Objectivism Online Forum

what makes an entrepreneur?

Rate this topic

Lagroht

I recently did a little search on theories of entrepreneurship, because I am interested in how people get started with it.

I know some people seem adapt at starting businesses and since I don't believe in magic I assume there must be something in the way they think that makes them decide, at the right moment, to go and do their thing.

During my search I stumbled over the work of saras sarasvathy (a business professor). She actually interviewed a great deal of people who have started multiple businesses during their live and has based on that come up with here theory of effectuation.

The paper from this link basically explains everything about it: http://www.effectuation.org/ftp/effectua.pdf (she's preparing a book, but I expect it to essentially contain the same idea's, only repeated in different forms).

She is not big on philosophy, but in some other writings she makes references to pragmatism, given her approach of just starting with existing means and knowledge and setting goals based on 'what you can do' and 'what you do know': and then augment or change your goals as you learn more or acquire new means while doing this, I think this is understandable.

I think she creates an artificial dichotomy of effectuation versus causality. She artificially limits causality to a process of reasoning back on how to achieve final causes, while here effectuation is nothing else than reasoning forward based on efficient causes.

Nevertheless I think she seems to be on to something, I am interested in anybodies thoughts on this.

If someone is a cook he can start his own restaurant or try to market one if his own recipes. If you are a mechanic you can open up your own garage and sell car parts with it or perhaps specialize in customizing cars. Some people just get rich with nothing other than doing 'buy low - sell high' over and over again. so I don't really agree with the notion that few people can create anything worth paying for; actually I think most entrepreneurs have no special domain skills or knowledge compared to average skilled professionals. I know someone who I actually do not consider very intelligent which makes good money with his own yacht painting company...surely anybody can hold a paint spray. I think the differences is one of principle; an entrepreneur always seeks his independence, he doesn't let the responsibility of determining what he should do to make money or how to find customers for is work lie with someone else but himself.

I recently did a little search on theories of entrepreneurship, because I am interested in how people get started with it.

I know some people seem adapt at starting businesses and since I don't believe in magic I assume there must be something in the way they think that makes them decide, at the right moment, to go and do their thing.

Almost true, except for "the right moment". Entrepreneurs do. They learn, and the best learn as much as they can from other people's experience, but most importantly, they DO. They go out and do SOMETHING.

I just got finished reading a "success story" from the Rich Dad Poor Dad series (excellent series by the way if you want to be financially independent) from a 13 year old boy who a few years ago, started out selling lemonade, saved his money, bought a shaved ice machine, got into making candles and selling them, then into distributing them instead of manufacturing them, and now has his name on his very first rental property (mortgage secured by his parents cause he IS 13 but HE is the one who owns the property and he's the one responsible for it).

During my search I stumbled over the work of saras sarasvathy (a business professor). She actually interviewed a great deal of people who have started multiple businesses during their live and has based on that come up with here theory of effectuation.

The paper from this link basically explains everything about it: http://www.effectuation.org/ftp/effectua.pdf (she's preparing a book, but I expect it to essentially contain the same idea's, only repeated in different forms).

I'll read it - but I've seen papers like this before - always by people who get information constipation. They learn but they never do, cause they never learn "enough".

I find that often the most intellectually talented individuals are the least financially successful because they never take action.

Almost true, except for "the right moment". Entrepreneurs do. They learn, and the best learn as much as they can from other people's experience, but most importantly, they DO. They go out and do SOMETHING.

Right, actually this is also said by saras.

I'll read it - but I've seen papers like this before - always by people who get information constipation. They learn but they never do, cause they never learn "enough".

I find that often the most intellectually talented individuals are the least financially successful because they never take action.

Are you saying you think she is in error with her theory?, I think the fact that she herself isn't an entrepreneur doesn't necessarily invalidates everything she says about the subject since she researched actual entrepreneurs.

I also found some videos in which she explains verbally: http://bigthink.com/sarassarasvathy/saras-...eneurial-method

Right, actually this is also said by saras.
Encouraging - I'll bump reading it up on my priority list!

Are you saying you think she is in error with her theory?, I think the fact that she herself isn't an entrepreneur doesn't necessarily invalidates everything she says about the subject since she researched actual entrepreneurs.

Not at all - I say nothing about her or this paper - I haven't read it. I am saying only that I've seen other papers on the subject before and been disappointed.