Objectivism Online Forum

The Steve Pavlina forums are Anti-Intellectual

Rate this topic

I have been a member of the Steve Pavlina forums since they opened a couple of years ago. At first it had some good discussions regarding personal development, productivity, time management etc...

However nowadays it is a sort of breeding ground for the most intellectually dishonest, and perversely self righteous people you've ever seen. I was actually banned for saying someone was wrong - because apparently that's trolling.

It actually made me laugh when I found out I was banned - I guess thats what you get for having an opinion these days.

I liked pavlina's work and the people who were attracted to it. But then Steve started talking to crickets to shut up (and they listened), getting his dead friends ghost to help him win at the black jack table, and apparently animal spirit guides can tell te future, or whatever.

So I'm no longer following his work. I'm not a fan of the direction he's going and the people he's attracting now.

Edited by DerekN

I had just heard of this guy when I opened this thread and then I checked out his website. Holy crap! It's like a treasure trove of inspirational writings. Even if the guy is a crack pot now his earlier writings are fantastic! If what you say is true, it's a shame.

I have been a member of the Steve Pavlina forums since they opened a couple of years ago. At first it had some good discussions regarding personal development, productivity, time management etc...

However nowadays it is a sort of breeding ground for the most intellectually dishonest, and perversely self righteous people you've ever seen. I was actually banned for saying someone was wrong - because apparently that's trolling.

It actually made me laugh when I found out I was banned - I guess thats what you get for having an opinion these days.

If I tell you that Ayn Rand was not a communist, and you tell me I'm wrong, you're gonna get banned from here too. Just for saying I'm wrong. So telling someone he's wrong can be trolling, depending on what he said.

Why do you think getting banned for some unspecified comment, from a website with an unspecified subject matter that's supposedly intellectually dishonest for some unspecified reason, is important information, worth sharing here? How is this connected to Ayn Rand's philosophy?

Also, what's the subject of this thread? What's your question?

If I tell you that Ayn Rand was not a communist, and you tell me I'm wrong, you're gonna get banned from here too. Just for saying I'm wrong. So telling someone he's wrong can be trolling, depending on what he said.

Why do you think getting banned for some unspecified comment, from a website with an unspecified subject matter that's supposedly intellectually dishonest for some unspecified reason, is important information, worth sharing here? How is this connected to Ayn Rand's philosophy?

Also, what's the subject of this thread? What's your question?

Well it's merely pointing out the state of things. It's not so much a question a a statement.