Objectivism Online Forum

The Dark Knight Returns & The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Rate this topic

TheEgoist

So after re-reading both of these over vacation, I've concluded it would be really great reading for any Objectivist at all interested in graphic novels. Especially in "Strikes Again", which is a direct sequel, Batman is pretty much a pissed off John Galt. I didn't really see it this way until my friend told me to re-read it and pay lots of attention to Superman, who plays the role both of antagonist and protagonist.

Considering Frank Miller has called himself an Objectivist and avid Rand fan, I can't say the conclusions I've drawn are far fetched. Though many of Miller's works are not philosophically driven (Sin City), these two novels really are however subtly.

So after re-reading both of these over vacation, I've concluded it would be really great reading for any Objectivist at all interested in graphic novels. Especially in "Strikes Again", which is a direct sequel, Batman is pretty much a pissed off John Galt. I didn't really see it this way until my friend told me to re-read it and pay lots of attention to Superman, who plays the role both of antagonist and protagonist.

Considering Frank Miller has called himself an Objectivist and avid Rand fan, I can't say the conclusions I've drawn are far fetched. Though many of Miller's works are not philosophically driven (Sin City), these two novels really are however subtly.

Is "Strikes Again" new? I have "Returns", the one where is old, is driven to come out of retirement, kills the joker, and goes underground after arranging a false death.

Is "Strikes Again" new? I have "Returns", the one where is old, is driven to come out of retirement, kills the joker, and goes underground after arranging a false death.

Strikes Again was something like 01. It's a direct sequel of "Returns", although written awhile after. I think they actually have a bound edition of both for something like 40 bucks?

And Grames, wtf? Spoilers man! Black highlight that stuff.

Edited by TheEgoist

One of Miller's "Martha Washington" graphic novels is explicitly inspired by Atlas Shrugged. (I think it's the second one in the trilogy.)

I never knew that Frank Miller is an objectivist! I absolutely loved the Dark Knight Returns, and never knew that there was a sequel (which I am out to get right away!).

I never knew that Frank Miller is an objectivist! I absolutely loved the Dark Knight Returns, and never knew that there was a sequel (which I am out to get right away!).

Don't overstate the case. I wouldn't consider Frank Miller to be an Objectivist, although he is definitely influenced by Rand.

Don't overstate the case. I wouldn't consider Frank Miller to be an Objectivist, although he is definitely influenced by Rand.

I'm pretty sure I saw an interview where he out and out stated it. I was looking for it to put in the original post of this thread but couldn't find it.

I'm pretty sure I saw an interview where he out and out stated it. I was looking for it to put in the original post of this thread but couldn't find it.

That would be news to me, if true. Although even there I have to note that an Objectivist is someone who understands and accepts the principles of Objectivism; many people claim to be Objectivists who in fact are not, at least not by that criterion.

In any case, Miller produces great art most of the time, and I think most Objectivists would to some degree appreciate his Batman contributions of TDKR and TDKSA.

I will say that TDKR in its art, plot and dialog is head and shoulders better than TDKSA.

I just read both graphic novels in about 3 days and was completely blown away. I got chills at points. I do not think another graphic novel has ever been as well done. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes comics, graphic novels, Batman, or Objectivism.

As for Miller being Objectivist, I think he is like most fairly popular "Objectivists". He shows a somewhat mixed view especially with his placement of the Question in TDKSA.