Objectivism Online Forum

Is "never take the unearned" a moral principle?

Rate this topic

Sorry if I am asking a basic question here. I have heard this before but never asked about it or read where it origionated. Is there a principle that states you should not take the unearned? And if so, why? Obviously you should not force someone and take what they do not give you, so that leaves parasitism. And honestly, I don't understand why this is a bad way to live your life. Any thoughts?

Edited by Hazmatac

Sorry if I am asking a basic question here. I have heard this before but never asked about it or read where it origionated. Is there a principle that states you should not take the unearned? And if so, why? Obviously you should not force someone and take what they do not give you, so that leaves parasitism. And honestly, I don't understand why this is a bad way to live your life. Any thoughts?

What will you do when your host decides to stop feeding you?

My bad, I was tired when I wrote my original post. I didn't mean living as a parasite permanently. But would it be wrong to be a "parasite" by say, living temporarily at your friends house while you get back on your feet? Or is this not an instance of taking the undeserved due to the friendship?

So essentially what I am asking is, is it okay to get help from someone temporarily?

Edited by Hazmatac

My bad, I was tired when I wrote my original post. I didn't mean living as a parasite permanently. But would it be wrong to be a "parasite" by say, living temporarily at your friends house while you get back on your feet? Or is this not an instance of taking the undeserved due to the friendship?

So essentially what I am asking is, is it okay to get help from someone temporarily?

That was what I thought you meant originally, but I could see why you were misunderstood. I think what you're asking is: Is is a necessary condition for a moral person to always be independent? If that is the question, the answer is no. I think the concept of the "unearned" is too derivative to form a moral principle (contrasted with something like "never ask another man to sacrifice", or "never initiate force against another individual"). Perhaps something like "never demand the unearned" could be applicable, but taking the unearned is something we all do. No one gets everything they need through trade, most notably children, the elderly, the infirm, etc. Morally, they may deserve the support they are provided, but strictly speaking I wouldn't say a child has "earned" the support of his parents.

I believe Donahue- or perhaps another Objectivist- asked Ayn Rand about Frank O'Connor and the fact that he didn't work, that she supported him. Her response was that she derived a great value from his existence and his happiness- that was payment enough for her.

Of course it is moral to accept help from the willing and to offer help to someone in need.

The immorality comes when the unearned is expected, or extorted or in the case of liberals, when they see someone in need of help they decide that not only they should help but that others must be forced to as well.

It is important though, when accepting help to not make a habit or take it for granted.

I'd suggest if you've fallen on rough times and a friend is letting you live at their place that you help pay for what you can, do chores around the house and in general make your host's life pleasant.

Then you will be giving value for value even if your contribution is not equal.

In this way you can maintain your pride.. and not worry about your host becoming sick of your presence.

I believe Donahue- or perhaps another Objectivist- asked Ayn Rand about Frank O'Connor and the fact that he didn't work, that she supported him. Her response was that she derived a great value from his existence and his happiness- that was payment enough for her.

I believe that was Mike Wallace.

"Never take the unearned" would be too much of a moral "commandment" to be universally applicable, anyway. Heck, if you take it that way, it'd prohibit businesses from accepting venture capital because they haven't earned it *yet*.

Life is too complex for moral commandments. It requires principles and the reason to apply them.