Objectivism Online Forum

Worse than Obamacare.

Rate this topic

I don't care WHAT kind of emergency it is, forcing the private sector to cut off people's internet is WRONG. It would ease our nation's transition into a bunch of Nazis if it isn't stopped.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10320096-38.html

I am spreading this news anywhere I can, so I won't have much time to make my post look sophisticated, so a couple of lines for this post are going to have to do. So please read the article. It may be the last article you ever read!

My E-mail is [email protected] and I would like to do whatever I can to spread the news. I am organizing a pro-internet freedom group in Monterey California because of this bill. Anyone else live nearby?

Edited by TuringAI

During times of actual emergency, such as a full on cyber terrorist attack, I would say this wouldn't be completely unthinkable. However, as Bush has showed us, "emergency" can extend an awful long while.

Why wouldn't it be completely unthinkable? The government telling private industry what to do with their property - that sounds like a pretty unthinkable thing to do to me.

Why wouldn't it be completely unthinkable? The government telling private industry what to do with their property - that sounds like a pretty unthinkable thing to do to me.

The government may properly use force to defend individual rights. If the threat is great enough, the government may properly use force against private industry to secure the Internet, because a cyber attack on the United States may cause massive damage and loss of life.

This use of force would be similar to tanks rolling over someone's yard in Florida, if that is the only way to get those tanks in position when Cuba finally invades:) And yes, the likelihood of this becoming necessary is about the same as Cuba invading, so I agree with the OP, this is more likely an attempt at censorship and nationalization, in the event of an economic crisis. But your idea that the government may never use force against a private entity in the course of its actions to defend individual rights, is not the Objectivist position.

Edited by Jake_Ellison