Objectivism Online Forum

Digital version of OPAR?

Rate this topic

DavidV

Thanks! I sent Dr Peikoff a letter - if you share my interest, you might want to as well:

Dear Dr Peikoff,

You've probably heard of Google Books, which makes millions of books searchable online. Without the rights-holder's permission, they only make short snippets searchable. However, with the author's permission, they will upgrade the status to a "limited preview" which shows the table of contents, a few of the pages, and allows more complete searches. They also link to the Amazon purchase page with your referrer code, so you can profit from people who buy it.

Now that the Objectivist CD-ROM is not longer available, and this is the only way to search the book digitally, I would greatly appreciate it if you considered granting Google the "limited preview" permission.

Google's listing of the book is at http://books.google.com/books?id=lt_WAAAAMAAJ

Edited by GreedyCapitalist

In his most recent podcast, 07/20/09, Dr. Peikoff says he gets this request often and he is working on a contract for the Kindle and other electronic means of distributing major works on Objectivism. He says the details are difficult because the industry hasn't worked everything out yet with regard to distribution and fees / payments.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know why the Objectivism cd-rom is no longer available?? I was looking into finally getting it last week and then came across this news. I think it would be one of the most beneficial things to me regarding my study of Objectivism and I was greatly disappointed as this means I am now only able to get it from someone who already has it (and is willing to give it up).... :(

Does anyone know why the Objectivism cd-rom is no longer available?? I was looking into finally getting it last week and then came across this news. I think it would be one of the most beneficial things to me regarding my study of Objectivism and I was greatly disappointed as this means I am now only able to get it from someone who already has it (and is willing to give it up).... :(

My understanding is that the electronic distribution rights were only acquired by the CD's creator for a limited time period and that period has expired. For reasons to which I am not privy the rights were not renewed.

There is a Kindle Edition of OPAR David. You do not have to have a Kindle to read it, they make apps for PC, Mac, iPHone, iPad, etc...

http://www.amazon.com/Objectivism-Philosophy-Ayn-Rand-ebook/dp/B002OSXDB4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1280655297&sr=8-2

There is a Kindle Edition of OPAR David. You do not have to have a Kindle to read it, they make apps for PC, Mac, iPHone, iPad, etc...

http://www.amazon.com/Objectivism-Philosophy-Ayn-Rand-ebook/dp/B002OSXDB4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1280655297&sr=8-2

Only problem is that it is actually MORE expensive than the paperback version (you know, the one that has production and shipping costs associated with it). I noticed that most Objectivist works had prices on the Kindle greater than or equal to their physical counterparts, including AS (which is fully 4 dollars (about 25%) more on the Kindle than any other copy of the book. With ebooks having near zero production and distribution costs (on the order of a few cents), I have no idea what the publisher is thinking. You lose some things when you switch to a digital format (the feeling of a book in your hands, that huge bookshelf stuffed with books, the smell of the paper, etc.) and gain exactly one thing: convenience. Now that might be an okay trade at an equal or lesser price for the vast majority of people, but very few (I think) will ever pay 25% more for a digital copy of anything than for a physical copy. Strikes me as a near suicidal business move. But maybe I'm just odd. Haha.

Only problem is that it is actually MORE expensive than the paperback version (you know, the one that has production and shipping costs associated with it). I noticed that most Objectivist works had prices on the Kindle greater than or equal to their physical counterparts, including AS (which is fully 4 dollars (about 25%) more on the Kindle than any other copy of the book. With ebooks having near zero production and distribution costs (on the order of a few cents), I have no idea what the publisher is thinking. You lose some things when you switch to a digital format (the feeling of a book in your hands, that huge bookshelf stuffed with books, the smell of the paper, etc.) and gain exactly one thing: convenience. Now that might be an okay trade at an equal or lesser price for the vast majority of people, but very few (I think) will ever pay 25% more for a digital copy of anything than for a physical copy. Strikes me as a near suicidal business move. But maybe I'm just odd. Haha.

This is one reason why I refuse to buy any Kindle versions of any of these books. (I just so happen to have a Kindle, I would not by choice, especially since its a 1st gen...however I recieved it as a Christmas gift from my mother a few years ago). I actually wanted to tell her (though I did not, especially since it was quite a nice (and expensive at the time) gift I had not requested...that it was moronic to do that because a revised cheaper version would be out in a year or two...low and behold, and frankly if I were to get such a thing I would wait a few more years (from right now) since something oodles better than the current Kindle, or the Nook would be out by then at a competitive price point. I am thinking the likes of an android tablet or some such.

The ONLY reason I get books on the kindle is because some things I can get for as much as 75% cheaper on there, if not free if they are classics.

Edited by CapitalistSwine

I have OPAR in PDF now and I find it very useful. It's easy to look up content in OPAR and AS based on half-remembered phrases. I've used it many times when writing. I even keep a copy on my iPhone. I'm no professional philosopher, but I cite digital sources much more often than printed ones. I hope the powers-that-be wake up to that fact and release it in an open format someday.

I have OPAR in PDF now and I find it very useful. It's easy to look up content in OPAR and AS based on half-remembered phrases. I've used it many times when writing. I even keep a copy on my iPhone. I'm no professional philosopher, but I cite digital sources much more often than printed ones. I hope the powers-that-be wake up to that fact and release it in an open format someday.

David, where did you get a PDF version of OPAR?

Also, from what you say, it seems that you have a PDF version of Atlas Shrugged. If so, where did you get it?

Thank you.

David, where did you get a PDF version of OPAR?

Also, from what you say, it seems that you have a PDF version of Atlas Shrugged. If so, where did you get it?

Thank you.

I printed the Objectivism CD-ROM to a PDF print driver.