Objectivism Online Forum

Quentin Tarantino's Top 20 Movies Since 1992

Rate this topic

Fenriz

Thought this was kind of interesting.

Quentin Tarantino chooses his top twenty favorite movies since he started as a film director in 1992.

He doesn't quite have an order, but he does declare that the Japanese horror thriller Battle Royale as his number #1 choice. I agree with what he has to say about The Matrix, and he has a few interesting things to say about the M. Night Shyamalan film Unbreakable. And I have to admit Boogie Nights is one of my favorite films.

Quentin Tarantino's Top 20 Movies Since 1992

I was very surprized at the many movies I consider great that he left out. But he has seen and studied far more movies than I have, and from a wider group (not just Hollywood and European movies, which is what I watch for the most part) and he's ptobably looking at which movies were the most innovative.

So I can't disgree with him, there probably are reasons (contained in those many older or foreign movies I've never seen) why he discarded a bunch of 90's movies I was amazed by, and a few from this decade. I guess now I'm also beginning to not be impressed by a lot of the movies someone who just started their movie watching would be fascinated by.

The one thing I'm not surprized by is that he ignored most Oscar winners and Oscar nominated movies. Those are, with the odd exception, not great at all. They're often average at best.

Well, on that list I've seen "The Matrix", and none of the others, so I really can't judge his list. I just can't keep up, even with a NetFlix account. :P

I did see Sin City last night, which was great in some ways and off putting in other ways. For me the best movie since 1992 is Gladiator.

Edited by Thales

Well, on that list I've seen "The Matrix", and none of the others, so I really can't judge his list. I just can't keep up, even with a NetFlix account. :P

Consider the source. I'm sure Tarantino knows a great dela about movies. That doesn't mean he has any taste in movies; in fact given his own productions, I'd claim he has bad taste in movies. Even if he had good taste, it's just his opinion. Gather 100 moviemakers and you'll get a hundred different lists of movies.

I tried to enjoy Gladiator, I really did, but there were two things that killed the joy of the movie for me:

1) The history. Oh boy the history. I did realize it was fiction, but the whole bit of Marcus Aurelius being murdered by Commodus , etcetera, jarred a little.

2) Our Lady Of Soundtrack Sorrow. I don't know who thought it a good idea to have this unknown woman wailing in vaguely Balkan-ish keening, but after six billion movies of her wailing her tonsils out every time someone dies (in slow motion, too) or every time someone remembers someone who is dead... I've gotten pretty tired of her. Seeing how Gladiator is the movie that started Our Lady Of Soundtrack Sorrow on her way to stardom, I have a bit of an axe to grind :P*

* Though admittedly Gladiator was the first movie to use Our Lady as a backup singer, TV land had her wailing away a few years earlier during the 'Xena' episodes whenever someone died that mattered to the warrior princess: A pyre scene would be obligatory and Xena would 'treat' the ears of all nearby mourners with her own version of Our Lady Of Soundtrack Sorrow's number one hit.

I don't know if I would list "Unbreakable" as a top 20 movie in general. Perhaps as a genre film.

I wouldn't put Unbreakable in my own top 20, but I still think it's a good and very underrated film.

I'm inclined to agree with Tarantino that Bruce Willis's performance in that film is one of the best, if not the best, of his career.

Oh, and kainscalia, Thales meant the 1992 film Gladiator, which was an urban street drama about the underworld of boxing, not to be confused with the 2000 film Gladiator, the Roman epic starring Russell Crowe.

1992 Trailer for "Gladiator"

*edit: Oh wait a second, maybe Thales did mean the Roman epic. My bad! :D

Edited by Fenriz