Objectivism Online Forum

What is the antonym of judgment?

Rate this topic

Amitai Ring

I am attempting to Identify and define archetypes of human beings. During this process I've realized that one archetype's main attribute is negation of judgment as such.

I know there might be correlation between judgment and reason, yet the faculty of reason encompasses numerous fields and it is specifically the action of judgment that is avoided.

Therefore, to define this archetype I would like to know what is the antonym of judgment?

Therefore, to define this archetype I would like to know what is the antonym of judgment?
On what scale? "Judgment" is the intersection of the endpoints of a number of dimensions of conceptual classification. I would suggest "evasion" as being most unlike "judgment" but still relevant ("pie" is even less like "judgment", but it's not conceptually relevant).

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was considering lately: negation. As it is the negation to think, judge and act that characterize this kind of people the most.

Their refusal to accept any form of good or value, by effect, they reward all that is negative and punish all values and goods. In that sense it is indeed very close to evasion.

It is easy to judge that the negation-worshipers are more evil than the zero-worshipers.

I am attempting to Identify and define archetypes of human beings. During this process I've realized that one archetype's main attribute is negation of judgment as such.

I know there might be correlation between judgment and reason, yet the faculty of reason encompasses numerous fields and it is specifically the action of judgment that is avoided.

Isn't being "non-judgmental" the obvious answer?

I was thinking along the lines of "indiscriminate", but of course that is not a positive definition. Every synonym in the thesaurus references not thinking, e.g. "unconscious, thoughtless, undiscerning, unreasoning, unperceiving".

Now, judgment is supposed to be an act, so the opposite of that is to not judge. Why aren't you judging? Maybe you lack the faculty to judge - e.g. you're a plant - in which case something along the lines of unconsciousness would be correct (though not necessarily that word). Or maybe you have the faculty to judge, but either choose not to use it in a specific case where you know judgment is possible (evasion), or are totally unaware that judgment is possible in that case (something implying ignorance/obliviousness/indifference would be good here).

Edited by brian0918

How about "forbearance" ?

That is technically a negative definition - the negation coming from the "for" prefix.

For that matter, so is evasion, although it's much easier to picture someone seeing a situation where they could make judgment, and choosing not to - ie, evasion/forbearance.

Edited by brian0918

Well, yes; that is very technical,-- and a long way off the stock negative prefixes of 'NON- or 'IN-', or 'UN-'.

Don't you think ?

Alright, so I think how this whole "avoiding a negative definition" thing is important is this - if the definition hinges on its opposite, e.g. the definition of atheism as simply "the lack of a belief in god" or "ignorance on the topic of god", then that should be avoided. If however the definition stands on its own, e.g. atheism as "the belief that there is no god" or "the willful rejection of belief in god", then that is fine. So evasion/forbearance is fine because it is an act in its own right, whereas other words that simply mean "lack of judgment" do not stand on their own.

Edited by brian0918

My least favorite antonym for judgment is "nullification." Thanks, OJ.

Apathy implies a passive lack of consideration for an issue.

Evasion implies an active unwillingness to even consider the issue to be judged.

Equivocation implies inability to come to a judgment as an issue is considered.

Tergiversation implies inability to stand firmly on a (single) judgment of an issue. (Merci, Roget)

on edit: I believe "forbearance" implies a considered decision not to offer a judgment. It does not necessarily imply the lack of judgment.

OFE: I believe each of these addresses a different facet of what we consider the process of judgment: Concern, consideration, decision, articulation, and persistence.

Edited by agrippa1

My least favorite antonym for judgment is "nullification." Thanks, OJ.

Apathy implies a passive lack of consideration for an issue.

Evasion implies an active unwillingness to even consider the issue to be judged.

Equivocation implies inability to come to a judgment as an issue is considered.

Tergiversation implies inability to stand firmly on a (single) judgment of an issue. (Merci, Roget)

on edit: I believe "forbearance" implies a considered decision not to offer a judgment. It does not necessarily imply the lack of judgment.

So is your post an example of tergiversating or equivocating, or both? ;)