Objectivism Online Forum

Oppose the Health Care Bill

Rate this topic

As most of you know, Congress is trying to rush through a massive health care bill by the August recess. Among many things, this bill will create a public option for health insurance that will compete with private insurers. It will also set up the “Health Insurance Exchange” platform, which will regulate which policies you can purchase. Some other horrific aspects of this bill can be read here.

Ultimately, the only way to stop bills such as these from even coming to the table is by changing the culture. People need to understand that health care is not a right, that doctors have the right to choose their patients and set their own prices, that rising costs in healthcare are due to government intervention, etc. The United States has the best health care in the world. It is undoubtedly not perfect, but it is still the best. We need to fight to maintain quality and freedom in healthcare.

We cannot change the culture in just a few weeks. So what can we do?

I think the most effective solution right now is to write to our representatives. While they may not read our letters fully, they will at least keep a count of how many of their constituents support the health care bill and how many do not. Given that politicians’ main aim these days is to get re-elected, they are more likely to not vote for this bill if they see that a larger proportion of their constituents don’t support it.

So let your voice be heard. You can write to your representatives at www.congress.org .

Keep your letters short and to the point. Be polite. There are so many aspects from which you can discuss this issue. Pick just one or two.

My letter is below. Feel free to use it in part or entirely, if you wish.

Please do not vote for the health care bill. Government health care just does not work. Consider the rationing and long wait times in Canada and Britain. This will inevitably occur in America, as well, since private insurers will not be able to compete with the unlimited funds of the public option. The public option, then, will be the only option for most Americans. The United States has the best healthcare in the world. To maintain this quality and lower the costs, we must implement free market reforms in healthcare. These include: allow consumers to shop for insurance across state lines, remove coverage mandates in insurance policies, remove tax benefits for employer-based insurance, phase out Medicare and Medicaid.

Also consider what this means for those who will be paying for this new system. A tax hike of greater than 5% on the wealthiest Americans is highly unjust. These people work hard for their money, and they should be able to spend it on the things they value. These are likely the most productive individuals in America. Taking their hard earned money to forcibly pay for the health care of their neighbor is unfair. By forcing the rich to pay for this program, we essentially turn them into our

slaves, to be used at any time to fund our agendas.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX XXXX

That is a lovely idea about the letters! I am a Nurse and quite worried about what will become of the health care system if this bill is passed (although I already have a pretty good idea). Rationed care, then possibly rationed care-givers. I have no interest in working for a socialized health care system.

As most of you know, Congress is trying to rush through a massive health care...

... ...

So let your voice be heard. You can write to your representatives at www.congress.org .

... ...

My letter is below. Feel free to use it in part or entirely, if you wish.

Please do not vote for the health care bill. ...

... ...

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX XXXX

If you would like to send me letters you have sent to legislators or the media, I would like to post them on my website. Here is one sent to the media by Dr. Hurd:

If Congress and the President really mean it when they say they want the new national health insurance to "compete" with private sector plans--and that doctors should be free to practice as they see fit--then medical professionals should consider opting OUT of the national plan. After all, isn't that what "free to practice" means? If the majority of doctors refuse to participate in the new plan, then it won't be of much good to patients--OR to the politicians who are hungry to claim credit for passing it. If voters want to force doctors to take part in these plans--in effect, to be drafted into "service," --then they should be required to openly take responsibility for what they're doing. By their refusal to participate, doctors are the only ones who can make this happen. They should not hesitate to ask their patients, "Do you want the government to draft me into service; forcing me to provide health care on the government's terms, not mine?" I'll bet the answer will be an overwhelming "No!" But as long as patients vote for politicians who impose this legislation on the very doctors and surgeons to whom they trust their health and well-being, they should be aware that is exactly what they are doing. Of course, if our President actually means it when he says he doesn't want "government-controlled" health care, and that free choice and competition should remain in place, then none of this will even be an issue--will it? It will be interesting to see if he means what he says.

You can also find and sign petitions some of which are posted on the "Political Ammunition" page at www.doctorsonstrike.com. My favorite is at http://www.doctorsonstrike.com/petitiontop...ientrights.html

Here are some more examples of letters that can be found on the same "Political Ammunition" page at www.doctorsonstrike.com:

Extremely Brief Message: Vote "No" to Statist Proposals

Dear Senator or Representative:

I urge you to vote "no" on any government-run healthcare option, "no" on any mandates for individual insurance coverage, "no" on any mandates for employer coverage, and "no" on any surcharges.

Respectfully,

Very Brief Message: Vote "No" to Statist Proposals with Your Reasons

I urge you to vote "no" on any government-run healthcare option, "no" on any mandates for individual insurance coverage, "no" on any mandates for employer coverage, and "no" on any surcharges.

These proposals are fiscally irresponsible and would be economically disastrous.

These proposals are violations of the inalienable rights of doctors and patients to make private health care decisions without governmental interference.

Respectfully,

Brief Message: Vote "No" to Statist Proposals with Your Reasons, Vote "Yes" for

Deregulation

These proposals are fiscally irresponsible and would be economically disastrous.

These proposals are violations of the inalienable rights of doctors and patients to make health care decisions without governmental interference.

I urge you instead to support and vote for legislation to decrease the federal regulation of the entire health care industry because the burdens of federal control are stifling competition and innovation, and they are a major cause of inflation in healthcare.

Respectfully,

Medium Message: Vote "No" to Statist Proposals with Your Reasons, Vote "Yes" for Deregulation, Promise Consequences

Dear Senator/Representative:

These proposals are violations of the inalienable rights of doctors and patients to make health care decisions without governmental interference.

I urge you instead to support and vote for legislation to decrease the federal regulation of the entire health care industry because the burdens of federal control are stifling competition and innovation, and they are a major cause of inflation in healthcare.

I understand that you are considering running for reelection so I will be monitoring your statements and votes on health care.

If your vote(s) reflect fiscal responsibility and respect the rights of doctors and patients, I will support your reelection.

If your vote(s) are fiscally irresponsible and violate the rights and doctors and patients, I will work to defeat your reelection.

Respectfully,

Medium Message: Assert Your Inalienable Rights, Vote "No" to Statist Proposals with Your Reasons, Vote "Yes" for Deregulation, Promise Consequences

The Declaration of Independence formally acknowledged that we are endowed with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, that our government was instituted to secure these rights, and that government itself derives its powers from the consent of the governed.

Consistent with these principles, I support--and strongly urge you to support--the propositions set forth in The Declaration of Independence for Doctors (www.doctorsonstrike.com) concerning the need to preserve, protect, and defend the inalienable rights of doctors and patients in any healthcare reform bills.

As citizens, patients and doctors (as well as other healthcare providers) have the inalienable and constitutionally protected right to make private health care decisions without governmental interference. As traders in a free market, we have the right to voluntarily negotiate mutually beneficial and acceptable terms and conditions in our dealings with one another.

In your deliberations on health care reform, I urge you to preserve, protect, and promote individual rights and freedom in medicine in America.

I understand that you are considering running for reelection so I will be monitoring your statements and votes on health care.

If your vote(s) reflect fiscal responsibility and respect the rights of doctors and patients, I will support your reelection.

If your vote(s) are fiscally irresponsible and violate the rights and doctors and patients, I will work to defeat your reelection. As doctors go on strike against government healthcare, your former constituents may not exactly welcome you with open arms. And neither will the doctors you formerly represented but betrayed. That is how seriously we take our inalienable rights.

Respectfully,

Long Message: Assert Your Inalienable Rights at Length, Vote "No" to Statist Proposals with Your Reasons, Vote "Yes" for Deregulation, Promise Consequences

Every year we celebrate Independence Day - that momentous day in our nation’s history when our founding fathers formally acknowledged in The Declaration of Independence that we are endowed with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, that our government was instituted to secure these rights, and that government itself derives its powers from the consent of the governed.

Consistent with these principles, I support--and strongly urge you to support--these propositions set forth in The Declaration of Independence for Doctors (www.doctorsonstrike.com) concerning the need to preserve, protect, and defend the inalienable individual rights of doctors and patients in any healthcare reform bills being considered in Congress.

— That patients - as citizens - have inalienable rights, including the right to voluntarily buy healthcare services in a free market; that patients have the right to negotiate mutually acceptable terms and conditions in their private relationships with their doctors - without governmental interference; that patients have the same rights in their trading relationships with other providers of healthcare goods and services, including but not limited to all other healthcare practitioners, hospitals, nursing homes, pharmacies, drug companies, and medical equipment manufacturers;

— That doctors - as citizens - have inalienable rights, including the right to voluntarily sell healthcare services in a free market; that doctors have the right to negotiate mutually acceptable terms and conditions in their private relationships with their patients - without governmental interference; that the same rights apply to all other providers of healthcare goods and services, including, but not limited to, all other healthcare practitioners, hospitals, nursing homes, pharmacies, drug companies, and medical equipment manufacturers;

— That government does not have any constitutional or moral authority to force any doctors to serve the healthcare needs of any patients on any terms and conditions dictated by government; that doing this would be nothing more than a stealthy form of involuntary servitude, which is immoral and unconstitutional; that for similar reasons government does not have authority to dictate the production, pricing, availability, or delivery of any other healthcare goods and services provided by any healthcare provider to any patients;

— That there is no inalienable right to healthcare; that healthcare products and services are to be bought and sold as are any other products or services in the free market system; that government healthcare is unconstitutional; that the onus of proof lies with those who make the positive assertion that there is a constitutional right to healthcare; that people so burdened can search as long and hard as they like, but will not find a right to healthcare in the Federalist Papers, Declaration of Independence, or U.S. Constitution;

— That government does not have any constitutional or moral authority to "mandate" or otherwise compel individuals to be covered by healthcare insurance, or penalize individuals if they don’t chose to be covered by health insurance; that this mandate is immoral and unconstitutional because it violates the inalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness;

— That government does not have any constitutional or moral authority to "mandate" or otherwise compel any employers of any size to provide healthcare insurance to their employees, or penalize employers if they don’t; that this mandate is nothing more than stealthy stealing - an unjust expropriation and transfer of wealth; that this is immoral and unconstitutional because it violates the inalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness;

— That government does not have any constitutional or moral authority to impose a "surcharge" or otherwise force one group - taxpayers - to pay for the healthcare of any other group - patients; that this is a nothing more than stealthy stealing - an unjust expropriation and transfer of wealth that is immoral and unconstitutional because it violates the inalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness;

— That government does not have any constitutional or moral authority to shift the financial burden of healthcare from one group - the present generation of patients - onto the backs of another group - the next generation of taxpayers; that this is generational theft - a form of stealthy stealing - an unjust expropriation and transfer of wealth that is immoral and unconstitutional because it violates the inalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

In your deliberations on health care reform, I urge you to respect the fact that patients and doctors (as well as other healthcare providers) have the inalienable and constitutionally protected right to make private health care decisions without governmental interference. As traders in a free market, we have the right to voluntarily negotiate mutually beneficial and acceptable terms and conditions in our dealings with one another.

I urge you to vote "no" on any government option, "no" on any mandates for individual insurance coverage, "no" on any mandates for employer coverage, and "no" on any surcharges.

These proposals are immoral and unconstitutional violations of our inalienable rights.

I urge you instead to support and vote for legislation to decrease the federal regulation of the entire healthcare industry because the burdens of federal control are stifling competition and innovation, and they are a major cause of inflation in healthcare goods and services.

If your vote(s) are fiscally irresponsible and violate the rights and doctors and patients, I will work to defeat your reelection. As doctors go on strike against government healthcare, your former constituents may not exactly welcome you with open arms. And neither will the doctors you formerly represented but betrayed. That is how seriously we take our inalienable rights.

Respectfully,

Edited by softwareNerd
Reduce quoted-text size

My letter wasn't respectful, as I've had it with my worthless Congress-critters. I have no respect for these oligarchs.

Dear [recipient name was inserted here],

Universal Health care is based on the false moral premise that doctors and

health care providers are natural resources, as well as the false moral

premise that some individuals are entitled to the labor or property of

other individuals.

Government run health care will not reduce costs. It will, however, cause

rationing, degrade quality of services, cause a mass exodus of capable

doctors, destroy individual choice, spread suffering, and help contribute

to further economic collapse.

Let my opposition to this obscene plan be known now.

Please do not respond to me with your standard form letter. I refuse to

accept your foregone conclusion that government "must do something" or

that health care reform is "essential to economic recovery." Both of

these statements are lies. Universal health care is NOT moral, is

unacceptable, and will help to ruin this country. You have no excuse to

vote for it.

Sincerely,

ers

My letter wasn't respectful, as I've had it with my worthless Congress-critters. I have no respect for these oligarchs.

Dear [recipient name was inserted here],

Universal Health care is based on the false moral premise that doctors and

health care providers are natural resources, as well as the false moral

premise that some individuals are entitled to the labor or property of

other individuals.

Government run health care will not reduce costs. It will, however, cause

rationing, degrade quality of services, cause a mass exodus of capable

doctors, destroy individual choice, spread suffering, and help contribute

to further economic collapse.

Let my opposition to this obscene plan be known now.

Please do not respond to me with your standard form letter. I refuse to

accept your foregone conclusion that government "must do something" or

that health care reform is "essential to economic recovery." Both of

these statements are lies. Universal health care is NOT moral, is

unacceptable, and will help to ruin this country. You have no excuse to

vote for it.

Sincerely,

ers

Right to the point--may I put this on our website to inspire others by your example? I'll delete the "ers" signature if you like.

gg

• 2 years later...