Objectivism Online Forum

The Brave One - What of revenge?

Rate this topic

Apologies is this movie has been discussed - it didn't show up in a search.

I'm curious what Objectivists would have to say about Jodie Foster's character's journey in this movie.

I think two of her violent engagements are clear self-defense (the convenience store and the pimp in the car). But what about her final revenge on the three thugs who killed her fiance? Is revenge ever justified? It clearly wasn't self defense, but she did not initiate the violence. I have to admit that on a strictly emotional level I found her final revenge satisfying and justifiable. Is that wrong?

Bob

I remember thinking the movie was worth watching, but then I'm a bit biased when it comes to Jodie Foster.

Revenge/justice is satisfying, even if -- in the fuller context -- one would leave it up to the law to execute it. I don't remember the details of the final encounter; would those guys have got justice if not for her?

I remember thinking the movie was worth watching, but then I'm a bit biased when it comes to Jodie Foster.

Revenge/justice is satisfying, even if -- in the fuller context -- one would leave it up to the law to execute it. I don't remember the details of the final encounter; would those guys have got justice if not for her?

The police found one of the killers through a ring they stole which ended up in a pawn shop. Rather than identifying the criminal in a police line-up, Jodie's character lied. Then she found the pawn shop on her own and exacted her own justice. So, in answer to your question, we can assume that had she identified the criminal in the lineup the usual arrest and trial would have been the result.