Objectivism Online Forum

eRepublik Game:

Rate this topic

Zip

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I've been doing. I fight in the ubiquitous US- Russia wars every day and it really does help. Nothing wrong with helping to defend a freer country vs a vile dictatorship, is there? :)

How armed should one be going into battle? Sold .5 of gold, looking to buy some toys. :)

Well, weapons make you deal more damage, but you use them. So it gets pretty expensive fast. If anything, I'd maybe buy a Q1 weapon just so you get that initial boost and you deal more damage, because that does allow you to rise in rank faster. Weapons are important later on when you're fighting for real, though, but not really at first when you're just doing it for practice :)

There's a party election tomorrow. There's no opposition to the incumbent right now.

He won with 23 votes last time. If we get someone in the race and all vote we could take over the party.

Tuesday, isn't it, the 15th?

Yeah, a redirection of the party and the country would be good.

I think with several of us joining the party, the numbers have gone up. Seat of the pants, it looks like about 50% of the party members voted last time. So, getting us and others for a total of around 18+ might be enough to win the election.

Must be level 13 to run.

Maarten, you up for it? Might want to mobilize sooner rather than later.

I'm in. Maarten has my vote if he runs. Do you need a donation for your candidacy?

Or should we wait until our victory is assured. A lot of the O'ists are going to be level 8 the next time the elections are held.

A lot of the O'ists are going to be level 8 the next time the elections are held.

Does one need to be level 8 to vote in the party stuff? I know one needs to be level 7 to be in a party.

Personally, I did a couple of battles, and that pushed me into level 8 today. Got excited and did a couple battles without weapons. Good for experience, but...I learned the hard way. Duh... :)

7 or 8 I'm not sure, anyway the point is that we only have about 5 people in the party as it is right now. I have 23 friends on my list if all of them were members of the party we would have a plurality of members and possibly a majority of voters which would/should assure our candidate a seat in the congress.

I'm still not sure that Norway is the place we want to be permanently but if we can attract enough like minded persons through politics and shouts and newspapers then we might be able to make a go of it.

I suggest that we start using one shout a day to "Everyone" to draw in more citizens and free marketeers. I think trying to establish a free market might get more people that identify as "libertarians", though there might be the occasional Objectivist out there as well.

Edited by Zip

I'm quickly seeing that this game is very superficial.
This is the first such game that I checked out, so i don;t know how sophisticated they get. From an experience -- decades ago -- for working with a "management simulation game" I know it is pretty tough to make them realistic. I assume that the folks who write these games keep making the rules more sophisticated as each version is released. Are there more realistic ones that you've seen? I'm just curious about the types of programs out there.

What did you learn?
I'm guessing he learnt that in this game if you choose to fight you lose 10 wellness points, and you also permanently lose your weapon (which costs "money"). The loss of wellness affects your ability to earn more money. Edited by softwareNerd

If you read the wiki for the Gold Party (translation of the Gullpartiet) you can see that they're sort of nationalists. They want to regulate trade to 'give Norwegian companies an advantage.' Maybe we can change their mind on this, but I don't know what else they might stand for. The wiki for the Technocratic party that is currently in power doesn't mention much about its ideology.

The wiki for the Technocratic party that is currently in power doesn't mention much about its ideology.

They might as well as be the actual technocrats. If that is the case, they want to charge the ones who have the best understanding of the game mechanics in charge. I don't see anything dangerous about it, though.

I just got to level 5 yesterday so I can start fighting now. I look at some of the battlefields and was confused about how they work. The profiles on both sides were rotating like slot machines? How exactly does this work? If I join a fight does my profile enter into that rotation? If so how many times do I go around? Can I get out when I want to or am I stuck there for a certain amount of time.

Also, the comments on this post are confusing me about the health situation. Many are complaining that the battle depletes your health and reduces your ability to earn, but other comments say a battle is the best way to get health because of the free hospital use. So is fighting good or bad for your overall health?

Sorry about bombarding you guys with questions, I tried looking them up on the wiki but they did not address my questions.

I just got to level 5 yesterday so I can start fighting now. I look at some of the battlefields and was confused about how they work. The profiles on both sides were rotating like slot machines? How exactly does this work? If I join a fight does my profile enter into that rotation? If so how many times do I go around? Can I get out when I want to or am I stuck there for a certain amount of time.

Also, the comments on this post are confusing me about the health situation. Many are complaining that the battle depletes your health and reduces your ability to earn, but other comments say a battle is the best way to get health because of the free hospital use. So is fighting good or bad for your overall health?

Sorry about bombarding you guys with questions, I tried looking them up on the wiki but they did not address my questions.

one fight a day is definitely good. you loose 10 wellnesspoints, but can once a day get 30 back at the hospital. whether it's good to participate in more than one or how exatly it works I cannot tell yet...

Basically it is a balancing game. You fight and it immediately tells you your results for the battle. Your rank, strength and quality of weapon determine how much damage you do. I am not certain on the slot machine rotation thing, but I think it is basically luck of the draw on who you end up fighting. I speculate that if you are unlucky you could end up getting hurt pretty bad (in terms of damage). I do not know what the difference between damage and wellness is.

Either way, in my experience you typically lose about 10 to 15 wellness per fight, and you can't even fight if you are below 40 wellness. They idea is to fight in a battle and then use the hospital to increase your wellness beyond where it was.

Example: You have 45 wellness, you fight in the USA vs. Russian war in the Alabama battle. There is a quality 3 hospital. You fight and lose 10 wellness, you are now down to 35 wellness. You click "go back to battlefield" and there will be a "use hospital button". Since it is a quality 3 hospital, you will get 30 wellness, so now you are at 65 wellness.

For this reason it is generally best to avoid fighting multiple times per day unless you know that you can make your way back up to fighting condition for the next day (via food).

Juxtys and I bought gifts and traded several with one another in generally equal amounts. This helped us heal back up for the next day. So I think eventually we should have professional soldiers that fight, train, and buy gifts of equal value for one another and then trade 1 for 1 to help heal each other up into fighting form.

It seems there are even organizations in the game that gather in IRC channels and organize their strikes in mass. For instance, read the site's wiki on the eUS Marine Corps. They are all general rank, 14 strength and attack at once. Pretty cool. :lol:

This is the first such game that I checked out, so i don;t know how sophisticated they get. From an experience -- decades ago -- for working with a "management simulation game" I know it is pretty tough to make them realistic. I assume that the folks who write these games keep making the rules more sophisticated as each version is released. Are there more realistic ones that you've seen? I'm just curious about the types of programs out there.

Well, I really like geo-fiction and am involved in this which has it's advantages, basically you play every aspect of your fictional nation and interact with the other players through stories and diplomacy. You create the culture, you establish the government, write the constitution, create alliances, conflicts everything...

The drawback is that there is no way to quantify what you do. If you have a widget factory in Aurora, there is no realism in the viability of it. Your company does as well or as poorly as you want it to. We do try to keep it realistic, but there is a tendency toward success. We have a set of resources for each area and the players try to develop those things as their strongest commodities but there is always some exaggeration (I find)

Now if there were some way to incorporate the two styles of game together I think you could really have a winner... Of course there are things like WOW and Second Life but I'm not really all that interested in spending real world money to get ahead in a game, as seems to be the motive for the people that produce these large role playing games.

Maybe if there were some sort of simulation incorporated into the Geo-fiction game, so that if a player wants to he can create his nation, but also have both real life players and simulated citizens who would "live" in the country create business, develop cities and all the rest. The computer citizens (simuzens? replicants? :lol: ) the overwhelming majority in any nation one would assume would provide a baseline of how well the country is doing. They would also be consumers for the player businessmen/producers and citizens for the player politician.

This is sounding really really complex and I have no practical experience in how hard it would be but I'm chock full of ideas if anyone needs them. Hell I offer to be a test dummy if anyone needs one. :D

Yeah, I agree that the gameplay in this game is very simplistic, and it is also heavily weighted towards warfare and quantity of players. There is basically no way a country could defend itself against a huge nation; which is also true in our world, but in our world there's not this constant war going on :lol:

I played another game where you play a party in a country and you get to propose laws and debate things, and depending on how active you are and how much the voters like you, you get more seats. It is pretty fun, but the laws don't actually do anything as far as I can tell; I managed to get my country to deregulate almost everything but because there was no way to participate in the economy there was not much point to play after that =P

It would have been a lot nicer if you would actually see the result of these policies; i.e. if your taxes are lower there is more economic activity and all that. I am not sure if there is an online game that has that. The economy in EVE online is fairly free-market, but that is a completely different type of game. It is fun, though! But it requires such an investment of time (not necessarily in-game time, mostly just waiting time for training) that I don't know how many would be interested in doing that. It took me months to a year before I could do a lot of things fairly well.