Objectivism Online Forum

Ted Kennedy is Dead

Rate this topic

Capitalism Forever

Let’s see if we can find something nice to say about Edward Kennedy now he’s dead.

No, can’t think of anything.

"The problems of our economy have occurred not as an outgrowth of laissez-faire, unbridled competition. They have occurred under the guidance of federal agencies, and under the umbrella of federal regulations."

From http://blog.american.com/?p=4328

So there's ONE thing. He was right, once. (Of course, I'm sure he just did that for the unions.) :(

I'm not American and don't know much about this Kennedy guy but what kind of obituaries they wright for him!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/melissa-lafs...t_b_270298.html

What Mary Jo Kopechne would have had to say about Ted's death, and what she'd have thought of the life and career that are being (rightfully) heralded.

Who knows -- maybe she'd feel it was worth it.

And here is more:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/2...ard-kennedy-usa

Yet if one weighs the life of a single young woman against the accomplishments of the man President Obama has called the greatest Democratic senator in history, what is one to think?

<...>

This paradox lies at the heart of so much of public life: individuals of dubious character and cruel deeds may redeem themselves in selfless actions. Fidelity to a personal code of morality would seem to fade in significance as the public sphere, like an enormous sun, blinds us to all else.

Toohey could take the last phrase pretty well. Honestly, I'm shocked. I don't read much of political press - is it some anomaly or the state of public mind in the UK and America is that bad?

You are watching the left wing media. The left will forgive anything of a fellow leftist.

God help you, however, if you are a non leftist of any stripe and even do something as minor as making a comment that could be *remotely* construed as racist. (BTW leftists get away with that all the time.) That's far worse than anything even alleged about Kennedy at Chappaquiddick, or the actual perjury committed by a sitting president.

I LIVE in Taxachusetts, and I actually know people who went to his wake! One person said, "I waited in line for only 3 1/2 hours." All I could think of is, well, that's 3 1/2 hours of your life that you'll never get back....

I once saw a bumper sticker that said, "my gun has killed fewer people than Ted Kennedy's car." :(

Edited by Tabitha

God help you, however, if you are a non leftist of any stripe and even do something as minor as making a comment that could be *remotely* construed as racist. (BTW leftists get away with that all the time.) That's far worse than anything even alleged about Kennedy at Chappaquiddick, or the actual perjury committed by a sitting president.

Come on. It's not like killing a woman or lying to a court actually offended any group of people. :(

• 4 months later...

Ted Kennedy died in August, but he was finally buried in January. Scott Brown won the Senate seat in Massachusetts 52 percent to 47 percent. What this means is that the Independent voters of Massachusetts have had it up to their nostrils with Lord Obama and his cronies. The only way a Republican can win in Massachusetts is for the Independents to vote him in. Lord Obama not only has egg on his face, he has sh*t on his face. Good!

Bob Kolker

What great news! What great irony!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/20/us/polit...l?th&emc=th

John Link

There could be no more fitting tribute to the wasted life of Ted Kennedy than the following from the NY Times article:

The election left Democrats in Congress scrambling to salvage a bill overhauling the nation’s health care system, which the late Mr. Kennedy had called “the cause of my life.” Mr. Brown has vowed to oppose the bill, and once he takes office the Democrats will no longer control the 60 votes in the Senate needed to overcome filibusters.

There were immediate signs that the bill had become imperiled. House members indicated they would not quickly pass the bill the Senate approved last month.

I wonder, do dead Kennedys spin in their graves?