Objectivism Online Forum

eRepublik Game:

Rate this topic

Zip

Go to the Monetary Market tab, it's right below the marketplace. there you can select to buy any kind of currency using gold, or vice versa :)

Donating doesn't automatically do that, but we could agree on something ourselves. Either that or I can pay you back in a little while once I start making a profit =P I had some moochers come in yesterday who worked with 10 wellness and produced less than I paid them...

It's kinda annoying that you can't set a minimum wellness level or something for hiring people, because right now all you can do is fire them after the fact and you've already paid them =(

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to the Monetary Market tab, it's right below the marketplace. there you can select to buy any kind of currency using gold, or vice versa :)

Donating doesn't automatically do that, but we could agree on something ourselves. Either that or I can pay you back in a little while once I start making a profit =P I had some moochers come in yesterday who worked with 10 wellness and produced less than I paid them...

It's kinda annoying that you can't set a minimum wellness level or something for hiring people, because right now all you can do is fire them after the fact and you've already paid them =(

I agree that we can come to an agreement and I will definitely take you up on it later but right now I have to get my wellness up and that means buying good food for a change.

Thanks for the info, for you, a gift.

At NOK3.98, getting 1 wellness point is not bad but buying Q4 food is a better deal at about NOK5ish for between 2.4 and 5.6 wellness depending on your starting wellness percentage..

Can anyone answer that? I am not so far yet to talk politics.... Some baseless and/or undigested slogans as "The economy is based on creating goods, not on wars" are coming to my mind, but I could not justify my position and would not know how exactly to address his further thoughts.......

I think the game design indeed encourages wars.

Notice that, in order to maximize productivity, most employers want their employees to have 90+ wellness. How do the employees maintain high wellness? Not by consuming food (which is too costly), but by means of a government owned hospital which they can visit for free after fighting in a battle. The point to note is that you must fight in a battle in order to visit a hospital. Further, hospitals are necessarily state owned.

One thing I just noticed is that we need to have an organization to buy raw materials for companies outside of the country... does anyone know if you start out with any gold so it would be possible to maybe pool a few gold per person and start one? I don't have enough money myself right now to make an organization, and I will run out of raw materials (diamonds) in about two days otherwise :)

We need 5 gold total for that; I have about 2.5 myself..

According to the Wiki, you can buy diamonds for your company. The benefit of the organization would be that you could buy other materials for different types of companies. This is part of the co-op thing I mentioned, but there would have to be some good rules for it. I'm not really in position to be thinking about pooling money or starting a company, so I haven't given much thought to it yet.

According to the Wiki, you can buy diamonds for your company. The benefit of the organization would be that you could buy other materials for different types of companies. This is part of the co-op thing I mentioned, but there would have to be some good rules for it. I'm not really in position to be thinking about pooling money or starting a company, so I haven't given much thought to it yet.

That is correct, but companies are only allowed to buy raw materials in their own country. Norway doesn't have diamonds and noone imports them, so I cannot buy them there =(

Edited by Maarten

I bought a company just now. I made some job openings there in case anyone wants to work for me; I'll make sure you get paid above average wages as long as there's some profit left afterwards :( Then we all profit!

The company name is Benevolence Inc. It's a gift making company so it's mostly useful for those people who do manufacturing work. Message me if you need a specific skill level job, or if you're currently getting paid more. We can work something out then :)

IN! Thank you!

Sent a friend request too. Missed you in the beginning.

That is correct, but companies are only allowed to buy raw materials in their own country. Norway doesn't have diamonds and noone imports them, so I cannot buy them there =(

Yeah, I noticed that later on today. I would definitely assist in creating an organization, so I could use it in the future, but I don't have enough NOK to convert to gold.

Guys, if you have above 40 wellness, try fighting somewhere and use the hospitals to boost your wellness. It really is the only way to get your wellness up to good levels in the game. I don't like having to do it either, but it makes you so much more productive that it's really hard not to do that. I think we simply wouldn't be competitive in the game without doing that. Let me know if you need a moving ticket to fight; I don't think you always do, though :lol:

Fighting costs you 10 wellness, but when you use the hospital (I think limited to once a day) you get 10 x quality of hospital wellness back. So even with a 3 quality hospital you gain 20 net wellness for doing that; which means in a few days you'll be maxed out. It also gives you good experience and stuff :)

Edited by Maarten

Go here http://www.erepublik.com/en/exchange#buy_c...ncies=37;page=1, - click on "Sell" (top left with the Norwegian flag) and then when the drop down shows click on "gold" to convert it into currency.

I got a tiny bit more than NOK90 for an ounce.

To add to what Maarten said, fighting also makes you stronger which will be good for our eventual creation of a country. So by all means fight, choose a fight that Norway is in and you don't need a travel voucher.

Buy a weapon too! :lol:

Yeah, I wanted to convert gold to NOK to a weapon.

You use up the weapon in a battle though so unless you're independently wealthy I'd advise against spending too much.

That 18% income tax in Norway is quite a pain. Because Norway doesn't produce any diamonds itself i need to buy them somewhere else, and that pretty much means that I lose 18% of whatever money I withdraw from the company's accounts... And because profit margins are so tiny right now with all those random 15 wellness people mooching off the company (you guys are much better, though! :)), it means that I have to take a small loss just to keep the business running.

I think one of the first campaigns that would be amazing for us is to see if we can reduce some of the taxes in that country. I might try and contact some of the congressmen in our country and see if they'd support a modest reduction in income taxes for gifts =) If it drops to even 10% that would be awesome.

Also, it wouldn't be nearly as hard if you could buy diamonds in Norway directly, but no one sells them there =( Sad.

That 18% income tax in Norway is quite a pain. Because Norway doesn't produce any diamonds itself i need to buy them somewhere else, and that pretty much means that I lose 18% of whatever money I withdraw from the company's accounts... And because profit margins are so tiny right now with all those random 15 wellness people mooching off the company (you guys are much better, though! :)), it means that I have to take a small loss just to keep the business running.

I think one of the first campaigns that would be amazing for us is to see if we can reduce some of the taxes in that country. I might try and contact some of the congressmen in our country and see if they'd support a modest reduction in income taxes for gifts =) If it drops to even 10% that would be awesome.

Also, it wouldn't be nearly as hard if you could buy diamonds in Norway directly, but no one sells them there =( Sad.

Income tax doesn't affect donations does it? If not, I recommend working with people in other countries to get your materials. Both parties can simply donate the necessary amounts to each other. It would be worth while, it's not like you can go to jail for tax evasion. About those employees with poor health, can you control who you hire and fire?

About those employees with poor health, can you control who you hire and fire?

You can fire an employee. I know having been fired when I was a low level and had poor health. The boss warned me about my health and then fired me.

Yeah, you can fire people, but you can't prevent them from working and getting paid that first time. So sometimes you still lose money. I don't really care about the people with 40 wellbeing, but once they get down to 15 or so wellbeing they barely produce anything for their skill level and wages, and you make a pretty big loss.

Yeah, I am currently selling in Moldavia because gifts are worth about 25% more there. In terms of gold they sell for about 0.06 gold each, and in Norway it's only 0.044. Seeing how my costs are about 0.05 gold per gift right now, I need to sell in Moldavia because otherwise I'd just lose money. But let me know if you want to buy gifts from the company directly, I can always put up a few for sale so you guys can buy them.

I don't believe a company can donate merchandise directly, sadly enough.

As for trading with someone else, the problem is that a company cannot make donations itself, you first have to withdraw the money and that is what triggers the income tax.

The only way around the income tax is to buy stuff directly with the company; because then you use pre-tax money; but that only works if the item is for sale in your country.

the import taxes on diamonds in Norway are very low, actually, so maybe someone will start selling diamonds there :) But up to that time I think the best bet would be to try and reduce income taxes on gifts so it is cheaper to withdraw money from the company and purchase things with it. ALso, people would get more money that way.

I think I will look into running for congress next cycle if I can do so, I think if everyone who can vote voted for me I would probably get in, and I might be able to propose some better tax policies?

Just Signed Up,

And Frankly I'm Excited to actually play with fellow O'ists. From my experiences with other MMOs, namely WoW, having rational, free-market oriented people is clearly the best way to victory, even if those people wouldn't at first describe themselves that way. Those for "the greater good" fellows are pure cancers, fellows who generally hate themselves, and strangely, generally hate the game too. Hopefully we can get something good going.

See ya in Norway!

I think I will look into running for congress next cycle if I can do so, I think if everyone who can vote voted for me I would probably get in, and I might be able to propose some better tax policies?

Just reached level 7. Have we talked about an appropriate party to join as a "start up"?

Just reached level 7. Have we talked about an appropriate party to join as a "start up"?

Maarten had mentioned one, Gullpartiet, they're center right Libertarian oriented.

The thing I was wondering is if our intention is to move at some point isn't the politics of Norway a waste of time and resources? Or do you require some sort of political skill level to start a party?

Well, it's mostly just very expensive. And I think parties are based on whatever country they were started in. I believe it costs 40 gold to start a party =( On the contrast, it is free to join one and I think you can run in the congressional elections if you choose to, as long as you get votes...

I don't know if we want to move at some point; it'll probably be quite a long time from now either way, because we're not nearly strong enough to do a resistance war anywhere, if we want to do that. I think it would at least be worth a try to reform this country?

I agree. Build here. Maybe build up some other motivated individuals too. If that can affect the country, maybe it is attractive to the resources of other capitalists too.

Agreed on Gullipartiet then as the political host?

Maarten is already a member. I have no problem with that. I'll join immediately.