Objectivism Online Forum

friend wounded in Afghanistan

Rate this topic

A good friend of mine from college had an IED detonated against his vehicle in Afghanistan. According to updates I've gotten from his wife, his legs are messed up pretty bad. He has severe lacerations and both of his heels were shattered, so he has to have reconstructive surgery to fix that. They're saying the road to recovery will be a long one and that he'll be in a wheelchair for a while, possibly even the rest of his life.

This is really troubling to me, for a couple of reasons. The first is that he and his wife already have a young son with just about every kind of difficulty you can imagine. He has some genetic issue that involves the ends of two chromosomes being transposed (or something like that), he is severely disabled, and is not expected to live for very long. So, needless to say, being deprived of the use of his legs is about the last thing they need right now. The other thing I find troubling is that this guy always took magnificent care of his body and was the epitome of physical fitness...so seeing him confined to a wheelchair will not be easy. I'm assuming he won't be able to stay in the Army, but I just can't imagine what else he will do...he was made to be in the military, and I have real difficulty picturing him doing anything else.

The incident is mentioned in this article. Even though he isn't named, he is the wounded soldier in this article who crawled out of the vehicle to put tourniquets on other wounded soldiers. Another soldier put tourniquets on the journalists, so the article didn't get that quite right.

I know Objectivists don't pray, and neither do I...neither does he, for that matter, since he's an atheist. So, I guess the atheist equivalent would be to just ask you to keep him in your thoughts and be thankful that there are people like him who are willing to risk so much.

I've lost a couple of friends to this war, its a hard thing. I can only offer the hope that often those who are in the best shape physically when they get wounded often heal beyond their doctors expectations.

I know in Canada the military is doing more now to retain injured soldiers in other than combat roles when they get wounded. Does the US Army offer the same opportunity? We have one Medic MCpl (Sgt E5 equivalent) who lost both legs who travels the country telling his story and helping to train troops for deployments especially the medical field. He also helps wounded soldiers deal with their injuries.

I've had relatives over there, and they were under heavy fire. Fortunately, none of them got wounded, though one of them did drive a HumV for his troops for a while.

Hope your friend recovers. Give him a lot of moral support, even if he remains in a wheel chair. And tell him thanks for fighting for freedom.

I know in Canada the military is doing more now to retain injured soldiers in other than combat roles when they get wounded. Does the US Army offer the same opportunity? We have one Medic MCpl (Sgt E5 equivalent) who lost both legs who travels the country telling his story and helping to train troops for deployments especially the medical field. He also helps wounded soldiers deal with their injuries.

Yes, they do, though it is of course limited in scope. I've seen soldiers missing most of both hands still in uniform, but the Army draws the line if the soldier can no longer perform any duty (such as if he were paralyzed). On the other hand, if he wants to leave the Army for whatever reason it will not be difficult.

His unit is doing something special over there, being the first Stryker Brigade in Afghanistan. I'm sure he's received plenty of this from other strangers, but give him my thanks and appreciation for what he's done.

Canada's been operating "Stryker" type vehicles in Afghanistan since 2001. They have done pretty well though the terrain does significantly shorten their usable lifespan.

Someone remind me exactly why we are there? Where are the anti-war protesters now?

You forgot, this is the "good war", according to them. The other one was Bush's bad war.

I'm constantly amazed and impressed by the bravery and committment of the men and women who put everything on the line to defend this country. In my estimation, they are some of the highest quality people on the planet. In fact, if I didn't think this government was so off track, I would have even encouraged my own son to enter the military. As it sits now, I can't stomach the thought of him or any of these other noble men and women making the ultimate sacrifice at the command of political leaders who are as philosophically flawed as the ones running this country.

Wrath, I hope your buddy has a complete recovery.

Well, apparently the muscle damage isn't as bad as we were originally told, so he won't be needing grafts and will be able to walk again. He still needs reconstructive surgery on his heels, but every news update seems more optimistic than the last. He's also being sent home, so that will be a relief for he and his wife, since they originally thought they were gonna have to move somewhere to get the proper treatment.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't worry guys the US military takes care of disabled soldiers/sailors/marines/airmen. I'm sure he'll get unlimited poor VA health care for the rest of his life, as well as his whole paycheck if not more. He'll be fine financially I suspect.