Objectivism Online Forum

Muslim Population distortions

Rate this topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8189231.stm

This does not surprise me. Many of these alarmist videos on Youtube and elsewhere are sponsored not by any secular organization or individual, but by Christians saying that our Christian nations are being conquered by infidels...Do not expect honesty from anyone.

Edit: here is one of the many whackjob videos.

Edited by TheEgoist

Completely untrustworthy? Do you have something to back that up. The statistics, as far as I've seen, are backed up more by the BBC than the anti-immigration/anti-muslim zealots. The BBC is as trustworthy as most major news sources; do you distrust all MSM?

Distrusting the BBC as much as you distrust a completely unsourced video seems silly. FOX and CNN have had on people quickly debunking the spooky-music, unsourced "Loose Change" before. Just because FOX and CNN are not the most objective sources does not mean they must be disbelieved on principle.

The only real source in the video is from a German statistician, who later said he never said that "Germany will be a Muslim nation by 2050.". The BBC provides all their sources, and the sources seem to be ones that aren't aiming at a pro or anti-muslim bias.

Edited by TheEgoist

Completely untrustworthy? Do you have something to back that up.

Years of experience listening to them on everything from global warming, to the Israel/Palestinian situation, to the war on terror. I simply don't listen to them nor trust them any more.

I'm not saying they are wrong, but I am saying I would be a fool to believe anything they say without checking it against other reliable sources.

Oh and BTW, the BBC is not even MSM, it is an agency of the British Government. Enough said!

Which is very sad, because at one time they had a well earned reputation of being the most honest and best news network on the planet. This was back in WWII. Today they are postmodernist hacks of the worst sort.

As a Brit I have to agree with some of the sentiments regarding the BBC expressed here.

To describe them as an agent of the government is misleading - they are fiercely independent from government - however they do seem to operate within their own cultural bubble and are somewhat out of touch as a result.

From my own point of view there does appear to be a problem of institutional bias towards the left, multiculturalism, Islam and the Arab view of certain conflicts (Israel/Palestine being a good example). This may just be a symptom of the background of their staff. A recent BBC trust ruling regarding a piece on the Six Day War did add credence to this argument - more info here.

Another part of the problem as I see it is that they try to please everyone by steering the "middle course" on controversial issues - even if there is no "middle" - so the net effect is that they just end up p*ssing everyone off!

But all these things are subjective I suppose and depend on the viewer's own bias.

This does not surprise me. Many of these alarmist videos on Youtube and elsewhere are sponsored not by any secular organization or individual, but by Christians saying that our Christian nations are being conquered by infidels...Do not expect honesty from anyone.

I don't have access to either the necessary data or the statistical skills to determine whether these claims about Muslim population growth are true. However, it isn't just the Christian whack-jobs who are talking about this stuff. In fact, I've heard Muslim extremists make similar kinds of claims. If my memory serves, our old friend Osama Bin Laden said something to the effect that high Muslim birth rates are the ultimate weapon against the "crusaders" and the "infidels". Given the negative birth rates in some European countries, this is likely a demographic trend that shouldn't be ignored. However, I tend to doubt that it's really something to get alarmed over, at least at this time.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't have access to either the necessary data or the statistical skills to determine whether these claims about Muslim population growth are true. However, it isn't just the Christian whack-jobs who are talking about this stuff. In fact, I've heard Muslim extremists make similar kinds of claims. If my memory serves, our old friend Osama Bin Laden said something to the effect that high Muslim birth rates are the ultimate weapon against the "crusaders" and the "infidels". Given the negative birth rates in some European countries, this is likely a demographic trend that shouldn't be ignored. However, I tend to doubt that it's really something to get alarmed over, at least at this time.

Okay, so religious lunatics of all brands then? :)

Anyway, the video in question cites no sources at all. The BBC cites many, including government censuses. If you want to count on the government for something, count on them to keep track of their citizens well enough.

• 4 weeks later...

The French may not like Islamic culture, but they're happy to take their money:

PARIS — As France debates whether to ban the burqa, the government is leading a drive to attract billions in investment from Muslim countries by turning Paris into the European capital of Islamic finance.

The French parliament this month has approved changes to legislation to allow Islamic "sukuk" bonds to be issued and the Qatar Islamic Bank has applied to be the first such bank to open in France.

Home to Europe's biggest Muslim minority, France is hoping to unseat London as the European hub for Islamic banking, offering products that comply with Sharia law and meet the needs of big investors mostly from Gulf countries.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/artic...FI5s7zQxguXDBiQ

Allowing mass immigration of Muslims is insane.

No, what's insane is that statement. The problem with Britain is its multiculturalism, constantly adjusting its laws because of expanding demographics in a certain religious tent. Disallowing people to immigrate is as immoral as allowing Islam to take over the policy of a country, not that England was ever a free place. It's probably the biggest police state in the West.