Objectivism Online Forum

Scuba diver

Rate this topic

Yay, last week I finally got my open-water recreational scuba-diver's ticket (under FAUI, not PADI). For the time being I am rated to down to 18m/60ft. Obviously this wont be of much use at OCON in Las Vegas, but Fort Lauderdale will be another story! It would have been nice to have had this at Newport Beach last year, though.

I did get to see the Whyalla cuttlefish aggregations at their height earlier this year, and got to be surrouned by tens of thousands of juvenile (only 50cm long) kingfish in a fishfarm pen, which were awesome. No photos yet, though.

JJM

Yay, last week I finally got my open-water recreational scuba-diver's ticket (under FAUI, not PADI). For the time being I am rated to down to 18m/60ft. Obviously this wont be of much use at OCON in Las Vegas, but Fort Lauderdale will be another story!

There's Lake Mead near vegas. I don't suppose they let people dive at the shark reef at Mandalay Bay, though.

Congratulations, John!

My wife and I love scuba diving, but we rarely get to go (as in about for one vacation every few years). We would love to dive down under someday.

My first tadpole was certified when he was 10, and my second tadpole, who is now 10, is taking her classes now and will take her open water test at a lake about a week from now. I am sure my third tadpole will do the same when she turns 10. We will try to go back to Grand Cayman for our next trip, possibly on a live-aboard dive boat. You should join us!

My wife and I went scuba in Florida on the Atlantic side, but were not very impressed. We did go on a night dive and saw lots of lobster marching in a line on a mission to somewhere. I think it was a war party. I also learned on that dive that I could puke my guts out at 80 feet--but I think you have to be PADI certified for that particular maneuver. :D

-- OT