Objectivism Online Forum

One of the most disgusting pieces of literary trash ever written.

Rate this topic

LandonWalsh

This was written in 2007 at NorthArk. I was so sick reading this. I'm posting this to show everyone that YES I am wrong sometimes, however I correct my mistakes. The fact that I made this obvious of a mistake, this big of a mistake is so shocking to me. It really makes me understand how destructive the altruist philosophy is to the mind. Furthermore, this proves the mindset of the altruist that so many collectivist deny when talking about their portrayal in Atlas Shrugged.

Also a good example of why Ayn Rand hated libertarians.

"Corey Landon Walsh

Dr. Terrill's class

Individualism in a Democracy

There is much to be said for individualism. It is an ideal that has a colossal impact on the human condition. It stresses human independence and the importance of individual self-reliance and liberty. If people did not care for themselves, there would be no need for freedom. Choice would be an unpopular idea, and submission a blessing. However, the fact that individuality stresses liberty is undoubtedly a paradox, since it is individuality that prevents the success of liberty in a democracy. The philosophy of liberty is based on the principle of self-ownership, and free choice, while individualism is based on self-interest. Although, it isn't individualism that destroys democratic nations, but the selfishness created through individualism that, separates man from his fellow countryman, Isolates him into groups, and imposes laws that benefit self; eventually tearing apart the fabric of liberty and destroying everything democracies stand for.

;)

It is egoism that first puts an emphasis on "self". It not only makes "every man forget his ancestors, but it hides his descendants and separates his contemporaries from him."(P462) And in dismissing his brother, his father and his children, he loses purpose for himself and concern for any other. Soon man's selfishness makes him forget that he does not have claim on another man's life, liberty or property. Nor is he in the position to use a group to impose on any other man or group. But it is this fear of man's fellow man, and his unnatural ability to impose and enslave, that forces people to think even more of themselves, and to cower in fear of his fellow man.

Although, the individual may be an important part of a democratic society, the lone man can hardly change things for himself, by himself. Often an ideal is expressed that caters to a select few individuals. The group then separates itself from the whole society, taking in some and alienating others. Priorities shift very quickly, and soon being human doesn't matter, nor does being an American, or being free. The goal of the democracy is to give equal choice and opportunity, but the goal of the individual groups within the democracy is to acquire benefits for the group only. And when everyone in the democracy is separate, everyone in the democracy can be exploited.

The groups bring these problems on themselves. They lobby to restrict business, personal prosperity, free speech, and freedom of choice, many times in the name of security or personal beliefs. These groups elect officials from their group, ignoring candidates from other groups based on their principle instead of talents. Group-think keeps people from thinking freely and laws are enacted that slowly enslave all countrymen, no matter what group. Furthermore, the group separation of a democratic nation and the group-think caused from it allows for the population to be tactically exploited. "Divide and conquer" Politicians use this to win elections in the democracy. They cater to the group ideals, and the people fall for it. When tragic events occur, the selfishness and need for security is exploited to give politicians more power and the individual less liberty.

Unfortunately, this is the inevitable course of things. Selfishness isolates, confines, controls, and conquers men. It turns him against one another, and corrupts liberty. And even though it would seem that liberty and individualism were related. It is a kinship that unequivocally ends with individualism being the most dangerous enemy to freedom. So no longer is the democratic nation a nation of liberty, but a nation of individuals all fighting for their selfish needs."

:dough: :dough: :dough: :dough: :dough:

:( ...I see, this is why we target the universities.

It took intellectual honesty on your part to correct these errors (no matter how obvious they seem now) and for that- Kudos!

Two years prior to the writing of that essay I was a supporter of communism. So I feel as if I have inside information on the intellectual thoughts of each group. It lets me know how right Rand was. Btw, this was written in Comp 1 and it was a very conservative teacher that had us write these essays after reading Tocqueville.

Now I am going to UofA in Arkansas and will be getting my doctorate in Philosophy. Hopefully will be teaching it in 4 years as well. If the economy is still in one peice by then I want to start my own private school system (K-12) that focuses on the Objectivist philosophy. I not only think that the objectivist philosophy is the only to live life, but I think that the principles in that philosophy will make them better students and better achievers than can be seen anywhere in the world.

The title of this topic is supposed to say "One of the most disgusting pieces of literary trash ever written. Was Written by ME!!!"

Edited by LandonWalsh

Right, and it is one of the contradictions in the original piece. It sees group-think as a manifestation of individualism.

Yes. It's actually because people don't think individualism is moral and that their ideas are only valid if they are a "greater good" that they group and want to enforce their ideas through the government.

Yes. It's actually because people don't think individualism is moral and that their ideas are only valid if they are a "greater good" that they group and want to enforce their ideas through the government.

Actually, from personal experience. It is more of just simple evasion of critical questions. I never asked what the relationship was between the two. I never thought of collectivism. In fact I first started to get worried the idea of collectivism after hearing so many libertarians mention it. I don't think at that point in time I EVER asked myself what the opposite of individualism.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, from personal experience. It is more of just simple evasion of critical questions. I never asked what the relationship was between the two. I never thought of collectivism. In fact I first started to get worried the idea of collectivism after hearing so many libertarians mention it. I don't think at that point in time I EVER asked myself what the opposite of individualism.

We all make mistakes. I gave $600 to Ron Paul the same year, and really wish I could have it back now.