back on payments to providers and taxing the wealthy. Of course, the cost will far exceed this figure and the all of us are going to get stuck with the tab.

On the heels of the Senate health committee's approval Wednesday of a plan to provide coverage to the uninsured, three House committees shifted into action on their version of the legislation. The Democratic bills also call for the creation of a government-sponsored insurance plan to compete with private coverage, although they differ on the details.

Why is another gov't sponsored insurance plan needed? There may not be any money left for the environmental measures he wants to implement to siphon away. If Obama's goal isn't to bankrupt the country, I'd like to know what his goal is. It sure isn't to ensure that people can obtain affordable health care.

This actually makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Is there nothing we can do?

In a world bereft of Galt's Gulch, devoid of an Atlantis in the valley, what are our options?

I know it sounds like a cliche, but people have to speak out. Call your Congressman, write letters to the editor, make your views known. If enough people scream about this, there are some moderate Democrats who can probably be turned against it.

There have been grumblings from blue-dog Dems about how they can possibly get elected with all this taxpayer debt their party is putting on us. http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/20...8-bluedog_N.htm

EDIT: I just realized that link is from January. :lol: I really did hear something about it more recently though, that was just one of the articles Google came up with for me to use in this post.

Edited by K-Mac

One very bad thing about the current bill before the committee is that while private insurance will not be outlawed per se, once you are covered by the government health care you cannot opt out for a less expensive or better health care coverage offered by private insurers, and you won't be able to switch insurers once the plan takes effect. In other words, if passed as is into law, you will have to either keep what you have or go the government route -- you will not be permitted to change insurers even if you don't opt for the government insurance. They are definitely trying to set up a health care monopoly, and they want to eventually outlaw any other type of health insurance choices.

Health care options end at the point of a gun.

I don't know what can be done aside from writing all of your Representatives and Senators and say NO!

I read the article pointing this out via FaceBook and don't have the link available. It was reported in Investors Business Daily.

This actually makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Is there nothing we can do?

In a world bereft of Galt's Gulch, devoid of an Atlantis in the valley, what are our options?

Organize to create one -- more specifically, create a new, free country. Appeal to those who are sick of enslavement, but who can't conceive of a rational alternative.

One very bad thing about the current bill before the committee is that while private insurance will not be outlawed per se, once you are covered by the government health care you cannot opt out for a less expensive or better health care coverage offered by private insurers, and you won't be able to switch insurers once the plan takes effect. In other words, if passed as is into law, you will have to either keep what you have or go the government route -- you will not be permitted to change insurers even if you don't opt for the government insurance. They are definitely trying to set up a health care monopoly, and they want to eventually outlaw any other type of health insurance choices.

I wonder if it's a coincidence. This exactly parallels sharia law. You are allowed to not be a Muslim under Sharia, but the only religion you are allowed to convert to is Islam. Not being a Muslim, furthermore, carries with it penalties.

Note that once Sharia law is implmented it is only a matter of time before the country is 90+% muslim.

I wonder if it's a coincidence. This exactly parallels sharia law. You are allowed to not be a Muslim under Sharia, but the only religion you are allowed to convert to is Islam. Not being a Muslim, furthermore, carries with it penalties.

Note that once Sharia law is implmented it is only a matter of time before the country is 90+% muslim.

That is a very provocative parallel. Careful not to give the Republicans any ideas however.

They are definitely trying to set up a health care monopoly, and they want to eventually outlaw any other type of health insurance choices.

Health care options end at the point of a gun.

I don't know what can be done aside from writing all of your Representatives and Senators and say NO!

I think a government run health care monopoly is exactly what they are trying to do. The government can run it's plan without a profit, in fact they can run at a loss...forever.

So how long could any private insurance company compete with that?

When I write my Senators, asking them to vote NO, be they liberals or conservatives, all I get back is a form letter stating that both sides of the isle have agreed that the government "must do something." A phrase that sends shivers down my spine.

My Representative in the House, Cliff Stearns did send a reply stating that he is against the "public option" in heathcare reform. I guess that's something.

ARGH, my blood is boiling over this issue! How do you guys stay calm?

When I write my Senators, asking them to vote NO, be they liberals or conservatives, all I get back is a form letter stating that both sides of the isle have agreed that the government "must do something." A phrase that sends shivers down my spine.

I have a huge stack of form letters in my closet. It's very discouraging. The country is just slipping away.... :ninja:

If this is passed into law more or less intact as it is now, what are my options? The way I see it, I have 3:

• Obey (meaning purchase unwanted healthcare at the point of a gun), but protest.
  • Disobey, but pay the fine.
  • Disobey, and don't pay the fine.

The last one is the only option I see as having any sort of effect. Unfortunately, a LOT of people would have to grow spines rather quickly in order for it to work. Thoughts?

Edited by Rudmer

How about writing back to them saying no, they don't. It's not government's job, and in fact, by getting involved, government will cause the decline in the availability of health care and health insurance.

How about writing back to them saying no, they don't. It's not government's job, and in fact, by getting involved, government will cause the decline in the availability of health care and health insurance.

But we must act on the expediency of the moment! We don't have time for principles!

Seriously, though, on the plus side, Obama's public plan is now opposed 35-50%.