Objectivism Online Forum

Movie: The Forgotten

Rate this topic

I went to see The Forgotten because the trailers looked interesting. Thankfully the trailer did not reveal the actual story lest my enjoyment and excitement might have sufferred. The story is an unusal blend of a psychological, mystery, and science fiction thriller. A real treat and well worth seeing.

I didn't think it looked so interesting just from the trailers. But I saw it Saturday night with some friends who preferred it to a movie based on a computer game (to my utter shock). It was great; it was all Stephen said and more. I didn't find it bizarre (a la Kafka), but I have to say, <SPOILER>the movie's method of killing people off is quite the innovation.</SPOILER> Definitely one to see.

• 2 weeks later...
I wanted my money back. :dough:

There's one simple question that I think will tell you whether or not you should see this film: if you liked the television program "The X-Files", you might enjoy this movie, as it is simply an overlong episode of that show.

I really like The X-Files and this movie bored me to tears. I kept wondering when it was going to be interesting. Thankfully it had some startling moments that at least made me jump a bit, that kept me awake.

Not much worthwhile playing in the theatres lately. Regular movie goers must be disappointed, although occassionally it's fun to see a terrible movie because ripping it to shreds afterwards can be a real treat. The Forgotten was worth the price of admission though.

This looks like one of the few movies Stephen and I disagree on. I guessed the surprise twist too early on for the suspense to mount. I thought the basic idea was intriguing, but the development of that idea (the plot) wasn't strong enough.

**** SPOILER WARNING ****

The other big disappointment was the ending. From the music, the sunshine, the smiles I guess it was supposed to be happy, but consider the actual situation: a great, terrible secret about the world has been revealed, with no possibility shown of removing this threat. OK, maybe that's a good setup for a sequel, but on its own it's disturbing. Is the director asking the audience to just forget about it?

I had a much better time visiting "Garden State." Natalie Portman is her usual wonderful self -- easy on the eyes and a wonderful character.

This looks like one of the few movies Stephen and I disagree on.

I forgive you. :(

I guessed the surprise twist too early on for the suspense to mount.  I thought the basic idea was intriguing, but the development of that idea (the plot) wasn't strong enough.

**** SPOILER WARNING ****

The other big disappointment was the ending.  From the music, the sunshine, the smiles I guess it was supposed to be happy, but consider the actual situation: a great, terrible secret about the world has been revealed, with no possibility shown of removing this threat.  OK, maybe that's a good setup for a sequel, but on its own it's disturbing.  Is the director asking the audience to just forget about it?

The ending was truly a happy one, and perhaps you missed one piece of it. The heroine demonstrated that the technique they used was not successful, and when they whisked the failed scientist away, instead of her, that was their acknowledgment that the experiment had failed, and it would end. They then reinstated life as it was, and hence the happy ending. At least, that is how I saw it.

I had a much better time visiting "Garden State."  Natalie Portman is her usual wonderful self -- easy on the eyes and a wonderful character.

I still have not gotten to see this yet, and I hope I do before it disappears.