Objectivism Online Forum

Help me defend liberty against my liberal professors

Rate this topic

The health care debate has been heating up at my school and my liberal professors are spreading their bias into our classrooms. They are showing us videos and "informing us" about the truth of universal health care . They are even doing this in classes where the topic isn't even relevant.

If you could link some articles about the moral and practical issue of health care so I can get some more ammunition I would be much obliged.

Where to start ...

1> Men have inalienable rights, which means that men are not the servants of government. There is and can be no right to health care, because there is no right to force another person to give you anything.

2> Socialized medicine is a disaster any where it is tried. It does not lead to "universal" care. Rather, it causes shortages and thus leads to rationing. It is so far from being "universal" it's ridiculous to claim it is. Furthermore, the care they do give is usually very sub-par.

3> Free markets work and work well. Prior to 1960 in the U.S. we had a much freer market in health care, and health care was much more affordable, of the highest quality, and virtually universal, certainly much more so than any socialized medical system.

4> The cost increases in health care have all been caused by government programs and regulations. Medicare is a government program, and is more than 100 times as costly as it was projected to be at this time 40+ years ago. It's become a massive burden. Regulations on the insurance industry, and the third party payment system (the employer is the customer, not the employee), caused by government, is the reason why there is a disconnect in the market wrt insurance.

As to sources, try capitalism.net. Professor Reisman has an excellent pamphlet/paper on the history of health care in America. It will give you the causal mechanisms behind the problems from the standpoint of an economist. It's on the front page, title is "The Real Right To Health Care Versus Socialized Medicine". It was written in 1994 or so, but it's all solid, which is why he reposted it.

Also, the book "Code Blue: Health Care In Crisis" by MD Edward Annis also gives the history of health care in America going by to the 1930s. Annis started practicing medicine in the 1930s, and ran a hospital in Miami in the 1960s. He relates how people got treatment back then and provides perspective from that of an actual doctor. This was also written about 1993, but is still very relevant and available at Amazon.com.

Btw, is this is Canada? If so, then why are they getting involved in our debate? The Canadian health care is terrible, and it is socialized, so hopefully they aren't using that as justification.

That video was pretty bad. It's especially annoying that it was narrated by a college kid, shown to his peers.

The basic argument that refutes all of the others is that nobody has a right to healthcare. The difference between private insurance and government tax money is THE difference. The former, nobody has a claim on anyone else, it's all voluntary. In contrast, all tax money is expropriated, with no voluntary agreement of terms and conditions. It comes down to who owns a person's life? Is it the doctor's decision to be a doctor, or can the patient demand that the doctor practice? Also, is it my decision to pay a doctor whatever his price, or should a government bureaucrat decide that for me?

Other simple refutations off the top of my head:

• How could the government politicians possibly run a business better than its professionals? Where do the politicians gain their expert knowledge? Simple logic answers that one.
  • What is wrong with profit? Why is less profit better?
  • Who is saying that the existing government-run enterprises are good and efficient? The best way to judge is to compare government run enterprises to businesses. In general, which obviously achieves better outcomes?

Edited by JASKN

That video was awesome!!!! I'm going to see if I can play it in the same class.

Although I wanted to point out the video that was shown was not produced in my class it was just shown by my professor. The class is about communications within businesses. Has nothing to do with producing videos and health care.

Btw, is this is Canada? If so, then why are they getting involved in our debate? The Canadian health care is terrible, and it is socialized, so hopefully they aren't using that as justification.

No. I live in Vancouver Washington not Canada, although many people make that mistake especially since the two are so close. I would like to point out however that Vancouver Wa was named in 1825 nearly 30 years before Vancouver Canada and is the forth largest city in Washington and is part of Portland metro area which is 23rd largest in the country.

Thanks for the information. If anyone else runs into anymore good articles or arguments be sure to let me know. I need too keep up to date to keep the Liberal wolves at bay.

Edited by Rearden_Steel

The health care debate has been heating up at my school and my liberal professors are spreading their bias into our classrooms. They are showing us videos and "informing us" about the truth of universal health care . They are even doing this in classes where the topic isn't even relevant.

If you could link some articles about the moral and practical issue of health care so I can get some more ammunition I would be much obliged.

It's not their job to spread their political agenda in class when they are paid to teach other things. Maybe you can politely point it out, something like: "Not to be rude, professor, but I don't believe the classroom is a place for teachers to spread their political views. People come here to learn, not to listen to your opinion about healthcare".

As for arguments - well, you can point out that it is unjust (redistribution of wealth as such is unjust) and that in countries where it has been applied the results are disastrous and cost a lot of human life, so for any of those who pretend like they are FOR human life, and still have the knowledge your professors do, consider the facts from this video:

PJTV Undercover: Steven Crowder Investigates CanadaCare...Will ObamaCare Be Any Better?

It erases any doubt as to whether or not an educated person can honestly support government healthcare because of "caring for human beings".