Objectivism Online Forum

Yay Lots Of Objectivists!

Rate this topic

Hi everyone :) yes I love this emoticon!

So, I hope that all the people that claim to be objectivists here really do practice it. I've met a good number of people who have read Rand's books who just think of them as nice and wish they could be like that, but think it is too idealistic. I don't- I live it and I hope you guys do too because you will be sooooo ubelievably happy! That's my two cents.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA currently trying to get my PhD.

Hi everyone  :)  yes I love this emoticon!

So, I hope that all the people that claim to be objectivists here really do practice it. I've met a good number of people who have read Rand's books who just think of them as nice and wish they could be like that, but think it is too idealistic. I don't- I live it and I hope you guys do too because you will be sooooo ubelievably happy! That's my two cents.

Welcome to the forum.

What field are you studying?

p.s. The word "Objectivism" (with a capital "O") denotes the proper name of the philosophy developed by Ayn Rand. So the word "Objectivists," meaning those who understand and follow that philosophy, should likewise be capitalized.

So, I hope that all the people that claim to be objectivists here really do practice it.

Welcome!

Given how hard it is to establish and run a community like this, I think you'll be happy with what you see here. Most of us are committed Objectivists who share a reverence for the philosophy of Ayn Rand--part of this is understanding that philosophy is not a parlor game but a tool for living on earth.

Hi everyone  :)  yes I love this emoticon!

Hey. I'm president of the CMU Objectivist Club, which is obviously in Pitt. E-mail me @ [email protected] if you're interested in participating.

Hey.  I'm president of the CMU Objectivist Club, which is obviously in Pitt.  E-mail me @ [email protected] if you're interested in participating.

Hey Im studying Bioengineering. Actually I was going to email you before now, but didn't get around to it yet. There is a Pitt Libertarian club forming and some of us are objectivists.

By the way- I use the little o in objectivist because some people do not consider themselves Big O Objectivists. Sorry if I offend you big O's, but I am trying not to exclude people who think of themselves as little o's. I say I am an objectivist because a lot of people call themselves Objectivists and to them means you follow Ayn Rand to the T on everything and anything. I look at objectivism as not just her philosophy, but as using Reason as your means of knowledge. Seeing how Rand is not alive anymore she cannot contribute anymore to new issues, but some people that are trying to continue her philosophy (such as some affiliated with the TOC and ARI) and I do not agree fully with some of their views. Therefore, I am an objectivist- sorry I do not mean to offend anyone.

Seeing how Rand is not alive anymore she cannot contribute anymore to new issues, but some people that are trying to continue her philosophy (such as some affiliated with the TOC and ARI) and I do not agree fully with some of their views. Therefore, I am an objectivist- sorry I do not mean to offend anyone.

Seems it wasn't just a grammatical mistake on your part but actually a much deeper issue of misunderstanding. ToC does not advance Objectivism any more than Libertarians advance liberty.

This BBS is for studying capital "O" Objectivism.

I say I am an objectivist because a lot of people call themselves Objectivists and to them means you follow Ayn Rand to the T on everything and anything. I look at objectivism as not just her philosophy, but as using Reason as your means of knowledge.

That is a very peculiar formulation since "using Reason as your means of knowledge" is a fundamental part of her philosophy. I suspect what you mean to say is that you really disagree with parts of Objectivism.

Seeing how Rand is not alive anymore she cannot contribute anymore to new issues,

But, evidently, "new issues" is not the real concern, but rather that you disagree with Ayn Rand and Objectivism about old issues. You seem to imply in your post that you are a Libertarian, and if so that is a major disagreement with Objectivism on an old issue, not a new one.