Objectivism Online Forum

The continuing search for "others"

Rate this topic

Hello. I'm writing from WI. I'm 29 years old, and a mother of 2.

This has been a pretty frustrating 29 years. I have been looking for a teacher, or a mentor to help me in my pursuit of knowledge. I realized that this imaginary mentor either doesn't exist, or is too secluded to be found by me. I am forced to shift my search. I'm now looking for others.

Why do I even need others? I think it's an emotional desire because the prospect of being utterly alone in the world is too... lonely.

Hopefully this forum will bear some fruit!

I am a self-taught individual who has followed the principles of Objectivism naturally because I lacked of any other method of learning due to neglect. I was filed through gifted programs in school. I was dealt with. I was, and continue to be a problem. I offend most people, and confuse the rest. I didn't have a word for Objectivism until I plowed through Ayn Rand's work. Before, I had to call myself an atheist libertarian with qualifications. I consider consistency, and freedom to be the closest things to "holy" or "sacred."

I have found myself wishing on many occasions to no longer be smart. It reminds me of the movie "Pi" where the main character runs a drill through his skull to end his mathematical prowess and no longer know God. Anything to end this fucking intellectual solitude.

I believe truth can be obtained through philosophy. Consider me existentialist until something better presents itself.

Yes - my grammar is bad. No, I do not care about it.

*cracks knuckles* If you're in here, I'll fish you out.. "other".. :)

Hello. I'm writing from WI. I'm 29 years old, and a mother of 2.

Yow! 2 kids? Guess who's the smartest person in the room, Mom!

Well: bring coffee, make comments as inspired & appropriate, and, um ordinarily I'd say read, but you may be otherwise engaged.

Did I mention that I envy you? Or was it admire? I forget.

You might throw a hook in the water over at Facebook, too.

(ditto softwareNerd)