Objectivism Online Forum

eRepublik Game:

Rate this topic

Zip

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, one thing that is really interesting to note is how few people vote.... That means that a group like ours with very high turnout can definitely achieve things... Next time if more of you can be candidates we could probably spread votes around enough so that we get several people into congress!

Also, I think it might be better to have our own party in the longer run. I have about 14-15 gold sitting around, and we need 40 to do that. I guess the main question is whether enough people want to stay there to make it worth doing that, because you can't move parties around. What do you guys think?

Edited by Maarten

This will seem contextually odd (context omission), but there are two reasons why Norway keeps messing with Russia (Russ K asked...). First, there is an alliance between the US and Norway, and Russia has been persistently attacking the US -- it follows, as allies, that we must come to their aid. Second, Russia attacked Norwegian territory, viz. Nord-Norge, although at the time it was occupied by Finland. This is your classic good v. evil struggle.

And in other news... congratulations to Maarten for his spectacular win.

I was away for the weekend when the Russia attack happened. Either way, I had no idea that Nord-Norge--maybe the name should be a tip--is supposed to be a part of Norway :confused:. Thanks for the info. It looks like it would be a good place to re-capture: they have medium level wood resources.

I still have a concern though about Russia attacking the other Norwegian regions, and destroying them. http://www.erepublik.com/en/wars/show/564 --Summery of the recent Nord-Norge conflict. That information is not good for Norway, if Russia decides to attack. If I was Russia, I would attack Norway, easily destroy its hospitals, and be done with it. That would weaken our minuscule support of the U.S. quite a lot.

I'm all for fighting the Russian horde, but I want to keep doing it on American soil :)

*edit. Just noticed that the link doesn't follow to the intended information, but one has to instead click the 'details' button

Edited by RussK

There has been talk of starting a new party, which of course is a good idea. I'm wondering if it would be possible to just take over a smaller party and save the much needed gold--I myself only have just over six gold, and it's tied up in different currencies. For example, Strong Scandinavia is a small party, with 15 members. If we joined that, we would take control, and in the future control two seats or more. Joining the 15 in the party already will add to the party's participation in the government, correct?

*edit: obviously we can muster more than 15 votes, just look at Maarten's landslide victory :confused: In addition, it's likely that there will be split votes amongst the existing 15 members, but no splits amongst us.

Edited by RussK

After playing this game for a few weeks now, the one thing I still don't get is the "object". Most games have some object: score goals, trap the king, gather more points, reach level-10, etc. Not sure what the object of this game is?

Not sure what the object of this game is?
That's a problem. One answer is, to figure out the system. Another might be to enslave the world -- I have a feeling that there are a number of people like that there. A third might be to avoid getting a life, but I won't go there. I have this lurking suspicion that someone behind the scenes plans to mine some of the data for a dissertation.

Goal 1: acquire maximum gold. Goal 2: maximize experience points. Goal 3: gain rank (military or experience level). Goal 4: gain political power. What I find annoying about the metaphysics of that universe is that initiation of force is strongly rewarded.

Goal 1: acquire maximum gold. Goal 2: maximize experience points. Goal 3: gain rank (military or experience level). Goal 4: gain political power. What I find annoying about the metaphysics of that universe is that initiation of force is strongly rewarded.
I guess the initiation of force is rewarded if one sees the acquisition of political power as an objective. On the other hand, suppose someone sees maximizing gold as their objective, wouldn't they not care what wars were going on? I probably don't know the game well enough, but right now it appears that one has no incentive to defend one's country. If one does not lose any type of points when an invader takes over, then what's there to lose? The region loses a hospital, but that would be moot if one already has decent wellness and does not fight anyway. The only real negative effect I can think of would be a change in the tax regime that might affect one's wealth.

I've not really hung out in the forums there, but from a brief visit it appears that many of the folks fighting the U.S. in the game are doing so because they think it's fun to fight the U.S., not because it fulfills some strategic advantage. Maybe that's the whole point of this game; maybe it is more like when kids play some pretend war game where nobody really wins and the real object is the playing itself (i.e. enjoying and enacting the fantasy). In other words, maybe I'm just too old for this :confused:

Edited by softwareNerd

What the hell!

Apparently Sweden took over Vestlandet in the middle of the night in just a few hours! I thought that couldn't happen and they had to wait for a 24 hour seize window. My savings have been wiped out and even though I'm in the same region as my company I went to work and wasn't paid. What the hell is going on? After this I'm seriously considering dropping the game.

What the hell!

Apparently Sweden took over Vestlandet in the middle of the night in just a few hours! I thought that couldn't happen and they had to wait for a 24 hour seize window. My savings have been wiped out and even though I'm in the same region as my company I went to work and wasn't paid. What the hell is going on? After this I'm seriously considering dropping the game.

check your NOK account. Because the swedes took over your account automatically show up as Swede bucks, not crowns.

I had the same problem.

check your NOK account. Because the swedes took over your account automatically show up as Swede bucks, not crowns.

I had the same problem.

Oh, ok I see it now. I have been carefully saving for over three weeks now, if I had lost that money I would have been pissed.

I still don't see how they took the region so fast. Especially when the site was down for a long period after midnight.

Edited by Rearden_Steel

Apparently this take over has been planned all along.

English version:

This is the official state newspaper where battle orders and government announcements are presented. Current orders are to fight in Sorlandet, the region has to be won at all costs. Finland and Norway have agreed that Finland takes the remaining Norwegian regions in custody to wipe Norway off the map, thus deleting all Norway's open wars and triggered MPPs. After the operation is complete, Norway will be returned to the world map, free of the Russian threat. Everyone is asked to fight in Sorlandet to the best of their ability, both today and tomorrow.

I think it's time we started over somewhere else. I would like to find a Far right Libertarian country or persuade the game creators to open up a new country for us.

Either way I have to get out of Russia, no hospital here and even if there were I wouldn't fight for them...

Far East Russia has a 5-star hospital. Even though the wages are not too high, they aren't too bad either. The advantage of being in a place with a 5-star hospital is that one can fight multiple times and still get back 50 points of wellness every day, thus staying at over 90% wellness very easily, and thus being more productive.

Far East Russia has a 5-star hospital. Even though the wages are not too high, they aren't too bad either. The advantage of being in a place with a 5-star hospital is that one can fight multiple times and still get back 50 points of wellness every day, thus staying at over 90% wellness very easily, and thus being more productive.
The catch is that Russia would have to be actively involved in a war, and you'd have to be willing to fight for Russia. Well, the loophole is when there is a resistance war within Russia -- and right now there is a resistance war in a North Korean province (Ryanggang) that Russia took over. You can fight for either side. That way you can pick up a bunch of points, damage and wellness every day and still not help evil.

Yes, the game makes it a good strategy to have some war going on, and to have a 5-star hospital while that's happening. One can fight multiple times, growing in strength, and also keep wellness topped up for max. productivity. Is Russia evil in that game?

Is Russia evil in that game?
It's hard to tell -- it seems to be hell-bent on world domination. The metaphysics of the game encourages that. If / when the current invasion has been undone, I think we should focus on basic educational politics. The Objective Republic needs to come out more frequently, with letters to the editor.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple of suggestions for discussion. First, I'm not sure if the Capitalist Party can get under way for the upcoming elections, but if so and especially if Maarten needs a party (hint), we can get at least someone elected. Send your contributions to Zip!

Second, I think we should work on regularly (weekly?) having a newspaper article. I thought of starting a paper -- Verklighetens Ukeblad ("Reality Weekly"), but I got stuck looking for an appropriate icon. Maybe we can simply dust off The Objective Republic, and start sending materials there. But we need to find a way to not make this be a burden on Zip (who, as proprietor, could pass on technical clues about how articles get posted). I think that there will be a lot of noise for the next few days, what with election and party rhetoric flying. What's more important, IMO, is the post-electoral silent period, when we could actually engage issues.

If you wish to contribute an article to the Objective Republic just send me a PM here and I'll post it, please include your eRepublic name so it can be properly attributed to you. That shouldn't be a big deal. As for formatting, again, no biggie... except there is very limited functionality with pictures so avoid them if possible.

I've already received some gold so I can act as the banker till we get the party up and running.

Personally I'd like to hit the ground fully formed (platform and such) along with Norwegian speaking leadership so volunteers are required. I don't think my ability to order beer in several languages will enable me to step up immediately but perhaps once we are more established... :D

I suggest working on the platform here.

I will try to write something for the OR as well.

I have about ten gold or something between my character and business... It just sucks that it's so damn hard to make a profit. It is probably better in a large country but for us there is not much of a market for what I make, and every country has such enormous tariffs if you export to them that you can't make money that way....

Now that the donations have been collected, let me suggest a party name: Individualist Party. I prefer it to "Capitalist Party" because it captures our political ideas and not just economics.

I think both 'Individualist' and 'Capitalist' remain unaltered in Norwegian. (Can someone confirm this?)

Since this game is geared toward war, if one starts with the principle of Rationality, one would want to be belligerent. In the context of the game, it is a virtue to go to war. That would be a good thing. In other words, belligerence is a virtue: though lesser that rationality. I was quite annoyed when my current location -- Canada -- did not have a war for almost a whole day, and i almost moved. Then, they did an alliance with someone so that we could fight in their war. That is a good thing.

I don't understand the notion of trying something different if it is irrational within the context of the game. What would be the idea of "trying" to live by any principle that is not fitting for a particular context. It would be a false principle: an immoral principle, in the context of the game. Besides being slanted toward war, I am not convinced that low taxes and low duties make sense in the context of the game: I have not actually thought about it a lot, but on the surface it appears that there are no real regional comparative cost advantages when it comes to productive areas (other than in basic extraction). So, protectionism is probably not a hugely losing proposition. Similarly, the game probably has a fair number of people who try it out for a little while but move on, so a high income tax may actually make sense as a way for those who remain to take some of those people's money.

My broader point is this: if one applies a principle that does not fit the context of the game, then one sets oneself up to lose. Why would one do this? One cannot prove the viability of the principle premised on one context by using it in a opposite context. It would be the wrong principle for that context, and it wouldn't prove anything anyway.

It takes near zero time to "stay alive", so I'll probably continue to do so for a while, to see what you folks are up to, and I'm happy to send "gold" your way when you tell me to do so. Overall though, I'm bored.

I'm not complaining here guys (except perhaps to say that game is not even a simplified model of life). I genuinely do not understand the motivation in trying to do anything except work within the context of the game.

I guess I am not persuaded that war is metaphysically given in that world. There's no doubt that the deck is stacked in that direction, but the question for me is whether "waging war" really is man's nature, there.

The main problem, as far as I can see, is the lack of art or leisure electronic gadgets. I don't think that's insurmountable, but could take some persuading of highest-level management. That is, man's productivity is limited to the lowest levels (food, shelter, weapons, medicine...).

Whether protectionism and taxes are winning or loosing propositions depends on your goal, as a government. If the goal of the government is to acquire lots of gold then taxes especially and protectionism are good, but if the goal of the government is simply to create the stable social context where trade is possible (and success is measured in terms of GNP), it seems to me that taxes and probably protectionism are bad things. That's a thing that the current regjering doesn't get. The question is whether that man-made fact can be changed. I can't judge right now, but I intend to do what I can to spread rational concepts, and will hold the assumption that even in that context, life qua e-man is not fundamentally different from life qua r-man. Men det kan også være feil.

Waging war is not immoral if the target is chosen correctly.

Any free nation had the right to invade Nazi Germany and, today, has the right to invade Soviet Russia, Cuba or any other slave pen.
AR

With that in mind I'd pick Totalitarian and extreme left Libertarian states to wage war against.

sN, I agree with your complaints about the game and with most of your position about playing within the constructs of the game though.