Objectivism Online Forum

Tim Minchin

Rate this topic

LandonWalsh

His line; "What do you call alternative medicine that's been proved to work... Medicine" comes in handy with that particular sort of person.

I've used that line on people before. Here is another one that makes me smile. If you open your mind too much your brain might fall out:

For the record, just in case, be sure not to confuse "Tim Minchin, rational Australian comedian" with "Tom Minchin, Objectivist Australian HBL'er". I don't know what the relationship between the two is, or even if there is any - and I've been too slack to ask Tom about it :)

I did find out, however, that Tim is the second cousin of Senator Nick Minchin, who has been instrumental in the campaign against Cap and Trade. I don't know if the two men are (at least partly) rational as a result of independent thoughts or because they've been taught similar values and epistemologies via family connections and preferred schools etc.

JJM

Tim Minchin is funny and witty, but I can't take the cynicism. That level of cynicism is just over the top. I listened to several of his acts and he's drenched in this perspective. He has moments where he sees the beauty of life, it seems, but then maybe that's the set up for his negative outlook.

Tim Minchin is funny and witty, but I can't take the cynicism. That level of cynicism is just over the top. I listened to several of his acts and he's drenched in this perspective. He has moments where he sees the beauty of life, it seems, but then maybe that's the set up for his negative outlook.

By no means would I call Tim a cynic. More of just a talented satirist. For example, his song "do you really love me" I dont think he really wants his wife to urinate in a flask for him. And I dont think he believes "not eating pigs" will bring Israel and Palestine together.

By no means would I call Tim a cynic. More of just a talented satirist. For example, his song "do you really love me" I dont think he really wants his wife to urinate in a flask for him. And I dont think he believes "not eating pigs" will bring Israel and Palestine together.

"I wake up in the morning at 11:47 and I can't believe I have to face the horror of another fuck'n day."

Seems cynical.

I enjoy his comedy to a point, but in measured doses.

This was my favorite:

"I don't think you're special. I mean, you're special, but you fall within a bell curve." Love that.

Nope, I can't see a single sign of satire or cynicism in Minchin's work.

It's like he's an intelligent, rational-realist, who is also a 'naif' (if that's possible). There's a strong sense of celebrating life in everything I've seen.

I think what's confusing to his viewers is that he really and truly MEANS every thing he says!

Nope, I can't see a single sign of satire or cynicism in Minchin's work.

There is unquestionably satire in his work. The first link about is a satirical piece if ever there was one.

I may have been a little hasty in my judgment of his level of cynicism, but the example I give definitely conveys a cynical view of life. I've listened to several more of his routines since then and I think he's better than my first impression gave me.

It's like he's an intelligent, rational-realist, who is also a 'naif' (if that's possible). There's a strong sense of celebrating life in everything I've seen.

I think what's confusing to his viewers is that he really and truly MEANS every thing he says!

I think he's brilliant and fun to listen to, but you can have a very positive sense of life conveyed in comedy and be real world oriented. I mean, Bill Cosby springs to mind, as do several of the comedians from decades past.

Yes, guess there is some satirical comment there; I think I was comparing him with the typical hard-bitten satirist/cynic who can only ridicule and diminish.

Minchin goes beyond this, putting down the mindless, but also upholding reality. :lol:

• 9 months later...
I may have been a little hasty in my judgment of his level of cynicism, but the example I give definitely conveys a cynical view of life. I've listened to several more of his routines since then and I think he's better than my first impression gave me.

I've always felt this cynicism could go two way.

Either he is actually cynical himself, or he is playing "devil's advocate" and assuming the cynicism of the average person so that he can point out how absurd their self loathing is.

Also, you used "Well I wake up in the morning at 11:47..." as an example, but it never struck me that this was a cynical song because of what it develops into... The overall concept I took from it was effectively "Stop being a whiny moocher thinking that the life you want should just be handed to you. Look around you at the world, all the people whom were born by no fault of their own into third world nations and THEN tell me that you have a right to ask life to just be handed to you on a plate."

Also, one of my favorites is his stand-up on "Tony the Fish" or Evolution vs. Religion. The conclusion he draws at the end is just superb. The way he constructs it is great.

Enjoy! :)