Objectivism Online Forum

individualistic rock songs

Rate this topic

The Wrath

Has anyone heard the new Porcupine Tree album, The Incident?

On it there is a song called The Blind House, which is anti-religion. It is a pretty beautiful song.

Yeah it is. Porcupine Tree is a great band- one of my favorites. They have a ton of pro-indivualistic songs condemming conformity & complacancy within today's society. Steve Wilson, the vocalist and guitarist, exhibits a great amount of passion in his music like a true musician should- meticulously critiquing and perfecting his arrangements and recordings. Some people make the assumption that he's just high strung and a perfectionist, but I think he exemplifies what Ayn Rand would see as admirable.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it is. Porcupine Tree is a great band- one of my favorites. They have a ton of pro-indivualistic songs condemming conformity & complacancy within today's society. Steve Wilson, the vocalist and guitarist, exhibits a great amount of passion in his music like a true musician should- meticulously critiquing and perfecting his arrangements and recordings. Some people make the assumption that he's just high strung and a perfectionist, but I think he exemplifies what Ayn Rand would see as admirable.

I definitely agree. Porcupine Tree doesn't bombard you with altruism either. I can't recall a song promoting self-sacrifice, though I have only heard as far back as Signify and I have not gotten too deep into their lyrics.

• 1 month later...

You are not alone. I am a tremendous fan of Porcupine Tree, and every other musical project of Steven Wilson in existence. I even own an autographed Molotov and Haze LP, and a copy of Spiral Circus on cassette. I always enjoy watching Steven Wilson being interviewed. He is a very passionate, well-spoken, intelligent musician. You can tell that he knows his stuff. Some of his views may serve as good topics for this forum, like his criticism of the CD and MP3 era, or the concept behind Fear of a Blank Planet. I thought that I was the only person here who knew anything about Porcupine Tree.

• 7 months later...

After reading this thread a few months ago, I decided to check out Porcupine Tree. I gotta say, they're simply phenomenal. Their four most recent albums especially, I just loved. In terms of musical composition, it is some of the best music I've heard. I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best things about Porcupine Tree is that, unlike many progressive rock bands, he doesn't masturbate with his guitar for the length of a song. I mean, I have nothing against guitar solos, but stuff like Dream Theater and Mahavishnu Orchestra sound much more like circus acts than they do actual art. I have nothing against being a virtuoso, but when it gets in the way of the art, it bores me to death.

"Give it All" by Rise Against:

"

Break through the undertow, your hands I can't seem to find,

Pollution burns my tongue, cough words I can't speak so I

Stop my struggling, then I float to the surface,

Fill my lungs with air, then let it out

I give it all, now there's a reason why I sing,

So give it all, and it's these reasons that belong to me

Rock bottoms where we live, and still we dig these trenches,

To bury ourselves in them, backs breaking under tension

For far too long these voices, muffled by distances,

It's time to come to our senses, up from the dirt

We give it all, now there's a reason why I sing,

Breathe (breathe), the air we give (give), the life we live (live), our pulses racing distances,

(breathe) so wet my tongue (give), break into song (live), through seas of competition

So please believe your eyes, a sacrifice,

Is not what we had in our minds,

I'm coming home tonight, home tonight

We give it all, now there's a reason why I sing,

Today I offer all myself to this I'm living for my dying wish,

I give it all, now there's a reason, there's a reason, to give it all"

• 2 weeks later...

One of my all time favourite songs, by the Australian band 'The Living End'

Prisoner of Society:

Well we don't need no one to tell us what to do

Oh yes we're on our own and there's nothing you can do

So we don't need no one like you

To tell us what to do

We don't refer to the past when showing what we've done

The generation gap means the war is never won

The past is in your head

The future's in our hands

Cos I'm a brat

And I know everything

And I talk back

Cos I'm not listening

To anything you say

And if you count to three (one two three)

You'll see there's no emergency

You'll see I'm not the enemy

Just a prisoner of society

Slash came out with a great album somewhat recently, the song "Promise" has particularly good lyrics (although the entire album has great guitar, a la Slash):

Promise me

You won’t let them put out your fire

Put out your fire

Promise me

You won't let them put out your fire

Put out your fire

Now sometimes the world tries to slap you

And it seems to love watching you fall

I wont lie to you, it's gonna happen

You got to pick yourself up and move on

Promise me

You won’t let them put out your fire

Put out your fire

Edited by Dante

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a Funky Soul tune that has some pretty cool lyrics. Sorry I don't have them in their entirety, I was taking them down since I couldn't find them on google.

Teddy Pendergrass - You Can't Hide From Yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPHjJ7ahcA8&feature=fvw

"You can't hide from yourself / everywhere you go there you are.

The truth is a light - a light shining within,

When you look in the mirror do you see a foe or a friend?

Make peace with yourself before you can love another

Understand who and what you are before you can go any further

You can't hide... look in the mirror there you are

You can't run from yourself, there you are - you can't run, no!"

• 5 years later...

My song sells my philosophical position through a metaphor:  come to my restaurant.  That said, the clip's featured restaurant is very popular, in the Central Coast holiday haven of New South Wales (if you're planning on being in the area). https://youtu.be/-UAim4E4TSM  (And sharing is encouraged by the management!)

Edited by Bob Arnold
Trying to drum up interest!

• 3 years later...

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread before: "I Am A Rock" by Simon and Garfunkel. It is not just individualistic, but bitterly so. There's a lot of loneliness and resignation in the song.

PS: Sorry for posting in an old thread, but I found the title of this thread really interesting, and it got me thinking about the individualistic songs I may know.